ive not got my off road bike with me in glasgow at the moment so
i was thinking out of glasgow canal path or west somewhere
i may try the campsie fells
any suggestions would be good
cheers
Mariner

Re: new tarp need playmates near glasgow

Post by Mariner »

Your in Scotland you can bivvi almost anywhere within reason.
Me I would head down to Gourock get the ferry over to Kilcreggan head up to the top Loch Long turn left after Arrochar and head into the hills.
Wonderful play ground up there think its called the Arrochar Alps.
Watch out for bears. :???:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

Mariner wrote:Your in Scotland you can bivvi almost anywhere within reason.
Me I would head down to Gourock get the ferry over to Kilcreggan head up to the top Loch Long turn left after Arrochar and head into the hills.
Wonderful play ground up there think its called the Arrochar Alps.
Watch out for bears. :???:
If your in Glasgow and have a car, ignore the ferry just head north towards Loch Lomond and you'll get to the Arrochar alps.

though I'm sure I did read something about there trying to clamp down on the wild camping in this general area (Loch Lomond/ Arrochar area) since this is a national park and all the scum from the citys are trying to use it, the locals don't want the the great unwashed near them.

Having said that you'd have a small foot print and as long as you showed you were being reasonable, I think it would be a hard nosed ranger that asked you to move.

Campsie Fells would work as long as you use the Carron Valley side, it'll be quieter

the canal paths, unsure of the ones heading north out of the city, but the ones heading west can go through some rough areas.

The Arrochar alps forestry has a small bothy along the Loch Long shore, or you can head the other way and end up in a small remote area, but the route is mainly logging roads.

Have a look at the John Muir way along the west coast, it may give some ideas, or look out for the bloggs by Jurassic on this forum, again for some ideas.

Roddy
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Shame about Arrochar as had many a happy time up there.
I used to leave car park opposite Succoth get up onto the forest road head up to Allt Coirigrogain. Dump the bike and walk up to Bealach aMhaim which was really just a bog in the sky and use that as the jumping off point for Cobbler or Beinn Ime.
There are trails leading off from Allt Coirigrogain as well I am sure if you get far enough off the beaten track you would be ok.
I once came down Allt Coirigrogain in the dark just a bit of moonlight pitch black under the trees absolutely brilliant ride. :-bd

What about Arran always fancied a trip over there as the mountain area in the north end are recommended.
Is it worth it?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Mariner wrote:What about Arran always fancied a trip over there as the mountain area in the north end are recommended.
Is it worth it?
I looked into Arran and although it looks promising apparently it's not worth it. The tracks leading to the mountainous area in the north are good but making loops with them is a no goer. The mountainous area is not bike friendly at all with narrow, rocky and exposed trails some of which are scrambles with at least one needing rope.
rockaperoon

Post by rockaperoon »

hi all
im testing tarp bivvy bag this thurs near girvan on a beach
after that i plan to have a few weekend bivvy trips in scotland
get in touch for plans ect