Quilts (again sorry)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

Quilts (again sorry)

Post by barney »

Apologies for the numpty questions, I know quilts have been covered in the past but a bit of additional help please…

I’m happy with my winter setup but for summer/autumn I’m after something that can pack down a bit smaller also I wriggle a bit in my sleep (front, back & side etc.) and sometimes feel a bit restricted in a mummy bag full zipped up.

Is a quilt for me?

I’ve read a few un-flattering reviews on here about the Alpkit quilt/blanket but the Cumulus 250 seems to tick a few boxes. A quick look on the net and it would appear to be purchased from Poland with no UK supplier or have I got that wrong?

Any advice/opinions please.

cheers
Wait for me...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Quilts (again sorry)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I’ve read a few un-flattering reviews on here about the Alpkit quilt/blanket but the Cumulus 250 seems to tick a few boxes. A quick look on the net and it would appear to be purchased from Poland with no UK supplier or have I got that wrong?
For a long time Cumulus wouldn't sell directly to the UK as they had a distributor. However, the distributor didn't carry the lightweight bags or quilts, so many people bought from the EU, these people are very good; https://www.outdoorline.sk/en/39-quilts

As to whether it's for you Mark, that's hard to say but in general, most people who try a quilt (and if I'm honest, spend a little time discovering how to get the best from it) end up preferring them to full bags especially in the warmer months.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've ordered cumulus stuff from cumulus.pl. Delivered very quickly given it came from Poland.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Barney, I think it was you who had a quick look at my quilt when we got back to Llangurig yesterday. That was the Cumulus 150, more than good enough for summer, starts to be a little on the chilly side in the cooler months so then I use it over a similarly rated down bag and that combo is good down to -5/6C. The temperature ratings on the Cumulus site seem about right.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

150 for the summer months
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I have a mountain equipment helium trekker
was purchased to add more warmth to my winter sleeping setup
Helium trekker
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

My Cumulus 250 ordered from the link above arrived today. Delivery in under a week. Very impressed by small packed size and weight.

Imageimage1 by Andy Wrigley, on Flickr
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've got a cumulus 150 and it's fine for summer. Wish it was a little wider though but I'm L/XL so maybe it's not best suited to my girth.
I've got an enlightened equipment quilt (in wide) for winter that's a better fit.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

thanks for the link and the photo, just ordered a 250 after two nights being constricted by a neo air in an alpkit bivvvy bag, hoping this might help ease my ability to toss and turn all night, and maybe even sleep a bit :-)
atk

Post by atk »

Quilt thread bump... are there any decent primaloft (or similar synthetic) options?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Quilt thread bump... are there any decent primaloft (or similar synthetic) options?
I hear good things Andy but possibly not the best time to buy given the exchange rate.

http://www.astucas.com/en/products/

The other option would be something like the Proton from Thermarest. http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/sleeping-si ... oCOa7w_wcB
atk

Post by atk »

Thanks Stu, will take a look at those :)
atk

Post by atk »

Hmm the Proton sounds pretty crinkly... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVKseL0ZcQ0
atk

Post by atk »

Also (mostly for my own reference) from a bit of reading it seems Primaloft isn't good for quilts/blankets, Climashield seems to be preferred and easier to work with
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Climashield seems to be preferred and easier to work with
That's true, Climashield doesn't need quilting as it'll retain its structure without.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

There is also a couple of American makers who use hydrophobic down. I've got a borah down vest with that in and have been impressed by how moisture resistant it is.

I may also panic bought an enlightened quilt (late at night while watching the brexit results and fearing that the pound will never recover!) with some nice light down in it that is treated.

If it's as good as I hope then I'll have some other quilts and bags for sale soon...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Check out the UK Hammocks quilts, they are brilliant.