Fat Tyre Help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RayKickButts

Fat Tyre Help

Post by RayKickButts »

HI guys

Just got back from a 3 day bivi trip which had to be cut short for a mechanical and odd tyre issue

I'm running Surly Larry 3.8's front and rear

On the 2nd night i was trying to gaffa tape and cable tie my rear hub back together and noticed a odd stripping on both tyres on closer inspection its the inner material of the tyre coming through the side wall!

Day three due to excessive play in hub and very worrying tyre i binned the ride

Is this a common issue with fatter tyres? Pics below show the problem

There is nothing rubbing on the bike/tyre so i can only guess its as the tyre is hitting rough ground and wearing away the sidewalls?

Is there a harder wearing tyre that anyone could recommend for mutli use on and off road?

gairym

Re: Fat Tyre Help

Post by gairym »

I've never had that with my fat tyres but with regular tyres I've experienced that when I've been forced to ride with too low a pressure for a long time and so you get those wear marks from where the tyre folds as it rolls (at least that what I understood them to be).
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

It's nothing to really worry about. The low pressures and suppleness of the tyres mean there is lots of sidewall deflection. As long as the threads don't start to separate or bulges form you should have no problems. I'm sure there is a thread on MTBR fatbike section about it. Lots of people are still riding tyres a lot worse than yours. :wink:
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

LOL ok i'll keep going for a wee while longer with them but think i'll order some more so i have them at the ready
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Tim surly there are £££££ there's lots of other makes available now
Trying to ride bikes.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've seen lots of Larrys like that - some new out of the box.