Any ideas for northern seaside bivi spots. . .

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

adjustablewench

Any ideas for northern seaside bivi spots. . .

Post by adjustablewench »

I am thinking of taking my two boys for a ride (or possibly walk) this weekend, and i was thinking it may be nice to do something costal. i think they would appreciate a short ride with more time messing about on a beach, for a change.

We are in sheffield - which is not know for its beaches, does anyone have any ideas about suitable places? was hoping to find something in the north - either west or east, but hopefully not too many hours drive away. I've had a quick look on google earth and can't seem to see many immediate options - any ideas will be gratefully received - and if anyone fancies joining us for a coastal pootle let me know
Mart

Re: Any ideas for northern seaside bivi spots. . .

Post by Mart »

You've got to watch those seaside towns, last time I went I witnessed some truely shocking behaviour

A man and woman arguing in front of loads of kids, all got a bit messy when she hit him on the head and it all kicked off
Police eventualy turn up and ended up batoning the bloke, but he managed to grab the truncheon and fight back against both the copper and the woman....then a crocodile turned up and stole all the sausages
2924 miles per Gallon
adjustablewench

Ha ha! I should specify I was thinking more of beaches without the seaside town attached :)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

adjustablewench wrote:Ha ha! I should specify I was thinking more of beaches without the seaside town attached :)
there is a 21mile long ex-railway between scarborough and whitby. Seem to remember there's at least one campsite right next to it, one attached to a pub!

I can think of a few bivy spots within easy reach of that. I'll have a look at the map when i get home and send some GRs over if that would help.
adjustablewench

Brilliant - thanks ian
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I know some of that area from my youth. Robin Hoods Bay is a fantastic place for kids. Sandy areas of beach interspersed with rocky areas, lots of rock pools. Also great for fossil hunting and looking for "Whitby jet", a black semi precious stone used in jewelry. Near Ravenscar is a disused quarry that is right on the railway line NZ958 023, I'm sure you could bivi there without problem. It has two huge boulders called " The Two Sisters" , great for climbing on. Boggle Hole was a favourite play area too, it is a stream running into the sea south of Robin Hoods Bay. There is a campsite right on the railway line at Flyingthorpe NZ945 045.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Robin hoods bay is an amazing beach. Plus a yha at boggle hole if you fancy a bit of luxury ;-) Virtually right on the beach.
adjustablewench

Yes max has stayed there before - and I hear it's just been done up
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

Robin Hood bay is very nice. You could also catch a train to Hull from Sheffiled, or one of the earlier spots. Then follow the Transpenine Way, this is mainly onroad to Hull. There is a bridle path that you can take from Hull (about 2 miles out of the city) that takes you to Hornsea. From there you can head north to Scarborough or drop down to Bidlington. Past Bridlington things go quite a bit quieter and you should be able to find a Bivy spot. It all depends on how old your kids are?

If the kids are older and you fancy some hllls and scenery, look up the Moors to Shores route. This will take you from the Dales to around Scarborough. The main Bivy spots would be on the moors, so arrive late and leave early.