Quilt purchasing decisions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

scott of the woods

Quilt purchasing decisions

Post by scott of the woods »

HI all, Looking to use your expertise on purchasing quilts, as my Birthday is coming up I am looking to treat myself with a lighter sleep system to carry on the bike. I currently use a relatively old Pipe Dream 600/900 weighing in around 1kg, so easily lose 500g without too much outlay, its a bit overkill for most of the weather I'm out in. What I have decided on is a Cumulus quilt as they are a good weight/pack size and more importantly price, but can't decide between the 150 and 250, is the 150 solely a summer quilt? or do I just go for the 250 and increase my insulation by a whole 100g!! I suppose I am looking for a 2/3 season quilt to be useful in temps down to lowish single figures and I'm a reasonably warm sleeper.
Any advice?
TIA :-bd
whitestone

Re: Quilt purchasing decisions

Post by whitestone »

I've the 150, it's fine for summer but once down to around 5C +/- I tend to use it as a wrapper around a similarly rated sleeping bag. This system is then good to around -5C.

If I were looking for a 2/3 season quilt then I'd be looking at the 250.

The above assumes you are using a decent sleeping mat.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
scott of the woods

whitestone wrote:I've the 150, it's fine for summer but once down to around 5C +/- I tend to use it as a wrapper around a similarly rated sleeping bag. This system is then good to around -5C.

If I were looking for a 2/3 season quilt then I'd be looking at the 250.

The above assumes you are using a decent sleeping mat.
Thanks Whitestone. :-bd
Yeah that was what I was thinking, i've got a super compact lightweight bag that covers me for cool summer nights, so i think I am looking for something to fill the gap between the two.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

this fella (Scotty) will make you a cracker to your Exact specifications, he made me a brilliant Bivi bag that im totally made up with! i can vouch for his work :cool:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/scottytemplar
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll second what Bob says ... get the 250. The 150 is a lovely thing and surprisingly warm but we only get about 2 months from every 12 where you can really use it :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I've just pre-ordered the Alpkit quilt today. Not clear on temp spec but I'm hoping will go to around +5c with silk liner and me wearing merino leggings and l/s top inside. Wishful thinking? I guess I'll soon find out.
scott of the woods

Lawmanmx wrote:this fella (Scotty) will make you a cracker to your Exact specifications, he made me a brilliant Bivi bag that im totally made up with! i can vouch for his work :cool:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/scottytemplar
Cheers I'll have a chat with him see what he can do
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just pre-ordered the Alpkit quilt today. Not clear on temp spec but I'm hoping will go to around +5c with silk liner and me wearing merino leggings and l/s top inside. Wishful thinking? I guess I'll soon find out.
You should be (just) alright Philip ... just don't do what I did the other week and use it upside down, right snug it was, I thought I'd put 2 stone on :grin:
May the bridges you burn light your way
scott of the woods

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'll second what Bob says ... get the 250. The 150 is a lovely thing and surprisingly warm but we only get about 2 months from every 12 where you can really use it :wink:
Yeah cheer Stu I knew the 150 would be too thin for what I wanted but it did weigh a 100g less than the 250, which is neither here nor there as I would be better off losing a few 100g myself rather than blaming my kit! :-O :-O