Bikepacking bags on bike or on yer back?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mr Arbuckle

Bikepacking bags on bike or on yer back?

Post by Mr Arbuckle »

Just curious as to peoples experiences and preferences with regard to kit carrying whilst bikepacking, for overnighters, long weekends, week long trips +

I started bikepacking just about a year ago when I got my fatbike and planned a trip to switzerland for 9 days, I loaded the bike with an obscene amount of bags and gear and off I went, it was a struggle on some ascents and hike a bike sections were near impassable due to the weight of the bike + kit. upon returning I spent several months upgrading to lightweight but still functional kit and made a conscious decision to get all the kit on my back in a pack. In winter the loads for weekend and long weekend trips was around the 7-8kg mark and that was manageable, my summer kit is coming in at around 4kg which should be better. but now thinking that perhaps the best of both worlds might be the way to go, split the load?

Thoughts? :???:
jamiep

Re: Bikepacking bags on bike or on yer back?

Post by jamiep »

on the rare occasions I have ANYTHING on my back rather than on the bike, it is a small, unloaded hip bag
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

most stuff in my bike bags, if only a weekend normally seat pack and frame bag for tools. but i do like to still have my small camel back with water nd food in it
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There are just three situations where I wear a rucksack when bikepacking these days:

1. A small Camelbak if there's going to be a long way between reliable water sources. This is usually when doing ITTs
2. In winter when the bulk of stuff means that it can be tricky to get everything on the bike.
3. When trying things out - I'll have the new kit on the bike with a backup in the rucksack.

A total of a couple of trips a year.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Chew

Post by Chew »

As the internet, get all opinions.....

Off road I generally use a bag, although it doesn't usually hold much. Waterproofs, snacks, etc.
Tend to find you get advantages with any riding that's going to involve bike a hike, as it's easier to manhandle the bike.

If you already have a bag, just take a bit out at a time and transfer it to the bike and see how you get on.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Highly depends on the trip and objective (if there is one). Basically the more technical and downhill oriented the riding gets and the more I have to carry the bike, the more stuff goes on my back 'till all left is a little framebag (thin lightweight fabric) with tubes and a small airmat. On a bikepacking trip with easier terrain (like HT550) I only carry electronics and water in my rucksack, also some of the food after restoking.
On easier terrain ... I don't go bikepacking...
But I would put everything on my bike for terrain like on the TD (which I've never ridden).
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

All on bike.
I do have a Wingnut for winter rides where more is needed and a soft small crushable back pack to carry clogs to the bothy when needed.