Braunton 150

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

biggaygibbon

Braunton 150

Post by biggaygibbon »

Morning peeps.

Am up to over 30 names on the start list. I will take Mr Goldsmith's approach and keep adding names over 40 as no doubt I good few of the keen spirits will fall be the wayside by the time April 14th comes around.

The course is a little tweaked - a couple of rip snorter steep climbs replaced with more gradual coastal alternatives. Alan says I must be getting soft. :-)

Hope everyone is enjoying the sun.

All the best.
whitestone

Re: Braunton 150

Post by whitestone »

A good strategy - even established fell runs around here (limited due to "requests" from Natural England) do the same. The organiser reckons on 15% not turning up so he accepts 450 entries for a 400 limit and ends up with just under 400 runners. For newer events like yours then 50% no-shows can be common.

It's the modern way: see something; sign up for it; forget about it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Is the tweaked route the one on the website or will that be sent out nearer the time?

For us singlespeeders does "a couple of rip snorter steep climbs replaced with more gradual coastal alternatives" translate as "excuses to push replaced with climbs just about manageable with the ratio chosen but leave you questioning you sanity for not having gears" :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I hope that road climb out of Heddon's Mouth up to Trentishoe is still in. Beast.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

That climb may have been 'edited'.
Have just tried to create a bit more flow. The overall climbing is little different but I wanted to take in a bit more of the coast. Very few changes overall though.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

oh god I remember that trentishoe climb. I couldn't believe how slow I was going - 4.4km/h average :lol:
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

35 down. Exciting.
New route on site a bit later today.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianpv wrote:oh god I remember that trentishoe climb. I couldn't believe how slow I was going - 4.4km/h average :lol:
Well there was certainly "flow" when I struggled up that climb - about 3cm of water heading in the opposite direction! :o
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

whitestone wrote:Well there was certainly "flow" when I struggled up that climb - about 3cm of water heading in the opposite direction! :o
Count yourself lucky, it was icy when I went up it.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Ben,

Just looking at the new route on the site, there's a lot of A road from Combe Martin to Ilfracombe, unlike last years route, is that a mistake?

biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

No this years route for the group start will be different. I will email it out this weekend. There is a road section round past Watermouth Caste to Ilfracombe. But there is an added off road climb out of Lee and technical descent. All evens out.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Why not use the sustran route that's a little inland? Riding A-roads isn't fun IMO.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Some A-Roads are fine (and probably shouldn't have the name). Others, very much not.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

The course will be the course. It will be fine. x
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

To expand a little. The coastal A399 there is a stunning bit of coastal road. The section from Combe Martin to Ilfracombe is tricky as there is little bridleway and the back roads are super steep and its tricky to get any flow East to West. So I have made it nice and simple with the A399 between CM and Ilfracombe and added a couple of real stinker off road climbs in Lee.
If I was riding it myself, without having to stick to bridleways and the like, I would do it differently. But it has to be legit.
The A399 will have traffic on but it is only a few short miles and the scenery is much nicer than inland.
The 2nd half of the course is just as hard as last year. In fact in terms of technical descents there are a couple of real snorters.
But you can't please all of the people all of the time. Refunds will of course be available for those that don't approve of the course. :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I must admit, I'm not a great fan of particularly technical stuff when I'm all bikepacking geared up.

I've handled one of the black trails at Coed Y Brenin that way though, and aside from destroying a pair of waterproof trousers (got shaken off the saddle bag and went straight into my chain) I was fine... so hopefully no worse than that.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not on my radar for this year but I notice that there's quite a few on the start list also doing the HT550 :-bd

Did a quick comparison of this year's route and last year's and it looks like the only differences before Combe Martin are the descent into Porlock and a bit around Malmsmead. If the new descent into Porlock is as good as the track leading to that point then it should be a cracker :wink: That track was one of the highlights of what I managed to ride last year.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

Nothing too technical. And not long enough to be a pain in the arse if you don't want to ride it.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

This year I'm having my full on waterproofs with me if it even looks like it's going to rain a bit. Not repeating that crap from last year. :lol:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Not much point with full waterproofs if the weather repeats last year...they'll be soaked through in no time. Have you booked the storms yet, Ben? :)

Greetz

S.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Ben, I was just asking why not use the inland road, and it makes sense, If it's super steep and the coast road is better, and short, then that's cool. I don't know that stretch of road at all, so wasn't sure how bad/good it was. Anyway, looking forward to the riding it!
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

I appreciate the feedback. I have spend (a lot) of time riding the route and ground checking new additions. I tried to add a bit more flow to the second half of the course and take in some of the coastline as it is beautiful. Especially if the weather is good with epic views across the Bristol Channel. Hopefully everyone will 'enjoy'. The course got reasonably positive feedback last year and it is tricky. Some aspects certain people won't like but others may well love. HAB sections for instance. Some love a good yomp in spds and a mountain bike tucked on their shoulder. Others loathe it. I think if I designed the course by consensus it would end up like the People's Front of Judea.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

You are the boss and it's your course, people either like or lump it.

Last year's course was very good and I'm sure this year's will be just as good.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Except for the trudges across the churned up fields. Those bits were sub standard. :lol:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Richard G wrote:Except for the trudges across the churned up fields. Those bits were sub standard. :lol:

I blame those cursed cows. if Ben had arranged hamburgers for the start then there wouldn't have been a problem.