Peak 200 ITT. Anyone got a strava link?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Polisherman

Peak 200 ITT. Anyone got a strava link?

Post by Polisherman »

Haven't managed to find a GPX for this route, apart from, plotted on a map in the lounge type jobs. These are ok but tend to cut corners and straight line junction where detail is needed.
It's a bit soggy at the moment, but thought I'd try a chunk of it this Saturday/Sunday...
ianfitz

Re: Peak 200 ITT. Anyone got a strava link?

Post by ianfitz »

There's a link to the gpx on the
selfsupporteduk website
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Cheers for that Ian

It's different to the one I had. The one I had felt so convoluted that I never bothered with it.

I'll have to give it a crack.
Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

Cheers all.
Ok problem... I've downloaded the gpx file from self supported and the route shows up complete on Garmin Basecamp, lovely. When I send it to my Etrex30 it's only displaying part of the route. What have I done wrong??
FLV

Post by FLV »

Might need to reduce the trackpoints (it will square off the odd corner)

www.bikehike.co.uk can do it.

load your file, hit options, hit reduce (something like that)
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

I rode the route from SSUK yesterday / last night. I fixed it by importing it in to GPX editor and converting to track.

Beware, some of the track is way off of what is on the ground - eg there's a section at the Monsal trail where you get directed up a cliff.
FLV

Post by FLV »

DrMekon wrote:I rode the route from SSUK yesterday / last night. I fixed it by importing it in to GPX editor and converting to track.

Beware, some of the track is way off of what is on the ground - eg there's a section at the Monsal trail where you get directed up a cliff.
I presume you mean at chee dale / wye dale where it crosses the monsal. It seemed clear to me when I went through that section that the trail is intended to follow the pennine bridleway, of which there are 2 options in that area. Just pick one and crack on, its fine and well signposted so shouldnt cause any issue. :-bd

Although, as you say some of the plots don't lay precisely on the map track (may depend on software, zoom level etc) it seemed clear to me which trail you should be using in each case.?
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Where there were discrepancies, it looked like the route had been filtered, but there were times when you could see from the shape of the trail where you were meant to head - ie it looked like it had been mapped on something other than OSM (which both of us were using). That's what it felt like - a filtered route that someone had made on a map other than OSM, rather than someone's track who'd ridden it. That's not meant to be a criticism. It wasn't a big issue - just a warning not to expect to be able to follow the pink line without thinking.

I can't remember exactly where we were. Near a cafe and a bridge, I think. By that stage, I was quite grumpy.
atk

Post by atk »

It sounds like the bit near Wye/Chee Dale. I got confused there too (my GPX track doesn't help in that section at all...). I don't think it'd be possible to get a better GPX, it's better off just telling people to go over the bridge and up the hill... saying that you can quite easily miss the ramp up to the bridge if you're not paying attention...
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Yes, from audaxing, I realise it's the devil's own job making a gpx file that every device is happy with, but still provides a error-proof track. Fortunately, my mate does lots of fell running in the area, whereas I've only done a BHF thing there (that seemed to be comprised of most of the big descents on this route).

The descents were great fun - wish I'd been less fearful of running out of food and carried less. I must have finished with over a kilo of food that had travelled around with me, plus stove and a half dozen sachets I'd not managed to drink. Sadly, my bike came back with a pretty decent score mark on one of the stanchions. It's currently in the shop because it looks like something has gotten under the seal and done it.