Go Lite Shangri la pole replacement

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

journeyman

Go Lite Shangri la pole replacement

Post by journeyman »

Hi has anybody replaced the heavy wide dia. Easton pole on a go lite Shangri-La/ hex with a carbon pole or similar? I think the pole has to be 5'3". I am trying to strip down this tent to its possible lightest weight for use in open country. Any link or advice appreciated...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Go Lite Shangri la pole replacement

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

160cm is quite a length and a lot to ask of a lightweight pole. However, with an increase in diameter, there's no real reason why a carbon pole couldn't be used. It would certainly offer a decent saving in both weight and pack size but would obviously come at a price.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I haven't looked for it, but I wonder if Mountain Laurel Designs make one to go with their Supermid

I have a Supermid, actually an earlier version, which I pitch with two carbon walking poles attached to each other. It's surprisingly tall, I would imagine similar to a Hex/Shangri La 3
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I haven't looked for it, but I wonder if Mountain Laurel Designs make one to go with their Supermid
Nope ... but I believe there's a man in Wales who could make one. :wink:
I have a Supermid, actually an earlier version, which I pitch with two carbon walking poles attached to each other. It's surprisingly tall, I would imagine similar to a Hex/Shangri La 3
The SL probably weighs quite a bit more than a Supermid, so more stress on the pole.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
The SL probably weighs quite a bit more than a Supermid, so more stress on the pole.
I'm positive you could! I was all set on commissioning one so I could take mine as a tent on my motorbike, but the trip isn't likely to happen for the foreseeable so no need for it now!

Do you make some sort of link or similar to be able to join poles together? I wonder if it might be too flexy/high risk though. I'm thinking of joining up the 110 and 100cm poles together, or maybe add a little jobbie to the top to make them up to 170cm (for example)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you make some sort of link or similar to be able to join poles together? I wonder if it might be too flexy/high risk though. I'm thinking of joining up the 110 and 100cm poles together, or maybe add a little jobbie to the top to make them up to 170cm (for example)
No, I don't Ben. Once pole length starts to go beyond 120cm or they're for a high stress shelter like a TrailStar, I alter some of the dimensions to up the load capacity ... you're right, lashing two shorter poles together isn't ideal :wink:
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
The SL probably weighs quite a bit more than a Supermid, so more stress on the pole.[/quote

Thats good to know. Theres life in the flysheet and im getting a one man inner with some LW pegs. So I should get a few years of LW careful use of it before investing in something new. Ill message you.
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Shangra la and Supermid are a similar height 170-175cm so long pole.

I've been doing a bit of digging and Black Diamond used to sell a carbon pole for their pryamid tent that was 18mm outer diameter carbon, whether that was overkill or not I don't know.