SPD shoes for extended hike a bike? Lakeland 200 content!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Polisherman

SPD shoes for extended hike a bike? Lakeland 200 content!

Post by Polisherman »

So if it's not absolutely hoofin' down on the 20th May, then I'm going to have a crack at the LL200.

My XC shoes are falling apart, so looking for something like the Giro Terraduro...
Any other suggestions? Not too keen on the skateboard style of things... :wink:
Wotsits

Re: SPD shoes for extended hike a bike? Lakeland 200 content

Post by Wotsits »

Imo the best 'clip-in' shoes for hike-a-bike are the Shimano MT91/(new version XM9). But because they're not that stiff for riding in, are best used with a platform type pedal.

I've also got Terraduro's, they're good & better suited for riding as they're stiffer, or for use with pedals with a smaller platform.
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

MT71 great shoes. I use on road and mtb and they have a nice Vibram sole for HAB
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Although I kinda love my MT91's i hate the fact that they hold the water in as well as out. Perhaps they need mini scupper valves as fitted to boats.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I know you asked for SPD shoes but if you have flats then some of the fell/trail running shoes from the likes of Inov8 might fit the bill.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Check out the Mavic Alpine range. They're made by Salomon who know own a thing or two about walking shoes.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

It depends whether you are intending to pedal much. MT91s are good but don't drain, and I find with swollen ankles they rub.

I did the HT550 in 2014 in a pair of Pearl Izumi X Alp Seeks, which are basically running shoes with cleats. Very flexible and comfy, not too stiff, but not the most efficient for pedalling as the upstroke is non existent.

Specialized Rimes are good too, although the new Velcro-only version worries me a bit because Velcro and bog trudging don't mix. I have both the new and old (Boa) version but don't want to use the new ones until I absolutely have to.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Giro Rumble VR. Vibram sole. Laces. Extremely comfortable. Recessed SPD so great for walking in. Water drains well. Did me well on last years HT550.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Giro Junctions have done me well for HT550 and 2 x LL200s

The soles aren't very grippy on wet lakeland rock though.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Mavics.
I bought some Spesh Rimes on a recommendation from here, and whilst they are good to walk in for a cycling shoe, the mavics are good to walk in for a walking shoe :-bd
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I wear Shimano xm9 boots, they're great for hike a bike with the vibram sole unit and once I broke them in they are really comfy. They're gore-Tex though so once the waters in it stays in
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Specialized Rimes for me.

The Velcro ones too. They've managed several bb200s, the HT 550 and 20,000km of other rides too. Was concerned about all Velcro but have had zero issues.

For the LL200 I'd probably use flats and fell shoes (but I have a big stock of them from when I used to be a runner)
Howard

Post by Howard »

Blair512 wrote:I wear Shimano xm9 boots, they're great for hike a bike with the vibram sole unit and once I broke them in they are really comfy. They're gore-Tex though so once the waters in it stays in
What Blair said. But I also wear merino compression knee length socks under sealskin mid length socks with the lightweight trekmate gaiters on top. With that setup I got round the CL with dry feet this year, even using stepping stones that were 12" under. If it's over calf deep, I take socks and gaiters off, walk across in boots, tip the water out on the other side and then put dry socks back on. A bit of a faff if a lot of crossings, but you have comfy dry feet that don't rub and can do extended HAB. Like I said, didn't need to do any of that for the CL this year :-bd
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Another vote for Mavic Alpines, or whatever they renamed them. Great for riding and HAB, but my first pair wore out after two years of moderate use, and the replacements are back waiting warranty repair after the ratchet snapped. Using cheap Rimes at the moment and they are OK so far, but a bit heavy and absorb a lot of water.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Mavics, laced/velcro type. Used to be Crossride Elite, now called XA Elite.
Mulitple HT550, MTB from Jersey to Shetlands, 2x traverse of Iceland but mostly Alpine stuff (I'm Swiss) etc. Last me about 5 - 10 k km biking which comes with about 500 - 1000 km HAB. After that they start to fall apart, but can still be used. I'm on my third pair and will very soon get my forth.
PJG

Post by PJG »

I bought a pair of Giro Rumble VRs on Karl's recommendation, and they've been great.
I wore them for my recent Lakeland 200 trip, and they were spot on. Admittedly, I've not tried them in the wet yet.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

From comments above ......what platform style (SHIMANO) pedals do people recommend for use with the SPD boots?
Last edited by Asposium on Wed May 03, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use Candys. Not a huge platform but seems to be enough.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Asposium wrote:From comments above ......what platform style (SHIMANO) pedals do people recommend for use with the SPD boots?
XT and XTR Trails.
Both have developed a comparable amount of play (bearings) after a similar amount of use.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Alpinum wrote: XT and XTR Trails.
Both have developed a comparable amount of play (bearings) after a similar amount of use.
Yeah, great pedals (I have XT) they've done thousands of miles and are really easy to regrease/flush out the bearings. Unthread the spindle, push fresh grease in the pedal body, re-insert spindle, old grease is forced out of the bearings as you tighten up the spindle.
Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

Wow! Great replies! Plenty to look at there. The Spesh Rimes look interesting, and the Mavics too. Oh and the Giro Rumbles................ :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

mountainbaker wrote:
Alpinum wrote: XT and XTR Trails.
Yeah, great pedals (I have XT) they've done thousands of miles and are really easy to regrease/flush out the bearings. Unthread the spindle, push fresh grease in the pedal body, re-insert spindle, old grease is forced out of the bearings as you tighten up the spindle.
Yeah, I meant to say they're good and have served me well (other to any thing from Crank Bro...).
I just wanted to point out, I haven't really found a practical difference between XT and XTR.
Both equally good.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

I use mavic alpines - decent enough on the bike and for HAB. And very cheap online in some places!

For the LL200 I used flats and a pair of Adidas terrex cross trails and they were brilliant for HAB - super grippy - and decent for pedalling too. That's what I'll be wearing for the HT550 I think.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Some very interesting comments on here ... that led to me buying Giro Rumble VR yesterday! :lol:
I normally take 43, but all the feedback on wiggle said go a size larger so hopefully 44 will be correct with merino socks.
I'm not so sure about people using Shimano (or other) waterprood boots - the water just gets trapped inside once it inevitably gets in.
I looked long and hard for Specialized Rimes and got a tip for Je James from Fitz but they didn't have my size.
My current Shimano M089 were top notch in every way, but during a recent wet and boggy reccy the front velcro straps on both shoes kept coming loose, hence my thinking about laces. I hope the Giro shoes will be the right choice.
I was considering the Northwave Outcross, but I saw a photo of the sole and there seemed to be very limited cleat adjustment.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

I get on very well with my Mavic Screes (now renamed to Crossmax Pro H2O MTB - snappy!) both for walking and riding. I found I needed around two sizes larger than I normally take, though. I presume this is due to them being sized according to the sole size and being relatively thickly padded.