Anyone tried a Gryphon?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

deejayen

Anyone tried a Gryphon?

Post by deejayen »

I've come across a used one which is tempting me. I won't be able to try it before buying it, so I'm trying to get a feel of what it's capable of - a lot more than me, I'm sure!

Most reviews picture Gryphons trundling down smooth-ish forest tracks, and I did read a snippet by someone who'd tried one and said it absolutely terrified him on a rooty descent (compared with his full suspension bike).

The latest model can take a Knard front tyre, but the older one (like the one I'd be buying) can't - I suppose I could buy a new fork. Anyway, is it going to feel like a death-trap on off-road routes?

I'm looking at it as something to get me going, and it has decent components which I could later transfer to something else. On the other hand, it might be brilliant!

I might be able to pick up a set of Jones handlebars with the bike, which would open up other possibilities...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Anyone tried a Gryphon?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did read a snippet by someone who'd tried one and said it absolutely terrified him on a rooty descent (compared with his full suspension bike).
No surprises really ... coming off a full susser onto a rigid with drop bars would take a little adjustment :wink:
I might be able to pick up a set of Jones handlebars with the bike, which would open up other possibilities...
If you don't want to ride with drops I can't see why you'd buy a Gryphon ... it was designed for drops.
May the bridges you burn light your way
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks, Stuart.

Singular Sam says that the Gryphon's geometry works well with the Jones bars, and that he has them on his!

I may be going off this particular one, though - it's maybe not as clean as I first thought... I'll need to think about it some more!
jameso

Post by jameso »

If there's one bike out there that would be a good partner to my Jones it's a Gryphon. The geo is similar in style if not exact numbers and I think it'd be a nice match for either drops or loop bars - quite a wide-ranging bike for more road-tour type of stuff. I've been tempted in the past.. but have no real need with the Jones there.
is it going to feel like a death-trap on off-road routes?
No more than any rigid bike, less so than many I'd expect. With loops I think it'd be great as an all-rounder.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How do the figures for the Gryphon stack up against the Swift, similar or very different?*

*I should go and look but figured someone might already know.
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

They seem to be quite a bit different, although I'm not sure what it all means in practice. The Gryphon has the short top tube, non-suspension-corrected forks, and a taller head tube etc.

These are the figures for the Large sizes. Swift First, Gryphon second.

Effective top tube 618 592
Seat tube Centre Centre 445 430
Seat tube Centrre Top 500 480
Head angle 72 70.5
Seat angle 72 72.5
Head tube length 120 155
Chain stay length 450 445
Bottom bracket drop 60 60
Fork length 470 455
Fork rake 45 55
Wheelbase 1092 1088
Front trail 72 72.7

The bike I'm looking at seems a reasonable price, but I'm just not sure about the state of the components etc. I wouldn't mind getting a second opinion - would anybody be willing to take a look at some photos if I emailed them?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh yeah very different.
would anybody be willing to take a look at some photos if I emailed them?
I'd happily take a look but in reality it would be very difficult to judge what state things are in by looking a pictures.
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks, Stuart. I think I've managed to upload the photos to a Flickr album... https://flic.kr/s/aHsjZurYwy I think the original photos are larger (about 2.5MB each) so please let me know if they would be of more use.
YetiTony

Post by YetiTony »

I owned a Gryphon for around a year and loved it. Gutted to have got rid of it.
I ran it with 2.2 Conti X-Kings and also Cyclocross tyres and found it a very versatile bike.
Like Stu said if you are used to ride a rigid bike then it is great off road. I road it around all my local trails and on rooty sections and was great fun.
It ended up being my go to bike and used it from commuting to full days out - 60+ miles.
Got rid of it for a road bike and now regret it!
Pics and a short film below:

ImageAngel & Gryphon 2 by Yeti Tony, on Flickr

ImageLittle Bardfield Church... by Yeti Tony, on Flickr

https://vimeo.com/70210217
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks, Tony. Sounds good. Loved the video.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Got one, love it.

