Writing up trips and ways of presenting them

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

Writing up trips and ways of presenting them

Post by composite »

Hey all. Part of my job is the stay abreast of what is going in in the multmedia authoring world so I try out a lot of stuff just to see what it's all about. I recently got access to something called "Sway" and thought I would have a go.

By way of an easy project I thought I would use one of my trips from last year as the content and see what I could put together. Bare in mind this was really just about throwing stuff into it and seeing what happened. I tweaked a few things here and there but I haven't really done a huge amount of work on it so some things are a bit off but I just wondered what people thought of this way of presenting trip write ups. I might start doing these in future on my blog for the big write ups but wanted to canvas some opinions first.

Let it load, its a bit image heavy. Navigation is bottom right.
https://sway.com/7-tvEX7CBgni1jeA

EDIT: Just for giggles here's a hastily put together vertical scroll version. https://sway.com/hEpAiPVYPyF3TsEa

For reference here is how I originally published this write up: http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/201 ... -triangle/
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Writing up trips and ways of presenting them

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I quite like it, although when there's a page with text on the right, my screen cuts the text off ... I'm on a 12" MacBook Pro.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

looks good , might be cool portfolio tool (im a product designer ) for projects at work and personal portfolio stuff to ... like that you can add video links etc ... on that topik been thinking of doing a bike packing film ( i make allot of climbing films for people and have had stuff in KMF etc and did do some cycling film but filming other people for a comedy that i made with a couple of mates called Furious cycling (involved a green morph suite and a speed camera ) so need a change from climbing films etc) so should have a crack at that some time bit of a pain doing shots and having to walk back for the camera etc though hahah!

but back on topic yea that looks good !
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Not sure if this is any good to you.

http://www.videoscribe.co

Zoe cracks the whip there.
composite

Post by composite »

Single Speed George wrote:looks good , might be cool portfolio tool (im a product designer ) for projects at work and personal portfolio stuff to ... like that you can add video links etc ... on that topik been thinking of doing a bike packing film ( i make allot of climbing films for people and have had stuff in KMF etc and did do some cycling film but filming other people for a comedy that i made with a couple of mates called Furious cycling (involved a green morph suite and a speed camera ) so need a change from climbing films etc) so should have a crack at that some time bit of a pain doing shots and having to walk back for the camera etc though hahah!
If you are interested George here's my bike album on Vimeo. It includes 7 or 8 bikepacking films I have made.
https://vimeo.com/album/1960318

EDIT: I meant to say that last year I did a write up of a trip I did with my girlfriend. One of the days the bird song was incredible, so I recorded it and included some audio in the write up. I'm interested in ways of presenting a full multimedia er.... experience (gah... sounding like a new media marketing guy from 1998 :YMSICK: ) rather than just some pictures and text, or a self contained movie. It's a fine balance though of giving some one as big a taste of the experience as possible without the media becoming the experience...
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Same problem with text cut-off on the macbook, which was just a bit irritating. Shame, as the concept is good; clean and stylish.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Nice PowerPoint presentation ;-)

P.s. worked fine on my nexus 5 via chrome.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I liked both horizontal as it was a bit like an eBook and vertical with the photos together (although not sure on the whizzing in).
feepole

Post by feepole »

Viewing on iPad I much preferred the vertical version. For some reason the horizontal didn't fit well with the screen aspect.

Looks like a great trip.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I don't suppose you have the .gpx for the first two days do you? I'm trying to sort a Radnorshire route at the moment :)
composite

Post by composite »

godivatrailrider wrote:I don't suppose you have the .gpx for the first two days do you? I'm trying to sort a Radnorshire route at the moment :)
I'll take a look.