Can't shift a Ranger

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Can't shift a Ranger

Post by Shewie »

Think my valve went today, tried for forty minutes to get the fecking bead off the rim before sacking it and walking 5 miles back to the road.

Any tips for getting a stubborn Ranger off a Rumpus rim, besides a Stanley knife? I don't think my thumbs can hack it anymore.
Shewie

Re: Can't shift a Ranger

Post by Shewie »

Forget that, managed to shift it

Well one side anyway, that's progress :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Now you're home, try standing on it...? Or buy one of these TyreKey doodahs...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I feel your pain.
Had a set of Ranger Lights that were incredibly hard to remove from some WTB Scraper rims.
Just separating the bead from the hook was almost impossible let alone getting the bead off the rim.
In the end I fashioned a hooked tool from a bone handled butter knife that I could slip under the bead with great difficulty. That got the beads into the middle of the rim. Initially I had to use a large screwdriver to get the bead off the rim but that took a chunk out of the aluminium rim. After that I ordered some big ass metal Park (?DH) tyre levers. Those have the required amount of leverage to fight the tyre off but are kinder to the rim.
Good luck!
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Rangers and Scrapers vs TheBrownDog last year was probably my lowest ebb when it comes to mucking about with bikes. I've set up a few tyres tubeless but combining these things almost defeated me. Managed in the end with the same Park Tools metal levers that Luke mentions above, and a lot of sweating and swearing. And bought an Airshot, Game changer.

Luke, watch out with those levers. I managed to punch a lever head sized hole in the rim well of one of my new 650B+ wheels with some injudicious jiggling as I was fitting another set of tight tyres to them. No major drama, as they're going very well now, thank you, but I doubt I will ever be able to sell them with that sort of damage. :roll:
I'm just going outside ...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I keep getting a facebook advert for what looks like a pipe wrench / tyre pliers. Looks like it would be perfect for this sort of thing.

Ironically I can't find it for love nor money now I actually want to!

Edit - A slightly more refined version of this thing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bbb-Cycling-Un ... 00A855QRY/
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Rich I've got one of those and it's quite good for smaller tyres, so 2.4 or less, or not so tight rims .... so you could probs manage it with thumbs and a fork of spoons :grin:
I'm just going outside ...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:19 pm
Luke, watch out with those levers. I managed to punch a lever head sized hole in the rim well of one of my new 650B+ wheels with some injudicious jiggling as I was fitting another set of tight tyres to them.

Errrrr… been there done that :-bd
Punched a hole into the bed of a Halo Vapour rim already. Having fitted a tyre I wondered why air was pissing out of all the spoke holes, soon found out why :roll:
As with you Tim, no big drama and standard rim tape has taken care of it. This is one reason why I don’t do carbon…
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have always just stood on the tyre and the used the rim as leverage.

Does not work so well with small tyres and my 32 c required some mole grips ( but i was at home and changing a worn tyre)
Last edited by Lazarus on Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

After one of my nails started to bleed underneath I've given up for the day, pizza and a couple of IPA's will ease the pain hopefully.

Had those Rangers on since I bought the bike in March '20, they're well worn but okay for local jaunts. I've been meaning to go tubeless for ages but never got round to it, seems like a good time to switch, might drop to a 2.6 whilst I'm at it.

I've been lucky with punctures, not had one on the Sonder until today, that was a sub standard show though and I can't be arsed with that again.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Like Lazarus says. Get your big boots on, stand on as much tyre as you can get under your foot and use the rim as a lever. Maybe stand on a block of wood on the tyre too.
slarge

Post by slarge »

but don't whatever you do use the spokes for leverage. Cue broken spokes. Don't ask how I know.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've found mole grips quite good for removing tyres. Grab a good chunk of the tyre from the middle and lever across the rim.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Rangers are horrendous for breaking the bead. Funny really as they go on alright. Standing on them doesn't work on the 3" ones as the sidewalls are too soft. You have to get in with the thumbs and man does it hurt. Must try one of those tyre levers...
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

