Any old gear?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Any old gear?

Post by Mariner »

What is the oldest piece of equipment or clothing you have still in continuous use?
Mine is a set of HH Lifa that must be thirty years old and are known as smelly helley for obvious reasons. Shortly after I purchased these Helly brought out the mkII version to combat the smell problem and the range has now expanded beyond recognition. Mine are incredibly thin – or am I fatter now – so I look like an extra from Avatar when I put them on. They still work though so not be binning them anytime soon. I tried the latest tech version with Merino and plastic but not the same. Holding warm sweat next to the skin doesn’t work for me.
Wonder if I can get another thirty years? :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
GregMay

Re: Any old gear?

Post by GregMay »

Erm I still use my Scout belt day to day - so that's definitly over 30 years.

But riding kit - I regularly use a Patagonia windproof I've had 18 years, and a DryFlow top that's maybe 18 as well.
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Still can't find a good enough reason to buy myself a new summer sleeping bag, my Mountain Hardwear one is "only" 16 years old...
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I've also got an old Patagonia windproof I still use for cycling and running (when I do any!) I got it for my 20th birthday, so 20 years old now. They really seem to make stuff that lasts.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

A 1993 Cadex CFM3 which I still ride...almost vintage.

Greetz

S.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a Troll windproof/showerproof smock from about 1984 (or whenever Rock and Run first opened their doors in Ambleside), used it for climbing, running and biking.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I've got a Mag mor 30l daysack I still use that I bought when I was
16, so 33 years use there, a Buffalo mtn shirt a year or two younger,
Still going but looking bedraggled ( and tight :roll: ) also a summer &
Winter pair of buffalo slpg bags that still give good service :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Mariner wrote:What is the oldest piece of equipment or clothing you have still in continuous use?
Mine is a set of HH Lifa that must be thirty years old and are known as smelly helley for obvious reasons. Shortly after I purchased these Helly brought out the mkII version to combat the smell problem and the range has now expanded beyond recognition. Mine are incredibly thin – or am I fatter now – so I look like an extra from Avatar when I put them on. They still work though so not be binning them anytime soon. I tried the latest tech version with Merino and plastic but not the same. Holding warm sweat next to the skin doesn’t work for me.
Wonder if I can get another thirty years? :lol:
I had a HH lifa same as you that I binned after 25 years and like you do not like the modern equivalent. Oldest thing I'm using now is erm, me.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I'm only 31, so can't compete with you old boys :lol: Although saying that, Ian thought I was in my 40's :lol:

Oldest piece of kit is my Arcteryx hard face fleece, still looks like new despite being ten years old. Bought with my first months wages after finishing Uni.

Actually, thinking about it, my Suunto compass is at least 15 years old and still points north :-bd
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

My track bike has some venerable parts on it: vintage Brooks Professional saddle, Cinelli quill stem and drop bars, all as old or older than me (nearly but not quite vet cat).

I also have three pairs of Bridgedale socks that must be 12 years+ and still going strong.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Second ever batch of Alpkit Pipedream 400s back when they were better goosedown and made of pertex! Yeah, that's getting on a bit now (relative to my age!). Took me a while to save for it back then... :oops:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm 27 so haven't got anything as old as most of the above.

I've got one of those cheap flatbed gas stoves that I "borrowed" off my mum (she was a traditional upholsterer and used it to melt animal glue for restoring antique furniture - absolutely stank!) to take to Leeds festival about 10 years ago. It's not high tech or remotely lightweight, but it's been on every camping trip, bike event that requires camping, countless day trips for making coffee in the car, and I did even take it on a bike tour once, long before bikepacking was invented and I'd even heard of lightweight gear.

I've also got a 1952 Middlemore leather saddle, which I love, but it's relatively new to me.
psling

Post by psling »

ooh, one for us old'uns! Oldest bit of kit in regular (almost daily) use is a canvas military shoulder bag issued about 38 years ago. My regular bivi bag is an early Phoenix Gore-Tex one and my regular tent is also a Phoenix (Phreak), both I'd guess from the 80s and both in remarkably good condition.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've had my single locking blade pocket knife for 39 years, 4 months and 22 days. Best present a 12-year-old ever had.
I'm just going outside ...
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

I just bought a purple kimm sack.

Used mind but still plenty life in it.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm only 31, so can't compete with you old boys :lol: Although saying that, Ian thought I was in my 40's :lol:
It's the beard; makes you look old(er) and wise(r) :oops: :ugeek:

Oldest piece of kit is my MSR XGK-II stove; that goes back to the very early nighties. It'll be out to use for Rovaniemi next Feb.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian wrote:
It's the beard; makes you look old(er) and wise(r) :oops: :ugeek:

Oldest piece of kit is my MSR XGK-II stove; that goes back to the very early nighties. It'll be out to use for Rovaniemi next Feb.
I've got one of those as well :-bd I got it second hand in the late 1980s so no real idea of just how old it is. Sounds like a Saturn V rocket :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Gari

Post by Gari »

I have a Patagonia synchilla snap-t pullover and a backbowl jacket I got In the late 80s or early 90s. Backbowl leaks now, though still a good wind proof, snap-t is a bit out of shape at cuffs/waistband but other than that pretty much intact!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Gari wrote: Backbowl leaks now, though still a good wind proof, snap-t is a bit out of shape at cuffs/waistband but other than that pretty much intact!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

So are we allowed count second hand/hand me down gear then? Or just stuff we purchased to use.... if so I have a very, very old camera I use (1929)

I've also a second had Patagonia Snap T from the 80's - no idea how old, but at least 28 ish years....it does not fit me unless I am prepared to eat a lot of cake.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I know, right! If ever there was a candidate for "you get what you pay for" my girlfriend at the time took the p**s for ages as the snap-t cost £55 at the time :cool:
I have an old lens dated between 1895-1900 for my half plate camera, Waterhouse stops rather than aperture ring! The camera is a Japanese wetplate camera from early 1900, inc holder.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

So are we allowed count second hand/hand me down gear then? Or just stuff we purchased to use.... if so I have a very, very old camera I use (1929)
Didn't mean to raise it in a competitive way just with the frugal note raised on another thread I wondered how long we/I hang on to things because they work.
'Triggers brush' does not count though. You know three new heads and new two handles. :wink:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I still cherish my little brass self pressurising Optimus 123 petrol stove from the 80's

Don't carry it much in the summer these days as Stu's little stoves have taken over. Being brass its a heavy thing to lug around by comparison
In the depths of winter it chugs along : cooking meals and heating bothies bothy very nicely
2924 miles per Gallon
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I've a Thermarest bought in the States/Rockies in 1989 that is still going strong - never leaked or punctured, valve still good. My eldest lad slept on it for a week this year.
Also a MSR Whisperlight bought for the same trip that is still going - has been stripped and rebuilt (stove and pump) a couple of times but seen high altitude treks and crappy fuel in various places... still reliable.
Had a Buffalo windshirt that severed me well for years (the old blue one with the attached hood)... finally trashed in the Alps after 20 years service - I grieved it's loss!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

GregMay wrote:So are we allowed count second hand/hand me down gear then? Or just stuff we purchased to use.... if so I have a very, very old camera I use (1929)
My best using this rule then I reckons is a set of mole grips that my dad gave me when I was boy, he had bought them back in 1977.
I still use these today.