Solo bivi rides

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Solo bivi rides

Post by JohnClimber »

Ok I admit it I've never solo bivi'ed before ---- There I said it.

Maybe I'm scared of the unknown maybe I've not got the bottle.

Tell me about your first solo bivi and if you've done it again afterwards because it was so good.

Any horror stories?
Mike

Re: Solo bivi rides

Post by Mike »

No horror stories from me John, i mainly bivy on my own its great to be out there. Just dont do it in a town park! I will admit though its more fun in company for sure....enjoy
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I had stags looking for mates, badgers inspecting my camp, pheasants creating a ruckus, a party going on down the hill and it pissed it down all night on my first solo trip.

Didn't get much sleep as you can imagine.

Wasn't much fun at the time but I look back and smile about it now at the absurdity of it all.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Probably about half of my nights out are on my own.

First trip was from Settle and i didnt get as far on the first day as i'd imagined so ended up picking a poor spot exposed on top of a hill. Very cold with little sleep on the tops, but a cracking weekend out in the sun and a soul destroying 30 mile section down the canal.

Nothing to fear really. On my own i may be a bit more cautious on bivi spot, but anytime i have been rumbled, they just think i'm some kind of weirdo and stay well clear :D
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I need time to myself and multi day solo bike packing trips are the way I enjoy it most. Go where you want, when you want, at the pace you want, stop where you want and have no one to rely on but yourself. Sometimes things go wrong but real horror stories, no. You should try it, it's great.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

This year's WRT for me. It was fine. I was a bit more anxious about where to pitch up but the freedom of only having to worry about me was liberating.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

ah...............um......
nor me. Only ever bivvied with a mate or the dog.
have not done it solo yet.
I did sleep in the garden in my hammock on my own.
I'm guessing that doesnt count?
Am planning on doing a solo or two this summer but have an overactive imagination.
did you hear that?
Grubby little urchin.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ray Young wrote:I need time to myself and multi day solo bike packing trips are the way I enjoy it most. Go where you want, when you want, at the pace you want, stop where you want and have no one to rely on but yourself. Sometimes things go wrong but real horror stories, no. You should try it, it's great.
All of the above. I've been camping on my own since I was a teenager so it's second nature to me. Even long winter nights are enjoyable. Take a book (or Kindle/Smartphone), a hipflask and some hot chocolate or just sit and look at the darkness.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

First time was in February a few years ago near Moel Famau. Took a summer sleep bag, so was cold and a very long night but I survived :D

Some mountain bikers went past on a night ride (both parties looking at each other as weirdos!) and a helicopter hovered above me about midnight (did get worried it would land on me :shock: ).

Woke up to a frozen bike, had a hot drink and then rode to flint train station via a caff for the worst fry up ever :?

Good fun though!

Off next weekend for a solo trip, cant wait
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A lot of my rides/overnights are solo, 90% are also in areas with no phone coverage. I don't tend to give it a second thought and as mentioned above, I really enjoy the solitude and 'selfishness' it allows. Maybe riding with strangers for a living has made me appreciate riding on my own ?

With regard to things that go bump in the night, it's never a concern because I'm the nastiest thing out there ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I was chatting with an older / long time local mate about one of the places I often go to hang, either on my own ir with the boy. He was discussing the number of bodies that have been dumped there (at least two) and shootings (at least one). Nice!

Still like it as a spot though 8-)
gairym

Post by gairym »

99% of my camping/bikepacking/riding is solo and I love it!

I like riding with friends when I get the chance and I've mostly enjoyed bikeacking with other people too but you can't beat being out there on your own in my humble opinion.

Though the incident with the wild boar a few months ago was a sniff daunting at the time :shock:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Thanks all
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Some of my best trips have been solo rides, Some so good i have been back on foot instead to slow the pace down for a even better scenic experience.
I have only had one bad solo and it was down to stress and pending issues that ruined it not the trip which i thought would take the load of my mind.
Try it ,have fun :D
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just sorting my kit out for a solo trip now ... no real idea where I'm going other than I'll head off in a NE direction, don't know how long I'm going for or how far I'll get. As long as I'm back before next Sat it's all good ;)

I might even post up a kit list later :)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

s8tannorm wrote: As long as I'm back before next Sat it's all good ;)
Is Dee worried? ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is Dee worried?
Doubt it, it was her idea ;)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Oh :shock:
rwhite01

Post by rwhite01 »

First solo night out was a dream, strung up the Hennessey in a nice sheltered spot enjoyed the darkness and slept like a baby. The second was more traumatic. Again hammocking. I set up, cooked myself some soup and marvelled at my wooded location choice. Got into my bed slept about 2 hours and woke up to numb toes and a freezing back. Got off to sleep again and woke up to barking dogs... sounded the like the hounds of hell with the shock of waking up. After I got out and the adrenaline wore off I got so cold I packed up and rode like hell 12 miles back to the car still wearing my thermals I sleep in and losing my bearings a few times along the way.

Not fun... since I've done a few more solo bivis and they've gone great. It's easier not having to compromise for other riders but the thought of wild savage dogs is less scary with company haha
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Well I think I'll give it a go a week on Friday, (if I can get a pass and it's dry [wimpicon])

I think I'll ride from home, catch a ferry to the Wirral and follow the coast around it and down to the Llandegla trail centre.

Bivi at the top in the woods and ride down for breakfast at the trail centre. Then reverse my route home, 55 miles there and 60 home.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

First solo ride update.

Route sorted
Bike sorted
Kit sorted
Food sorted
Pass from wife sorted

Rain forecast for the first day and night of my ride, think I'll pack stuff ready but postpone it for a few days if needed.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Just before the longest day I was out over Winter Hill, tent up just off the path, in a mixture of heather and bilberry which gave my pitch a nice fragrance... it was a lovely night and didn't really get dark at all to the north, but a strong wind was getting up which made me keep waking up... the forecast had mentioned thunder I vaguely remembered... I was awake at 3am again... and to the south the sky lit up but no thunder.. aha ! sheet lightning I thought, then another flash... and another...and another ermm... and then it stopped... for about 20 seconds, then started again but now it was coming closer and closer... then I realised it was not sheet lightning... it was somebody coming !!! I lay very still with all senses alert (what will I do if it's woman ? would I let her in... ? she may be mad... ) then concentrate - it could be a mad axeman... then I heard footsteps going past... and immediately wanted to know where they (only one) were going at this time... had to unzip sleeping bag, inner tent, then poke my head out of the outer.. and look up the single track to the north, but NOTHING, and nobody to be seen ! Even more worrying to think they (only one) had turned off their headtorch and might be doubling back to creep up on the other side and chop me in two with their big axe... anyway I'm still here (and I wasn't dreaming)
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Looking out the window now I'm so glad I bailed and didn't head out today.

The ride will still be there in nicer weather
barney

Post by barney »

keep me posted mate
Wait for me...
Matthew77

Post by Matthew77 »

I tried my first bivvy 2 weeks ago after receiving my brand new bivvy and down sleeping bag. Was very exited to try it out. Packed all my gear into a small backpack and headed out in the van to a local beach with the dog. After a little walk to my camp I set up my bivvy (well throw it on the sand) along with a cut of foam sleeping mat and sleeping bag for the dog, went for a bit of a walk with the dog, came back and had a cider while stargazing and then bedded down for the night. Ten minutes later the skies opened and it started to rain! I was snug in my bivvy but I didn't like the fact that the dog was getting soaked so had to pack it all up and head home :(
Going to need to buy a tarp I think!