Is it wrong to completely ignore the GR's and go north?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mr Arbuckle

Is it wrong to completely ignore the GR's and go north?

Post by Mr Arbuckle »

I have plotted several routes over the last few weeks but only a few days ago I was lured by Cadair Idris and was going to detour up there and then back down towards elan Valley, then loop back up to pennant on day 3 but am tempted also to carry on north of Cadair Idris and meander up to Bala and back again.

so the two routes look a bit like this:
which route.gif
which route.gif (223.48 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
Can't decide what to do??? any advice
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Is it wrong to completely ignore the GR's and go north?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While not 'wrong', I do sometimes wonder 'why' ... bumping into other riders is part of the shared experience.

Also seems a little odd to head north to then come back past the start to go south, to then go back north again?

And another also ... do you mean ride up Cadair? There's far more interesting rides out there if you do.

... saying all that, do as you please as long as you enjoy yourself. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mr Arbuckle

Post by Mr Arbuckle »

so is it not worth the ride up to cadair then?

There's just not enough time and there's too much Wales lol.

My original plan to go south and loop round the reservoirs at elan and back up looked godd but then so does cadair and its about 30 ish miles off orad from pennant to cadair if my route planning is correct so to go up there and then come back is a 60 mile round trip prior to going south.

I agree, bumping into others is part of a shared experience, but also riding solo and getting away from it all is part of my personal experience.

come Friday/Saturday all this may change though!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just leave Cadair 'til WRT 2018 - Stuart's bound to include it now :smile: .

Admittedly I'm just as bad - I was originally gonna go north simply because I couldn't extract myself from the "tractor beam" of the Tywyn Chippie... "you are in our power" etc etc.

This does sound a little bit like something I read once in those tedious "visitors comments" books you get in holiday cottages. We were in some place near Brecon, and the previous mob had written something like "had a day out climbing Snowdon which seemed to take quite a long time to get to". Like there was nothing equally beautiful/challenging near Brecon. I presume they subsequently wrote to the Welsh Govt requesting they move her majesty 100 miles south so it was "easier to get to". Barmy. Er, holiday cottage in Llanberis next time maybe? </rant>

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I seriously considered going North to sleep up Cadair...

Decided against it in the end and am instead going to re-ride my 2015 route, which is much more southerly and in line with this years GRs...

Si
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What's the draw with Cadair? It's a nice enough mountain but the ride is dull and it'll be busy over the weekend. Perhaps people have missed the fact that one of this years GR is located on one of the wildest, most remote and quietest mountains in Wales?
Decided against it in the end and am instead going to re-ride my 2015 route, which is much more southerly and in line with this years GRs...
You going riding the lovely secret singletrack through the woods again then Si? And at every turn a pristine and stunning bivvy spot :wink:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Some of us are heading even more north for a night featured in and Ian Barrington film and a day around a well known trail centre which has a hopefully quiet(er) bothy.
There's nothing it the rules to say you can't in fact are there any rules at all?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's nothing it the rules to say you can't in fact are there any rules at all?
A f*ckin' trail centre ... there might not be any rules but there is a spirit :roll:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

If it's like their last ride I'd be astonished if they even make it there, let alone actually go around it. :ugeek:

I know that route of Ian's... it's got some bastard steep bits in it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry John, on reflection I was probably a bit harsh there ... go where you like. I recall the CyB cafe can be a bit of an adventure in its own right.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Try the Tarw Burger. It's delicious.

The chilli cheese crumpets are a delight too.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Sorry John, on reflection I was probably a bit harsh there ... go where you like. I recall the CyB cafe can be a bit of an adventure in its own right.
OK when I say ride a trail centre. I mean ride the fun bits to get the the great pub to the north of of for a slap up Sunday roast.and ride back to the bothy at its southern part..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

OK when I say ride a trail centre. I mean ride the fun bits to get the the great pub to the north of of for a slap up Sunday roast.and ride back to the bothy at its southern part..
Now, that instantly sounds much better. :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Now, that instantly sounds much better. :wink:

And to be fair, while I'm not a huge trail centre fan I think most people would prefer to ride some of coed y Brennin than that nearby BW that feature in THAT BB200.

:wink:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
A f*ckin' trail centre ... there might not be any rules but there is a spirit :roll:
Doesn't nant yr Arian feature in most WRT routes?
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:You going riding the lovely secret singletrack through the woods again then Si? And at every turn a pristine and stunning bivvy spot :wink:
Yes I think I will...

:-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

benp1 wrote:Doesn't nant yr Arian feature in most WRT routes?
Funnily enough, it's in mine for the first time ever... though sadly none of the good bits. :(
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No and never has apart from the very first WRT. There is sometimes GR around Nant y Moch and surrounding area but the 'trails' - na. :wink:
And to be fair, while I'm not a huge trail centre fan I think most people would prefer to ride some of coed y Brennin than that nearby BW that feature in THAT BB200.

... and you said you enjoyed it. :wink:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
No and never has apart from the very first WRT. There is sometimes GR around Nant y Moch and surrounding area but the 'trails' - na. :wink:
Sorry, I meant most of the WRTer routes this year, from what I've seen anyway. The long route past nant y moch, which is apparently black, is excellent

It was you that sent me down there the first time, although it was very wet. Lovely part of the world
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:

... and you said you enjoyed it. :wink:
I did. But I'm not most people :-bd
Robster

Post by Robster »

darbeze wrote:Post by darbeze » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
You going riding the lovely secret singletrack through the woods again then Si? And at every turn a pristine and stunning bivvy spot :wink:

Yes I think I will...
If it's where we slept on the first night, one of the best bivvies yet, didn't even know it had rained under the tarp.