First time in hammock. Any advice or tips please.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

First time in hammock. Any advice or tips please.

Post by Sarah »

A friend is taking me out to try out a hammock in a couple of days. Just wondering what I need to take etc. Red wine is top of the list. :oops: down bag, should I take a small thermo rest to insulate underneath me? Taking a full mat and bivi in case I don't get on, or in, the thing. :o

Any recommendations or warnings please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Sarah.
Sarah
MarkW

Re: First time in hammock. Any advice or tips please.

Post by MarkW »

Yes. You'll need something under you for insulation. I use a foam multimat between the layers of my hammock. Many use a quilt which attaches underneath.
Practice your knots. And getting the right sag. Also lie in it diagonally.
JamesT

Post by JamesT »

Lie in the hammock on the diagonal to increase comfort, a thermarest is a good idea to reduce back draft -lots of tips here :
https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/
Happy hanging !
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I had a Hennessy hammock for a short while, I found it very comfortable but what a faff! For a start it weighed more than many tents and my arse got cold, the other thing i disliked was that it's just a sleeping space, if you want a brew or anything else You have to get out. In warmer climates it might be a great idea but in the uk with all the additional insulation etc for me it just didn't work.

They are fun though
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Ive been using hammocks for a couple of months, so some tips from another beginner. They are a bit of a faff but they go up fast enough with practice.

Love using mine - most of my camps are in woods where the ground is basically mulch and filth, and I like not having to roll around in it. Mostly though I just sleep better, and Ive never really slept well while camping.

- set the height low so you can reach the ground and stop yourself swinging after you get in. This also gives you somewhere to sit while you drink your morning coffee, another huge benefit of hammocks. They're like big rocking chairs.

- not all hammocks let you sleep on the diagonal and, in any event, you'll find the mat underneath you will move around. If you have one with two layers, as above, a biggish closed-cell foam mat slid in there is a great way to insulate yourself. Mine doesn't so the past few nights Ive used a cheap reflective mat under my shoulders, as welll as my Neoair, whcih worked ok but keeping it all together when you get in and move about was a pain, so Ive recently given in and ordered a proper down underquilt

- if its raining get your tarp up quite high at first and make sure you've got some drip lines on each end, as well as on your hammock lines. This'll stop water running down into your hammock

- Ive tried the tarp in an A-frame and diagonally and prefer the latter as it gives you far more shelter, especially if you gather the ends by clipping the two first tie outs together - sort of like a floating tent. I also prefer to put the ridge line under the tarp, as you can get a tighter pitch and it gives you some where to hang stuff. Take an extra long guy line too, find a big long stick and you can raise one of the corners to increase your sheltered area. And just watch everyone crawl out from under their tarps to come and join you

- and don't leave your tree huggers (the things that you wrap around the tree) on your kitchen table :oops:
I'm just going outside ...