Trek Farley

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Trek Farley

Post by ton »

threw my leg over a carbon farley today. for a man who finds it hard to be impressed, it raised a lot of interest.

anyone seen/ridden/got one?
voodoo_simon

Re: Trek Farley

Post by voodoo_simon »

The normal Farley sold out by Xmas last year, so I'd make your mind up quick.

Not seen one but the spec sheet is certainly appealing, I'd be tempted with one of I had the money.

Did you not ride a fat bike a couple of weeks ago and not like it? Obviously there are fat bikes and there are fat bikes :grin:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ton wrote:threw my leg over a carbon farley today. for a man who finds it hard to be impressed, it raised a lot of interest.

anyone seen/ridden/got one?
Do you want to buy your fat inner tubes back? :lol:
ton

Post by ton »

the on one i rode felt like a big hefty quishy lump. the plastic bike today felt pretty light and tight.
the 2016 model looks very nice.
FLV

Post by FLV »

ok. I admit it. I don't like fat bikes.

Even the 25lb beargrease I tried (a pal has one)

They steer weird, drag on tarmac sections, tyres cost even more than 29+ (I will never give money to on one / Planet x again so forget it)

I love the look of the blue surly ICT, it makes me smirk. but I cant see how its all that.

I do think that for riding in the frozen wilderness, like alaska, canada, (alps briefly ) they probably work, but then so do skis...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

FLV wrote:ok. I admit it. I don't like fat bikes.
Why do you say that like it's a bad thing? I think they are hateful things. Only reason I'd buy one would be to race it.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Only reason I got my fat bike was to race it and I've still got it two years later.

Self steer, at least in my bike, comes from too low pressure in the tyres whilst on a hard surface. Easily fixed :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote:Only reason I got my fat bike was to race it and I've still got it two years later.
That's how I ended up with my second one.....I later found that a Fatty was really good for putting a child seat on as the extra grip is a safety feature, a child on the bars plays havoc with suspension but you need some cush and I live a mile from the beach in agricultural countryside. Soft and squelchy sums up most of my local trails! :lol:
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

I really like the carbon 9.x 2016 Farley frame, but 27.5 Fat? There's only one tyre. Maybe Trek are so big it doesn't matter, and I guess you can always put 26 x 5 in instead. I'd just feel like a hostage to Trek's whims, and I'm already caught by buying a Stache, albeit at least there's a bunch of 29+ tyres out now.

Much as I love my LBS, if I was going for a carbon fatbike, the cheapest Canyon Dude would be hard to resist.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

27.5 Fat? There's only one tyre.
lots of 27.5+ tyres available