It's rigid, so it's a bit bumpy compared to a "normal" handlebar'd, hardtail but only in the same sort of way that any rigid forked bike would be.

I'd just buy it. I know that's being a bit cavalier with someone else's budget but they're great :cool:
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks! It seems they're great bikes, but I'm not sure about this particular one. The components seem to be a bit tired, and quite dirty. It could turn out to be a bad buy if I end up replacing loads of components.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

deejayen wrote:Thanks! It seems they're great bikes, but I'm not sure about this particular one. The components seem to be a bit tired, and quite dirty. It could turn out to be a bad buy if I end up replacing loads of components.
What's there to wear out?

SS chain fiver tops
Chainring looks ok
Fresh pads a tenner both ends
Pair of brake cables a couple of quid
Fresh bar tape for a fiver
King headset will have replaceable bearings
New BB a tenner

That's not everything that might be knackered but still pretty much a worst case scenario? Can you divulge the asking price? That would definitely help determine if it's worth the gamble.
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks, Johnny. It's just that the bike looks a bit grotty. Maybe all mountain bikes end up like that, and I'm expecting too much! It's difficult to tell from photos. The brake callipers look slightly corroded, and the wheels scuffed, and even the spokes look discoloured - maybe some Stans' goo has leaked out! Apparently it does need a new ISIS bottom bracket, but that's not a problem. As you say, maybe it just needs some new cables and a good tidy-up. There are a few scrapes on the frame (no dents) and there seems to be some surface rust on the rear dropout cowl. He's asking £500 plus delivery.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I sold my swift frameset in a similar "used" condition (with brakes, cranks & headset) for about 300 quid I think, if that helps with approximate valuations.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Hi deejayen, is it local to you-ish? I believe you are in Inverness yes? I am just down the road in Aviemore so may be able to have a look at it with you if it is local.
PM me if that's any use to you.
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Hi Gari

Thanks very much - that's really good of you. Unfortunately, I think the bike is in the Midlands! I'd much rather see and ride a bike before buying. I haven't been actively looking, but I haven't noticed any similar bikes for sale in Aviemore/Inverness.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Might be worth swinging into Velocity and having a look on their notice board as they have bikes on there occasionally. I shall keep my ear to the ground, what size are you after? can't promise I won't be tempted myself mind :grin: :oops:
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks, Gari. I'm about 6ft tall, so would generally need a Large. My ideal bike is a Jones, so something along those lines. I quite fancy trying a singlespeed. However, I suppose any sort of bike would let me dip a toe in the mountain biking waters...
Gari

Post by Gari »

My Roadrat is single speed, and quite long in the top tube if you fancy coming over and taking it out for the day sometime. Are you after an MTB or CX type thing?
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks, Gari! However, I'm looking for more of a mountain bike. I've ridden a fair bit of fixed wheel on the road, but I'm new to mountain biking. I don't have any off-road skills, but fancy getting away from the traffic and riding some nice routes.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I am just finishing building a new 29er, the only thing I was going to take from my current bike was the wheels. It was then going to go on here as a frame set etc. for Sale.
It's a large Genesis Fortitude race, I could sell it as a complete bike if you we're interested. Same thing applies if you fancy coming down the road to just take it out for the day, would maybe give you an idea of sizing etc, plus a chance to try some of the local trails.
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks again, Gari. I might be interested in that. You can email or PM me with details.

I suffer from numb fingers when riding a bike (I gave up riding ‘normal’ bikes for a recumbent a few years ago), so not sure about the riding position of the Fortitude, as the handlebars seem relatively low, but it might be fine in practice.
YetiTony

Post by YetiTony »

From what you are saying would it not be better to go for a standard bike, ie. a hard tail which will give you a bit more comfort when riding off road, it will also be a bit more forgiving if your off road skills need some work?