Race / Summer Sleeping Bag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Race / Summer Sleeping Bag

Post by Richard G »

I'm looking for something ultralight for racing purposes (essentially for when I have to have one, but don't actually plan on stopping) or for use in the summer.

So far I've found these which seem like they might be suitable:

265g - PHD Elite Racer - http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/elite-racer- ... eeping-bag

340g - Haglofs LIM Synthetic +10 - http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... -bag-p4077

450g - Mountain Raid 1.6 - http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/categ ... XC112.html

525g - PipeDream 200 - https://www.alpkit.com/products/pipedream-200 (Doesn't seem to actually be on sale)

Anything worth looking at that I've missed. Anything somewhat cheaper? :D
Justchris

Re: Race / Summer Sleeping Bag

Post by Justchris »

Cheap. Ebay. Lafuma lightway 45. 600g bag. About 80 quid. Generous fit.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got a Criterion Ultralight 200 which I've been pleased with.

http://www.downsleepingbag.co.uk/sleepi ... tml#SID=14

It's a touch heavier than your choices at 620g as listed but also a bit cheaper. There is also a Quantum 200 which is warmer and lighter at 495g but the pay off is the extra cost.

http://www.downsleepingbag.co.uk/sleepi ... 0bhH-SrH-s

I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra to save 135g to hang it on the bars of a 27lb bike but if racing then every gram counts.

Sean
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

How warm do you sleep is the first question I'd ask.

Cold sleeper - so I carry a warmer bag and vent if I get to warm, a whopping 620g. 200g penalty I'm able to cut from other places.

Light bags = cold sleeps in my experience.
Cold sleep = crap Greg.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I struggle to sleep anyway, so not sleeping in a thin summer bag is much the same as not sleeping in a cosy winter bag.

But again, this is for summer use or for emergencies only. Warmth isn't going to be too much of an issue.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Richard G wrote:I struggle to sleep anyway, so not sleeping in a thin summer bag is much the same as not sleeping in a cosy winter bag.

But again, this is for summer use or for emergencies only. Warmth isn't going to be too much of an issue.
Then why bring a bag?

Honest point.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GregMay wrote:
Richard G wrote:I struggle to sleep anyway, so not sleeping in a thin summer bag is much the same as not sleeping in a cosy winter bag.

Then why bring a bag?

Honest point.

Some races (the High Peak Marathon is one) stipulate a sleeping bag and two man tent(!) between the four man team for emergency use. Given the size of some rucksacks being carried when I did it I suspect that something like one of the race elite bags is the sleeping bag. Then again fell runners have a habit of pushing the regulations just a little too far at times :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

This or the 250 (only available via a couple of Internet shops in mainland Europe

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... d=53&vid=7

Plus herbal sleeping tablets to knock you out
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote: Some races (the High Peak Marathon is one) stipulate a sleeping bag and two man tent(!) between the four man team for emergency use. Given the size of some rucksacks being carried when I did it I suspect that something like one of the race elite bags is the sleeping bag. Then again fell runners have a habit of pushing the regulations just a little too far at times :wink:
Mandatory sleep bag and tent - not come across that yet. Hopefully not going to be part of general FRA kit ;)

But yes, I've definitely been on the "ahh I have too little" camp on some big runs before. Character building.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

GregMay wrote:How warm do you sleep is the first question I'd ask.

Cold sleeper - so I carry a warmer bag and vent if I get to warm, a whopping 620g. 200g penalty I'm able to cut from other places.

Light bags = cold sleeps in my experience.
Cold sleep = crap Greg.
I'm with Greg on this one. I contemplated (and bought) a quilt which dropped 200g off my setup, but the sheer warmth of my Cumulus Quantum 350 meant that I had a much more flexible setup for a minimal weight penalty. As it stands, I now use it unzipped but with my feet in the foot box, and it's perfect.

Depending on whether I can find a use for it over summer, I may sell the quilt.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GregMay wrote:Mandatory sleep bag and tent - not come across that yet. Hopefully not going to be part of general FRA kit ;)
Given my likely fell running pace these days they would not only be mandatory but advisable :oops:

Other than the HPM and mountain marathons, I'm not aware of any FRA race that mandates such a large amount of kit. Not sure what the Fellsman asks for but it might not be an FRA sanctioned race.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

rab module bag ? 470grams

alistairmc had one to sell a few weeks back - i settled on a pipedream 250 long for my bag as im in north of scotland its rarely warm enough for a comfy nights sleep in an ultralight bag and like greg ill give a 150 grams or so for a warm comfy night.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Out of interest, how do quilts generally get used by bivi bags, or don't they?
GregMay wrote:Then why bring a bag?

Honest point.
As I said, emergency use only, so if I absolutely have to stop because I'm feeling like crap.

Plus, of course those events that stipulate you must carry at least something.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Do you mean "with bivy bags"?

Bivy bags aren't the issue with quilts, it's the sleeping mat. The ultra lightweight ones like the Klymit X-Frame have pockets (holes to you and me) that are meant to be filled with the down from the bottom of your sleeping bag. Fine with a sleeping bag, not so with a quilt.

I've a Cumulus 150 quilt that I use as an overbag for the PHD during the cooler months so if you can sort out the sleeping mat and find a complete one that's very light then the cumulus could be worth a look.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, with, sorry.

...and yeah, the mat is probably the one place I wouldn't compromise. I'm happy to carry a bit more weight there.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My summer weight sleeping bag isn't really that light, it's still 600g

It's a montbell super spiral sleeping bag, but it's the comfiest sleeping bag you'll ever use. You can sit cross legged it in as it stretches, but it normally forms around you when you're not stretching it. Great piece of kit, and packs down tiny
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Stretchy? Interesting.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:Do you mean "with bivy bags"?

Bivy bags aren't the issue with quilts, it's the sleeping mat. The ultra lightweight ones like the Klymit X-Frame have pockets (holes to you and me) that are meant to be filled with the down from the bottom of your sleeping bag. Fine with a sleeping bag, not so with a quilt.
[...]
I use my quilts with the tiny Klymit every now and the and all's good. Down = loft = air = insulation.
As long as the pocket are filled with air you'll be alright :wink:
Sometimes I use space blanket underneath.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Richard, if you really want a 'just in case' bag for a few hours kip or something that will work okay in summer, have a look at the Cumulus Magic 125.
May the bridges you burn light your way
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Here's another curve ball - I've not used mine yet but want to try it to see if it kills me:

The Sol Escape Bivvy. It's basically a silver-backed Tyvek sleeping bag to be used in place of a light bivi and sleeping bag setup. It's in my emergency kit for long day rides but I do want to use it deliberately sometime.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Richard, if you really want a 'just in case' bag for a few hours kip or something that will work okay in summer, have a look at the Cumulus Magic 125.
This one is looking like a particularly good deal: http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... d=62&vid=6
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do Cumulus ship directly to the UK now? They never did / would ... and you're right, looks like a bargain.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Comfort of +13c though. Wouldnt you just be as well as taking a silk liner?
Cheaper, more robust and smaller packsize
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Comfort of +13c though. Wouldnt you just be as well as taking a silk liner?
Cheaper, more robust and smaller packsize
If something containing 125g of high quality down has a comfort rating of +13, I daren't imagine what the comfort rating of a silk liner would be?
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

I've got one of the Cumulus Magic 125's,
I use as a liner to boost my quilt in winter. Not used it standalone yet, but would reckon you could take it down to 9/ 10deg. and be OK. I do sleep warm, admittedly. It is normal Cumulus quality, and an absolute steal at that price.