Minimalism beyond bikepacking?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

Minimalism beyond bikepacking?

Post by HaYWiRe »

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, well more of a mindless rant but anyway..

Does anyone else take this ultralight, minimal, "bear bones" mindset beyond bikepacking?

Before I ever learnt to ride a bike I got into ultralight backpacking, my hiking stamina was good and had my base weight to a comfortable 4.2kg out of my 30l osprey with room to spare. Then I learnt how much quicker cycling was and bikepacking followed.

But this last year I've found this minimalist approach infect into other parts of life and hobbies. My every day carry is basic but well thought out, my wallets super thin, and most of my clothes are technical and multiperpose. I regularly travel for work, and to stay with my partner a few days, and have narrowed down my "weekend bag" to a 7 litre hydropack for clothes,toiletries and meds....whereas my other half packs 4x that in just tshirts and makeup :lol:

It goes on, since discovering jeans I can run/bike/swim in, wash and dry in ten mins and still look smart enough to wear with a blazer my whole wardrobe has changed and significantly shrunk!
Now I already plan a holiday abroad with nothing more than hand luggage, yet I see my parents cramming full a 140l suitcase and complaining about the 25kg limit :lol:

Is it just me? Have I taken it too far or too literally?
Or have I discovered that there is a better way to travel regardless of means, and that carrying less really does allow you to do more?

Certainly alot less stress now either way :grin:
Gari

Re: Minimalism beyond bikepacking?

Post by Gari »

Same approach to ski touring/backcountry skiing, and hiking in the surrounding hills when I forget to take the bike out with me!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

HaYWiRe wrote: Does anyone else take this ultralight, minimal, "bear bones" mindset beyond bikepacking?
There's an assumption right there....... :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I used to do alpine climbing which has a similar mindset - after all you have to carry what you take and a 7/8Kg load is a lot better than a 20Kg one - so it wasn't too much of a jump for me. I had a month long holiday in the States and with climbing and camping kit my luggage was still under 25Kg. We've had a few autumn trips to Majorca road biking and with hiring the bike out there our luggage comes to 12Kg *between us*.

I've often wondered just how big a supermarket shop would be if people had to walk there and carry everything back home :lol: Which of course is why supermarkets tend not to have bike racks and be situated out of town thus encouraging car use.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

You've clearly never seen 4 massive panniers filled with frozen food and wine wobble down a main road in a panic before :lol:

But I see your point. Given I dont drive I pretty much rely on the smaller shops, means alot of walking but I don't mind hoofing it if it means food!
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

strangly no i seem to be te oposite , went on a winter climbing / back country skiing trip to scotland this weekend with a friend and we seemed to take evryy peice of out door equipment and clothing we had with us never seen so much stuff in a 90s fiesta haha. however when it came to the actual back countr skiing part managed to get my skins, crampons, shovel, probe , map and gude book , plus water, food and an extra down jacket and water proof in to my little simmond clif 20 rucksack and work out a way of attaching skiis to it for hiking as dont like skiing with to much . but i do like to pack for other eventuality's and options when filling the car for trips :P . and if i take my big rucksack winter climbing i allways manage to fill it with stuff so was a good exersize just trying to make everything fit in my smaller bag fo ski touring with me seems to be if i have a big bag i will fill it :P
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My every day carry
Fail to see how ^ can in anyway be considered minimalist ... surely, the minimalist won't carry anything?
May the bridges you burn light your way
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
My every day carry
Fail to see how ^ can in anyway be considered minimalist ... surely, the minimalist won't carry anything?
Because being without half of It could lead to a diabetic coma, or the mother of all bonks. Though that's just specific medical equipment and doesn't apply to most.

The other half is the smallest, lightest and yet most functional for their purpose. After all anyone can just carry nothing and be unprepared, but balancing preparedness with minimalism is where the sweet spot is.
A 120lumen AAA torch, tiny knife, cash/card and single house key is still less Than some peoples wallets or pocket lint :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Because being without half of It could lead to a diabetic coma, or the mother of all bonks. Though that's just specific medical equipment and doesn't apply to most.
Sorry, I understand about medication and should have distinguished between that and the torch, knife, tool card, paracord bracelet, lock pick set, mini grappling hook, laser pointer and space pen many advocates of EDC seem to cram their pockets or purpose build EDC pouch with :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I tend to flit between really. If I use the car or a day walk then I'll over pack but if it's a specific trip I can cut a lot of stuff.
I did a week hiking in Mallorca with just a 30L pack and that was with a bivvy bag, poncho, mat and stove.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sorry, I understand about medication and should have distinguished between that and the torch, knife, tool card, paracord bracelet, lock pick set, mini grappling hook, laser pointer and space pen many advocates of EDC seem to cram their pockets or purpose build EDC pouch with :wink:
No need to apologise :wink:
Yeah I'm not one of THOSE, my tools get used alot for mundane stuff everyday, no uber-grylles survival kits and ninja stars here :roll:

