Carbon

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RobMac

Carbon

Post by RobMac »

How practical is carbon in real world bike packing? We all know the benefits of carbon but how does it stand up to the type of environment that bike packing will throw at it?
Last edited by RobMac on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Re: Carbon

Post by ScotRoutes »

As long as you've taped it to avoid rubbing from straps, what damage do you think that bikepacking would do a carbon frame?

I run carbon forks on my B+ and never think twice about it.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

It was bars and seat posts in particular I was thinking about but yeah frame as well with forks less so.
I am aware of frame tape, but once your through the finish on carbon the structural integrity is compromised unlike steel or alloy where its just cosmetic mainly.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've used electrical tap on bars under the strap and they're still fine.
Like Colin says, tape it up and you'll be fine.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ive broken a Carbon seatpost before : probably just outside of its design limits with a seatpack and a fat bloater in the saddle :lol:

Think I overtightened the seat clamp to stop slippage
Last edited by Mart on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2924 miles per Gallon
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I had my frame taped... but I also run pretty thick masking tape wherever there might be rub. Easy to tell if it's wearing through so it can be replaced whenever.
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

I feel my 29er carbon hardtail with carbon rigid forks is perfect for bikepacking, also carbon bar & seat post. I want my bike to be as light as possible while maintaining durability. Have been toying with going with carbon hoops but think that might be a step to far in the rigid stakes, alu hoops give a little bit of comfort. I would like to try a 650b+ setup if I did though?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I ran with some carbon bars (Crank Brothers Cobalt 11) on Lois for a while...didn't tape 'em...made some nice little notches where the Revelate bar harness contacted the bar. Have since been removed and replaced with Bonty alu's. As mentioned above, tape, tape and perhaps some more tape. At which point, the weight saving is possibly not there over a set of alu's and all that remains is the dampening quality.

Greetz

S.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

Also dead easy and cheap to repair a carbon frame vs Ti or steel.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Scattamah wrote:As mentioned above, tape, tape and perhaps some more tape. At which point, the weight saving is possibly not there over a set of alu's and all that remains is the dampening quality.
I could put an entire roll of masking tape on the bike and it'd still be lighter than my other frames. :lol:

As it is, I've added maybe 15g of tape.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Thanks for the feed back guys :wink: