Winter over shorts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Winter over shorts

Post by Mike »

I know this has been covered before I think but I need some new weatherproof over shorts so what are folk recommending please.
My old altura attack have been great but now dead!
May need them for bb!
ton

Re: Winter over shorts

Post by ton »

budget, camo gortex overtrousers chopped down £15
expensive, endura mt500 £70

i know which i choose.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Think Stu recommended Tenns before (check the reviews). Pretty cheap. I picked up a pair but with time and opportunity lacking (and not such a bad summer) I haven't used them much / at all.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

if you've got the budget, sweet mudrides are by far the best waterproof short I've used.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Think Stu recommended Tenns before (check the reviews). Pretty cheap. I picked up a pair but with time and opportunity lacking (and not such a bad summer) I haven't used them much / at all.
My Tenn waterproof shorts are still going strong. They're probably not the highest quality but given the price and the fact that they'll spend their time covered in mud and grit?

I should just say, there were some lightweight Tenn shorts on offer a while ago. They were listed as seconds and sold for a fiver a pair, they don't last well and wear quickly .. they're a different beast from the Tenn Protean shorts.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Gore Power Trail are good, also roomy without being too baggy. Have a look on Amazon as certain sizes are often far cheaper than others. I think I paid about 40 quid for mine.
YetiTony

Post by YetiTony »

I use Gore Paclites. Had them for years and still going strong. Not overly baggy but very comfortable. Not the cheapest on the market though.
I had a pair of Altura attack and they did not remain waterproof for very long.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

YetiTony wrote:I use Gore Paclites. Had them for years and still going strong. Not overly baggy but very comfortable. Not the cheapest on the market though.
I had a pair of Altura attack and they did not remain waterproof for very long.
i had some of those, while very light, packable and waterproof, they didnt seem very robust. mine wore out pretty quickly and then fell apart.

mudrides have done a whole winter of riding in the slop and filth and are still looking as good as new.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I wouldn't go for Paclite in an area that gets more mud abrasion than anything else - my Paclite jacket suffered from de-laminating fabric just from a hydration pack.

Ex-Army Camo shorts are also quite a bit lighter than Alturas...
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
My Tenn waterproof shorts are still going strong. They're probably not the highest quality but given the price and the fact that they'll spend their time covered in mud and grit?

I should just say, there were some lightweight Tenn shorts on offer a while ago. They were listed as seconds and sold for a fiver a pair, they don't last well and wear quickly .. they're a different beast from the Tenn Protean shorts.
Just ordered some of these on your recommendation, might help keep my bum dry on the bb200.
ton

Post by ton »

those tenn proteans look ace for the cash...........xxl ordered.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Also just ordered some.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I've torn the arse out of two pairs of Tenn Proteans, each within a single multi day ride, and of two different sizes. The eBay ex army ones are much better.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Proteans were updated recently. I've used mine on half a dozen occasions so far with no problems.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

ScotRoutes wrote:The Proteans were updated recently. I've used mine on half a dozen occasions so far with no problems.
Any idea if these are the recently updated ones?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311656554529
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

They are cheaper direct from the Tenn website
ton

Post by ton »

my Tenn protean shorts just landed. i can see why they are so cheap. i will be sticking with chopped down ex military goretex.

anyone intersted, there will be a new pair of Tenns on the for sale in 2 minutes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

my Tenn protean shorts just landed. i can see why they are so cheap. i will be sticking with chopped down ex military goretex.

anyone intersted, there will be a new pair of Tenns on the for sale in 2 minutes.
What's up with them Tony? Mine have been really good.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

nothing wrong with them for the money Stu. they just feel a bit less robust than the army goretex ones i have used for 10 years or so.
also i wanted them as a overshort, so i can take em off come end of ride pub time. these are more of a waterproof short.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I had an older pair of Tenn shorts. They lasted 3 rides before the crotch completely split open. I heard that this was a common theme and addressed in an update.
I've ordered a new pair to see if they last. Fingers crossed!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ton wrote:

nothing wrong with them for the money Stu. they just feel a bit less robust than the army goretex ones i have used for 10 years or so.
also i wanted them as a overshort, so i can take em off come end of ride pub time. these are more of a waterproof short.
I'd agree they are a waterproof short. I just wear them over lycra shorts/bibshorts so I can take them off in the pub etc.. I like that they're not over baggy and flappy, especially when wet.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Just got mine. Seem good for the price but time (and BB200) will tell
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

My endura ones are great, MT500 spray and waterproof versions :-bd
@philg1971 Instagram
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

First ride with the Tenns today and I'm impressed. Comfy and impressive performance for the money.