Setting Bar Height

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Setting Bar Height

Post by Chew »

Getting to the point where I need to set the bar height on the new build.

Is there any magical rule on height in relation to saddle height?
Its difficult to tell just sat on the bike and i'll end up playing around with it after i've ridden it for a few hours.

The steerer will need cutting down and i'd rather not get it wrong :???:

Back to the Bothy......
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Setting Bar Height

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Leave the steerer long and add some extra spacers until you've ridden it a few times ... I assume this is what you'll be doing anyway?

Can you use the bar height on your Inbred as a guide?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

s8tannorm wrote:Can you use the bar height on your Inbred as a guide?
I'm thinking there are too many variables for it to be a direct comparison.

I assume once the star nut is in its not coming out so i'd need to leave the steerer extra long so once i cut it down it would be below the original star nut height?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I assume once the star nut is in its not coming out so i'd need to leave the steerer extra long so once i cut it down it would be below the original star nut height?
There's always the option of using an expander rather than a star nut or fiddle about until your happy and just buy another star nut? Or set your star nut nice and low in the steerer and use a long bolt until you cut it down.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I set the star f nut high and test ride with spacers padding out long steerer. Then tap it down when I want to cut steerer to desired height. Never had a bother doing this.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

When I did the bike fitting and design course, the way we got the height (and reach) right was to get the saddle height correct first, then sit on bike, rest your hand on the bars, then if you lift your hands from the bars, you shouldn't fall forwards over the bars. If you do, either the bars are too low, or the reach too great. Adjust until you don't feel the need to fall forwards.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bars the same level as the saddle has always been my rule of thumb (for comfort and steep downhills)
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

If the inner diameter of the steerer tube is same all the way down you can knock the star nut right through & out the bottom & start again.
Most suspension forks are tapered though so even though you may still be able to force it through the star nut will be knackered.
If the forks are rigid steel you may be ok.
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You can bang them out the wrong way if you hit them hard enough (steel bar and big hammer) won't cause any more damage than when they went in. You can then hurl it into the neighbours garden and fit an expanding wedge type one which don't slip or gouge the inside of your forks.
jameso

Post by jameso »

As Stu says, I use a replaceable / expander wedge for most bike builds, at least for the first few months. The sort used for carbon, many fit steel too. Leave it long with that in until I've done a good few 6-7hr+ rides. Every bike is different and familiarity is a bad way to set up a new bike where anything committing like steerer length is concerned : )

Bar height - generally a tad higher than you first think is ok. 3 days into a long ride you'll be glad. Also add space for 5mm on top of the stem even when you cut it off.. same reason.
Good points from mtnbaker and htrider too.