Cheapo eBay special opinions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

brotherhuw

Cheapo eBay special opinions

Post by brotherhuw »

So, and I know what is likely to be said but here goes...
This: 271879402930 (eBay item number, couldn't work another way to get in on here) is a cheap frame bag.
I'm new to this game, can't afford a proper frame bag, and lack the time to make one (4 month old baby eats all time, so any free I get I want to spend out on the hills...)
Realistically, with time pressures and family I'm not going to be out more than a couple times a year for the foreseeable (I already have permission for the wrt) so don't want to spend out loads of my limited funds.
The strapping will defo need reinforcing, more and better me thinks but as a first try of a frame bag, and an affordable way in what do you all think? Any one tried one? For less than a quarter of the "nice kit" price it seems like it could be worth a punt...
I am massively indecisive when it comes to purchases though, so if this post seems like I am asking permission I'm not. Just someone to scape goat if it goes wrong! Haha
Cheers all
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Cheapo eBay special opinions

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think you'd go wrong for the money ... I'll happily handle the flak if I'm wrong :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Looks OK for the money but my experience of cheap sewn items like panniers or backpacks is that the stitching will go on it somewhere sooner rather than later. Just don't pack it too full.
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

I have one of those.

It's fine for what it is. It's not cavernous and wont take bulky items but useful none the less. I use mine to hold waterproofs, gloves, etc. basically anything that I need easy access to on the move.

The straps seem fine so far.

As Stu says you won't go far wrong for the money.

You could take a look at eng.uraltour.com as mentioned here http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =13&t=6641 Know nothing about them myself.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've got one in each size and use the large one daily. Holding up just fine so far.

£12.49 delivered from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibera-Bicycle-T ... +frame+bag
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Nevis wrote:I have one of those.

It's fine for what it is. It's not cavernous and wont take bulky items but useful none the less. I use mine to hold waterproofs, gloves, etc. basically anything that I need easy access to on the move.

The straps seem fine so far.

As Stu says you won't go far wrong for the money.

You could take a look at eng.uraltour.com as mentioned here http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =13&t=6641 Know nothing about them myself.
Uraltour stuff is heavy. Compared to revelate or wildcat. But very very robust.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a Deuter front triangle bag - it's one of the most affordable framebags around, is very well made and allows you to use both your bottle cages fine. I'd recommend something like that instead, seeing as they're priced similarly

I'd still be using it if I hadn't found a Revelate Tangle, which is a proper half frame bag.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've had the large Ibera bag for a while now and it's been fine (in fact I use it in preference to my Alpkit Possum). I sewed an extra velcro loop on the bottom to stabilise it a bit more but other than that it's been fit and forget. I got mine from Amazon as well, if the stitching goes I'll probably buy another as they're so cheap.
landel

Post by landel »

I have one of those Ibera bags too and it's a good starter bag for the money. It probably won't stand up to much abuse but it'll do the job until you have the funds to upgrade.
brotherhuw

Post by brotherhuw »

Suitably encouraged I'm off to Amazon. Cheers gang