Huel?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

Huel?

Post by AlasdairMc »

Has anyone ever used Huel or another meal replacement shake when riding? I was considering packing some for the HTR as a way to get calories in quickly and to reduce my reliance on just snacking. I like the idea but unsure how it'll work in practice.

420 kcal per 100g, so while not the most efficient for weight it's meant to be nutritionally balanced, and I could see it working as a last meal when you're crashing out for the night.

Any experiences good or bad?
richvs

Re: Huel?

Post by richvs »

I've not packed a meal replacement shake for cycling before. I have tried a Soylent clone for long days of hard physical stuff where normal meals would have been awkward and I was curious about finding and tweaking the recipe.
I'm not sure about Huel but I was better off drinking mine gradually over quite a long period. It couldcause unexpected gastronomical theatrics (or intermissions) if even slightly dehydrated. I had to drink water to excess to avoid discomfort which itself became uncomfortable and inconvenient!

Magic food sounds like a panacea but for me it was more trouble than it was worth. If I did the experiment again I'd buy a food dehydrator and make boiling-water baggies using proper ingredients, not sciencey ones.
rowlandpg

Post by rowlandpg »

On my way home I planned to make a topic asking this exact question, I load the page and there it is at the top of the forum. Strange. Really interested to hear more opinions on this!
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Al. Have a look at http://www.spiz.net possibly more endurence sport specific. However I came across it treating sick kids. Very well tolerated, even in the kids groups I consult with. Very few gi side effects.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

The only roughly similar 'food' I have used on some occasions is peronin and it not just tasted okay (only had the chocolate flavoured one, nothing delicious here, but okay) but helped me get back some energy quickly without needing to step back a bit and digest. I see it more as supplement and have never use more than two a day.

https://www.trekneat.com/en/ch/244-8016 ... onin-cacao

I've still got some at home and thinking about bringing 2 or 3 pouches along too. But then, who doesn't like ...bonking? :wink:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

richvs wrote:unexpected gastronomical theatrics (or intermissions)
There's something quite poetic about that phrase. :lol:

My thinking is that I have previously suffered by simply not eating enough before bed, and thus waking up depleted. I figure that one or two of these shakes will go some way towards restoration and could be good emergency food when I find everywhere is closed (see Lochinver, 8pm, last year).

Chris - I'll look up Spiz. Thanks for the link.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Spiz and Huel ... not appealing names are they?

Didn't someone attempt to race the Trans Am consuming nothing but Spiz? ... why does that sound so, so, very wrong.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've been using Peronin (https://www.trekneat.com/en/de/products ... gories=737) for a while now, maybe a year in total (??) - with some good outcomes. No stomach issues, no taste rejections, and overall pretty happy with how it makes me feel full and removes the need to feel like I want a meal. Only tried the vanilla and chocolate - not managed to get the orange one yet :)

I'll be packing some for the Tour Divide. Quite a bit actually.

Note: for the HTR back in 2013 I took a leaf from Aidans book and carried recovery drinks with me - James and the others I was with thought I was mad to take the extra weight. but, each and every day I had two, the weight depleted, and I kept feeling stronger and stronger. Pretty much think I've been doing it since then! I also tend to use them during 24hour races when I want something...else.... to drink.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

GregMay wrote:I've been using Peronin (https://www.trekneat.com/en/de/products ... gories=737) for a while now, maybe a year in total (??) - with some good outcomes. No stomach issues, no taste rejections, and overall pretty happy with how it makes me feel full and removes the need to feel like I want a meal. Only tried the vanilla and chocolate - not managed to get the orange one yet :)

I'll be packing some for the Tour Divide. Quite a bit actually.

Peroni you say ;) :mrgreen: :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

GregMay wrote:Note: for the HTR back in 2013 I took a leaf from Aidans book and carried recovery drinks with me - James and the others I was with thought I was mad to take the extra weight. but, each and every day I had two, the weight depleted, and I kept feeling stronger and stronger. Pretty much think I've been doing it since then! I also tend to use them during 24hour races when I want something...else.... to drink.
How and when do you use recovery shakes Greg? Would you use them for a normal ride, or only longer distances where the impact on your body is higher?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Didn't someone attempt to race the Trans Am consuming nothing but Spiz?
Yup....Jason Lane (2nd place) did the 2014 race on Spiz. There's a scene in Inspired to Ride where he's picking some up at a PO drop and it looks heavy.

Greetz

S.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

benp1 wrote: How and when do you use recovery shakes Greg? Would you use them for a normal ride, or only longer distances where the impact on your body is higher?
How - I tend to drink them, enemas are messy.

When - usually about half way through the day, and before I go to bed if I've got enough water, or at the first waterstop.

Ride duration - only tend to use them on longer rides. FWIW, I don't tend to eat on rides <3hours these days.

The main reason is what you're alluding to with impact - quite literally the impacts that happen to my musculature over hours of riding. Lots and lots of microtears and vibrations doing their worst to your muscles - usually when they are not going to get a whole load of nutrients to recover from.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

What about trying complan. 3 to 4 quid from a supermarket.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

GregMay wrote:
benp1 wrote: How and when do you use recovery shakes Greg? Would you use them for a normal ride, or only longer distances where the impact on your body is higher?
How - I tend to drink them, enemas are messy.

When - usually about half way through the day, and before I go to bed if I've got enough water, or at the first waterstop.

Ride duration - only tend to use them on longer rides. FWIW, I don't tend to eat on rides <3hours these days.

The main reason is what you're alluding to with impact - quite literally the impacts that happen to my musculature over hours of riding. Lots and lots of microtears and vibrations doing their worst to your muscles - usually when they are not going to get a whole load of nutrients to recover from.
Thanks Greg. I've thought about using them but wasn't sure what value they would to a normal good diet. Particularly thinking about gym, not specific training but more like a high intensity circuit or similar