what size tarp for a big un?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

what size tarp for a big un?

Post by ton »

looking for a new tarp. bicycle 3.5 or 7 for a big bloke?
Chew

Re: what size tarp for a big un?

Post by Chew »

I can just about squeeze under the 3.5 (although its marginal). No way you'd manage.

7 will give you loads of space and plenty of coverage
ton

Post by ton »

7 it is then.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We've both the 3.5 & 7 and the volume available underneath both can vary a lot depending on a number of factors: length of pole(s) used; whether the sides of the tarp are to the floor or raised; thickness of sleeping mat and season rating of sleeping bag, roughness of ground, all that's before you get to individual (ahem) girth.

We started with the 3.5, poles of 100 & 65cm. With summer kit (thin sleeping pads and summer bags) and with the sides about 15cm off the ground it was usable if a little snug - you certainly won't be holding a barn dance under it.

Once we got to winter then even for just myself it was little more than a ridged bivy bag in size. This was using an Exped Synmat sleeping mat, which is 7cm thick itself, plus a combination of bag and quilt for insulation and also having the edges of the tarp at or very close to ground level. There's no way it's usable for two in that scenario.

On the JennRide earlier this year my wife had the Rig3.5 so I used a Tyvek tarp the same size as the Rig3.5 with my bike wheels as support, effectively making a one-man tunnel "tent" - only as much headroom as the size of your wheels but you can roll in and out of the side :grin:

A Rig7 was ordered and we had a lot more room, unsurprisingly given that it's twice as big. We still used the same sized poles which are fine on smooth ground but at Bearstock the field was a bit rougher and it was long cut grass so we didn't have as much room. I've since added an extra section to both poles so they are now 120 & 100cm (roughly) and a test pitching provides much more head room even with the tarp edges pegged to ground level.

If you want to sit up under the tarp then definitely go for the Rig7 but make sure you've reasonable length poles.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ton, I think you're a big guy, the 3.5 will fit but it'll be tough

I'm 6'3 and all my kit is long - bivy, mat, quilt/sleeping bag

I have a SilTarp 1 which is slightly smaller than a 3.5 but is very tight if the weather isn't nice, there isn't much room at the head or foot end, less so if you want to try and drop it a bit

The bicycle 7 is a much better size, i'd actually be happy if it was slightly longer still! Haven't got wet under it but it's not palatial length wise, loads of room width wise

I also have a bicycle 21 which is HUGE, but way too big for one. I've had 4 under mine (in nice weather)

You could use your bike instead of poles, it's a big'un and one end of the seat and one off a wheel will be fine to be honest
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Rig7 + a couple of poles will produce a very roomy shelter, with room to sleep, cook and store gear.

May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

What about a Silwing?

Love mine
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Stu how have you got the rear pole positioned inboard or have you got an add on for the back triangle?
My R7 only has post holes along the edge that one looks like it has holes inboard.
(ps I pmd you about extra pole section and no reply.)
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu how have you got the rear pole positioned inboard or have you got an add on for the back triangle?
My R7 only has post holes along the edge tha
Rear / inner pole is just wedged in there. As long as it's at a slight angle with the top facing the rear, there's enough tension to hold it in place ... worth placing a glove, buff or similar over the end so as not to damage the material.

No pm arrived - try email perhaps?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Thanks for clarifying that.
I can achieve similar with external pole and guy - which is why I need extra section.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I use a Rig7 but regularly wish it was just a bit bigger for crawling around underneath and isn't quite long enough for good coverage over a hammock.

The DD Hammocks Superlight tarp? Its 2.9x3m so bigger than the Rig7. It's also a smidgen lighter and a tad cheaper.

It doesn't have the side lift points, which can be really useful, and it's a PU coated nylon as opposed to the sil nylon of the Alpkit stuff. PU nylon isn't as waterproof, though still has a 3000mm HH, and doesn;t dry as fast. But Im tempted by that extra length and the fact its nearly square.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/DD_Su ... rom_cat=33
I'm just going outside ...
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I'm 6 foot 4 and never felt there was enough coverage\room with a 3.5.

Although I replaced it with a silwing.
JamesT

Post by JamesT »

You might also want to have a look at this
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps ... WE103.html
Tons of space to cook under etc , works really well with a hammock - and a decent weight too , recommended !