I think learning you can get buy with less helps, and technical fabrics and outdoor clothes can handle alot too. Haven't worn cotton in months since I started buying merino, and polyester packs down to nothing and doesn't crease. Going light doesn't have to mean being scruffy or smelly, though that can help ward off pickpockets :lol:
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

I took up fell running a few years ago with my wife and we've taken to doing that instead of walking/hiking. Out are the heavy walking boots and heft backpacks full of extra supplies and spare clothing options and it's light trail running shoes, thin fell running wear, camelbak,bit of food and possibly a couple of technical layers. It all packs down to a nice light kit and makes for swifter travel.

The trade off here is that they threshold for which you have to bail out of hitting a summit or having to turn back changes and you have to be quite honest your abilities and how the environment is affecting you. You can't just blunder on stubbornly in all conditions. However, it does mean that we can knock off a Munro in the morning and fit in a distillery tour or a castle in the afternoon when the weather has turned.

Bonus aside, back last year when we got a big dose of snow, all the roads were snarled up and I wasn't in the mood for slushing my bike up, I strapped on the trail shoes, bounced my way to work, hot shower, dry clothes and annoyingly smug while everyone else whinged about how hard it was to get in.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Kind of, but not quite.

Everyday life, wallet and phone is all.

Motorcycle touring, I've ditched the panniers and racks, bulky crash bars removed etc.

I now use a seatpack (motorbike version) to carry everything. I do however pack a few extra comforts, like an inflatable pillow, pair of off the bike trousers and Tee shirt and a petrol stove.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Funnily enough, I too have carried my bikepacking mentality over to motorcyle touring. Its dead funny to turn up at a campsite and unload tent and all the trimings from a single canoe bag and a tank bag watched by all the dudes with side boxes, top box, extra large dry bag on pillion seat and tank bag.

Just need to apply this minimalism to all the junk I have stashed in the house...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Does only using 9 sheets when bottom wiping wherever I am count as minimalism or OCD?
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I see a major divide with motorcycle campers, similar to cycling I guess. While weight isn't as tiring with an engine, pack size is a premium. Either way taking less means less time faffing, pitching, unpacking, ect more time enjoying :-bd

Same goes for car camping, if the room is there people seem to fill it. While taking a few luxuries compared to biking is nice some people go waaay overboard in my opinion, and complain they cant shut the boot after :lol:
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

Hmm. Outdoors definitely (I'd tend towards "lightweight" rather than "ultralight", but not for want of trying!)

At home, I have far too much crap lying around, including at least three books on minimalism... :oops:

But when out and about, I think people don't realise gow there's a real luxury in what you're *not* carrying.

Randomly I blogged about exactly this (but when camping with kids) just the other day:
http://dadventurebasecamp.com/blog/2016 ... littluns-1

Admins - feel free to remove if not appropriate
Drliamski

Post by Drliamski »

What jeans are these that you speak of?
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

+1 re the jeans!
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

HaYWiRe wrote:It goes on, since discovering jeans I can run/bike/swim in, wash and dry in ten mins and still look smart enough to wear with a blazer my whole wardrobe has changed and significantly shrunk!
Specifically what jeans are you referring to here?
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Okay so not technically jeans (as in the 5 pocket design) but close

Craghoppers kiwi pro stretch: I've literally lived in these for 2 years now, slim fit and great movement without silly articulation. These have been hiking, running, boldering, impromptu river swimming and waterfall diving, 2 weddings, business shows and general daily abuse. Very quick dry and never need ironing. Bought a second pair a year ago and both holding up still. Only downside is the exposed zippers from a fashion point of view.

Bluffworks chinos: A bit on the smarter side, dry insanely quick and never crease, wash easy and very comfortable. Haven't tested them hiking yet but hold up very well for more formal business occasions.

I still have my cotton demin Wranglers for work, takes ages to dry but are indestructible for rough day to day diy and such

All I'm looking for now is a button up shirt to match the performance of my bottoms, without looking like I'm off on a safari in the 1920s...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Try Rohan for shirts

Those craghoppers pro stretch trousers are rather short in their long leg version unfortunately, seem like good value otherwise. Though for me they still look quite outdoorsy
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

HaYWiRe wrote:Okay so not technically jeans (as in the 5 pocket design) but close

Craghoppers kiwi pro stretch:..
Trousers then?

Sorry, I still think jeans = denim :oops:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Does only using 9 sheets when bottom wiping wherever I am count as minimalism or OCD?

Sounds like luxury and over indulgence to me.
Think how much weight you could save not carrying those nine sheets and just trim your fingernails instead. :wink:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Rocks, twigs, grass or snow :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry