HTR 550 Grand Depart Qualification

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

landel

HTR 550 Grand Depart Qualification

Post by landel »

Hi all,

Long time lurker and first time poster so to begin with I'd like to thank everyone for all the helpful information and hours of entertainment. Much appreciated :-bd

I'm considering taking a stab at the HTR, possibly next year. I realise how ridiculously hard it is but I'm willing to put in the training time now while life still allows it. Since next years HTR grand depart requires qualification I'm wondering if there's a definitive list of qualification events anywhere? I'm pretty sure there are none in Ireland but that'd be a lot easier for me to get to :wink:

I'm open to other suggestions but I'm considering a late Oct attempt at the Lakeland 200. Just wondering about lack of daylight, possible adverse weather conditions and boggy ground making the going too slow? I see from the various blogs and trip reports that there is a high dropout rates and the 40 hour time limit sets the bar very high.

Thanks,
Liam.
mountainbaker

Re: HTR 550 Grand Depart Qualification

Post by mountainbaker »

This is about all there is about it so far I think.

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=7&t=3865
landel

Post by landel »

Cheers for that.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'm open to other suggestions but I'm considering a late Oct attempt at the Lakeland 200. Just wondering about lack of daylight, possible adverse weather conditions and boggy ground making the going too slow? I see from the various blogs and trip reports that there is a high dropout rates and the 40 hour time limit sets the bar very high.
Based on my sub 40 round. (27 hours moving)

You've ~11 hours of daylight in October. Starting at the trad depart of Staveley I'd do the first non technical section to the top of Walna Scar (7hrs) in the dark so I'd set off at Midnight.

Dunnerdale and the climb up to Burnmoor tarn can be boggy, but you'd not lose a lot of time there if you walk some.

You'd get over Black Sail and pass Honister on day 1, and that's it really for techy stuff, other than the drop of Garburn at the end.

A 4-5 am start on day 2 would see you done by nightfall.

Imho the Lakeland 200 has a high dropout rate, because it is such an easy route to escape from.

If the weather is grim it'll be an epic ride. :smile:
landel

Post by landel »

Thanks for the advice Rich, sounds like a well thought out plan. I really enjoyed your blog too.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Lakeland200 is a cracking ride. I did most of it last year and it is possible in a long day, but for the HTR you will want some bivvy practice so you could do the ride with a short bivvy and still manage sub 30 hours reasonably comfortably.

Good luck
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

slarge wrote:Lakeland200 is a cracking ride. I did most of it last year and it is possible in a long day, but for the HTR you will want some bivvy practice so you could do the ride with a short bivvy and still manage sub 30 hours reasonably comfortably.

Good luck
If you want a good mix of daylight and bivi, the Cairngorms Loop over three days would be a good combination. There's about 24hrs of riding for a mere mortal like me, which splits nicely into day rides and you'd make the 56hr cut without too much hassle if you're in good fitness. The window for it is closing though as it's getting colder up there.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

AlasdairMc wrote:
slarge wrote:Lakeland200 is a cracking ride. I did most of it last year and it is possible in a long day, but for the HTR you will want some bivvy practice so you could do the ride with a short bivvy and still manage sub 30 hours reasonably comfortably.

Good luck
If you want a good mix of daylight and bivi, the Cairngorms Loop over three days would be a good combination. There's about 24hrs of riding for a mere mortal like me, which splits nicely into day rides and you'd make the 56hr cut without too much hassle if you're in good fitness. The window for it is closing though as it's getting colder up there.
Much, much colder today. One of those days when you're trying to balance getting colder through self-powered windchill or getting home quicker. MCoS has already issued hypothermia warnings.

Having said that, we had some great weather last September/early October so don't discount the old Indian Summer.
landel

Post by landel »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to travel lightish but will bring a bivvy bag alright. I'll give the Cairngorms Loop some thought too but obviously I'll have to get a move on whichever I choose.
Mart

Post by Mart »

MC ofS have already tweeted that the first snow has been seen on Ben Nevis, getting colder for the Cairngorm Loop
2924 miles per Gallon
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Was a bit chilly on Saturday (especially the fords of avon) but Sunday was fine