This too caught me out with my 1st puncture with my new bike. Got a puncture but it just happened to be my 1st ride out with my new tool bag, mini pump and all. Could not get the freakin' levers underneath the tyre and walked 2 miles home. As others have said, stood on the tyre and pulled the rim. Crude but effective. Did wonder if I'd warped the rim as a result.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Rapideye wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:21 pm This too caught me out with my 1st puncture with my new bike. Got a puncture but it just happened to be my 1st ride out with my new tool bag, mini pump and all. Could not get the freakin' levers underneath the tyre and walked 2 miles home. As others have said, stood on the tyre and pulled the rim. Crude but effective. Did wonder if I'd warped the rim as a result.
I'm probably stating the obvious, but I alway unseat the bead and push the bead into the middle and bottom of the rim.
If the bead is so tightly seated apply an liquid to lubricate and ease unseating it. :-bd
Push it into the midele, the deeper part of the rim. the pull the tyre up on the opposite side to keep it there.
they proceed where you're holding it, with a tyre Lever (at 2 at 2-3 spokes apart) or you may be able to just use your or thumbs. :-bd
I had the above problem with Schwalbe 32mm Marathons on 700c wheels afew year ago, on the Missus bike (an old well loved Orbit tourer) . 'Twas Before I learnt this technique. They had very stiff side walls. one side would go over the Rim no problem, but getting to other side. on 'blood & sand and damnation ' or other cruder Anglo saxon phrases were uttered! I think I resorted to velcro wrap to keep the other bead in place on lifting the final bead over the rim into place.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Rapideye wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:21 pm This too caught me out with my 1st puncture with my new bike. Got a puncture but it just happened to be my 1st ride out with my new tool bag, mini pump and all. Could not get the freakin' levers underneath the tyre and walked 2 miles home. As others have said, stood on the tyre and pulled the rim. Crude but effective. Did wonder if I'd warped the rim as a result.

I'm probably stating the obvious,
but this is now how I do it and wonder why I made hard work of it. :???:

I alway, now, unseat the bead and push the bead into the middle and bottom part of the rim. since its smaller diameter so smaller circumference than the 'beads seat lip' you get a bit more slack on the bead to ease unseat/ seating it. :-bd Clever ahey?

If the bead is so tightly seated, apply liquid to lubricate and ease unseating it. :-bd (The Latex sealant is gluing it on).
(Pissed off? I dare you! :lol:) or spit in disgust!

4 simple steps
- Push it into the middle, the deepest part of the rim.
-Then pull the tyre up on the opposite side to keep it there.
- Proceed, as normal' from where you're holding it inplace.
- with a tyre Lever (at 2 at 2-3 spokes apart)lever it over the rim... or you may be able to just use your or thumbs. :-bd

a little tale (yawn)
I had the above problem with Schwalbe 32mm Marathons on 700c wheels afew year ago, on the Missus bike (an old well loved Orbit tourer) . 'Twas Before I learnt this technique. They had very stiff side walls. one side would go over the Rim no problem, but getting to other side. on 'blood & sand and damnation ' or other cruder Anglo saxon phrases were uttered! I think I resorted to velcro wrap to keep the other bead in place on lifting the final bead over the rim into place.

Best of luck next time :-bd

if there sumething I'm missing about rangers and rumpus. enlighten me. WtB ranger 2x 2.25 fast light, no probs maybe 3-4 years old (24mm) int dia width. spanky rims trail oozy rims with saw tooth profile no burp' beadseats.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

WTB and Rumpus are the hardest combination I've ever had the pleasure of ... make WTB and Scrapers seem easy :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I couldn't let it beat me last night, I found some work gloves with a rubbery palm in the man cave and they worked a treat to get the second bead off, along with a couple of Pedros and other cheapy levers, tyre came off a doddle once I had the second bead off and pushed into the centre well.

Shortlisting a few replacements now, I guess it's just a case of trying other tyres, some will be easier to remove than others.

Now I understand why tubeless has become so popular, you can't get modern tyres off to fix a puncture :grin: I think the last time I fixed a puncture was somewhere around 1989 and tyres almost fell off themselves back then.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

There doesn't seem to be any reason for tyres to have such a tight bead. Chupas are fairly easy to break and I've never yet had one fall off, even at 8psi. Likewise various fatbike tyres, even baggy buds which aren't meant to be tubeless. I've run them at 1psi and never had one come off the bead.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Reminded me of this I came across a week ago….

Might do the job… £14.95

https://cyclepal.co.uk/products/cycle-p ... ating-tool
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

The advert for CyclePal refers to road bikes… :mrgreen:

I’ve sent them an email asking if MTB works…
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Rangers off, rims cleaned and taped, valves in, new tyre on.

Turns out my Rumpus rims aren't as tubeless ready as I'd hoped, big leak on the rim join

I'm having one of those weeks :-L
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

What size Rangers are they Rich? I have 2.6 on Halo Vapour rims and they're okay to get on and off. Sounds like it's just a perfect storm combination of tyre and rim on the Rumpus rims.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

2.8s mate, to be fair they've been on since the bike was built so they were nicely welded on

Banged some jizz in last night and the leaks have stopped, good to go on some chunky Morsas now