Still No UK maker for Bivi's ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Still No UK maker for Bivi's ?

Post by FLV »

I know theres Alpkit, TN and RAB but is there still no UK manufacturer doing things like Cuben tarps, bivi's and custom gear like the US guys such as Borah, MLD, Bearpaw, Z Packs etc. ?

Surely theres a gap in the market there for someone who knows what they're doing?
composite

Re: Still No UK maker for Bivi's ?

Post by composite »

FLV wrote:I
Surely theres a gap in the market there for someone who knows what they're doing?
Maybe this is the problem? :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Sean of OookWorks makes some fine gear.

http://oookworks.com/

Blimey, just got horrified when I opened that OookWorks link – FLV, you’ll know why…
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've been talking to Marc at Trekker Tent recently. He makes some nice stuff, all designed to cope with UK conditions and made in Scotland. I'm looking forward to seeing the bivvy tent he's nearly finished testing. The Drift looks like it could well be a good option for a light, 2 skin tent ... he sent me a short video clip of it taking on 60mph winds in the Highlands ... it didn't even flinch :wink:

http://trekkertent.com//index.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Alpinum wrote:Sean of OookWorks makes some fine gear.

http://oookworks.com/

Blimey, just got horrified when I opened that OookWorks link – FLV, you’ll know why…
You have a phobia of bare feet? :grin:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

It's my very own bare feet...
FLV

Post by FLV »

Alpinum wrote:It's my very own bare feet...
Thats why I'm not clicking that link.

Nobody needs to see that
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've tried to talk my mum on to this. She's a very skill seamstress who is now retired from her main job.

But apparently she wants to take it easy or something....
GilesRene

Post by GilesRene »

Are these guy not from the UK??
http://www.snowandrock.com/bivis/campi ... egory/list
It's pretty good nonetheless, well adapted for UK conditions, the roughest of it at least. Me and the lads usually get are stuff from here and haven't been dissapointed as yet.
Not to spenny when coupled with http://www.voucherbox.co.uk/
Last edited by GilesRene on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, Rab are a UK company and they make some nice gear but it's not exactly light, something like their Storm bag weighs over 3 times what a standard Borah weighs ... I'm not really comparing like for like there as the Rab is fully waterproof and the Borah isn't but it's very rare that many of us need a fully waterproof bag. Something to keep the dew off, condensation levels low and the winged teeth at bay is actually much more useful in 90% of situations.

I think FLVs point was that while there are numerous UK outdoor gear makers there's not many that cater to the ultralight geek element ... of which many bikepackers are. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've mentioned before that Mat as UKhammocks makes most of his stuff (hammocks, quilts, various accessories etc) as well as stocking other people's gear and bringing various bits of cottage vendor stuff from the States (Dutchware stoves and hammock hardwear etc) into the UK.

TBH his website doesn't do him justice or reflect the flexibility he has (had?) to produce bespoke gear. For a big strapping lad he works wonders with a Singer :wink:

His quilts for example don't have the colourful fabrics or swish photos of some of the US guys but he uses (IIRC) the best quality down (900fp?) and I've always been toasty in his "summer" TQ which is a serious light and fluffy bit of kit. IIRC it's about 500 or 600g.

It's not pitched as UL gear but I know he loves that stuff (cuben pack, tarks etc) and much of what he makes is close.