Group size....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Group size....

Post by godivatrailrider »

Just a quickie.... I get the impression Bikepacking is very much a solo activity .... what is deemed to be an indecent size group.?
We had 6 of us on our first trip. We stayed at a campsite at a pub, so not exactly roughing it. A group of that size probably is less than ideal.
Is there a notional max group size?
Taylor

Re: Group size....

Post by Taylor »

What rules are these your talking about?
I enjoy riding with company probably more than solo.
On this years WRT we had 6 riders in our group. On day two we tagged two groups and a couple of solos on so we had about 15/16 for a while then we split up again back to a smaller size.
15/16 is quite big but I wasn't thinking that I must make the group smaller at any point.
When it comes to biviing it would be harder to find a pitch to bed down for, unless it was a dedicated campsite.
6 is fine.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is there a notional max group size?
Solo, pair, six, whatever, it's all good. Obviously you need to vary certain things as group size increases but they can add a great social dimension ... I recall there were 18 bodies on last years Winter Bivvy :-bd

May the bridges you burn light your way
godivatrailrider

:) that's great news then :) I'm very much a social animal and have a great bunch of riding mates. I prefer riding in company than alone.

I didn't think there were hard and fast rules, but there may be unwritten rules. Glad this isn't the case :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm generally a miserable 'bstard but do like riding with others as much as I like riding on my own. When the planets align I can often combine the 2 on the same trip by arranging to meet people somewhere.

Saying that, one of last years most memeroble trips saw 7 of us head out from BB Towers in the snow - good times :grin:

godivatrailrider

Would you still bivvy in those conditions? Or are Bivvy/tarp combo's 3 season only?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

We could've bivvied on that trip...IIRC, everyone had the kit to do so.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

We could've bivvied on that trip...IIRC, everyone had the kit to do so.
I think you're right Scott.

The night was spent at a bothy but it would have been perfectly feasable (and even enjoyable) to have spent it outside. I can't imagine that anyone would have been carrying a tent in the true sense ... I probably had a bicycle 3.5 or similar with me. Experience and the application of common sense would have produced a sheltered, snow free spot for the night.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

As others have said, solo, pairs, half a dozen are all good but the bigger the group the slower you will move.
godivatrailrider

Ray Young wrote:As others have said, solo, pairs, half a dozen are all good but the bigger the group the slower you will move.
I know this from running the club..... under 15 is ok, but sometimes we get 30+ and it never moves as well.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I think its more of a common sense thing

I nearly always bivi just myself and my partner, but day riding can be solo or in a typical roadie peloton, I feel safer in a group usually, but I'm quite antisocial....

I think the main reason its common to keep groups small is for wildcamping, as more people makes it harder to find a pitch or stay hidden. If you're miles from anywhere up a mountain then there's no issue, but more risky or impromptu bivis it would make more sense to split into smaller groups for the night.

There are no hard or fast rules, no ones stopping you but its all common sense, you'll know what's best there and then
slarge

Post by slarge »

The winter bivvy that Stu referred to was in the depths of winter, so not much chance of being stumbled across by ramblers, but group size is very much a common sense thing. Campsites etc - there is no maximum, but wild camping is small unobtrusive groups.

I love going at my own pace, and in a direction that suits me, hence most of my riding is solo, but small groups are great too.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

If everyone in a group have similar abilities on a bike it doesn't matter on the size I suppose. Because 'events' tend to be over such long distances it's inevitable you usually ride alone a fair bit. But if your heading out for a ride and a bivi. With a spot pre selected the more the merrier.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I seem to do quite a bit on my own. Group adventures can certainly be fun though!

If you're planning to stay at a bothy this limits your group size to 5 max.

As the bothy code says "Because of over crowding and lack of facilities, large groups (6 or more) should not use a bothy nor camp near a bothy without first seeking permission from the owner."
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you're planning to stay at a bothy this limits your group size to 5 max.
Sadly that doesn't seem to prevent 30+ people turning up for a party/rave when the mood takes them. :roll:
Ned Kelly

Post by Ned Kelly »

I suppose also depends how important the ride is...is it just a social ride with your mates or are you on a mission?...the more there are the more chances of stopping & starting with mechanicals etc... If someone has to quit, do you quit with them or leave them with a revolver & 1 bullet in the chamber :wink: