Flat shoe

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Flat shoe

Post by ootini »

Hi all. I usually wear Salomon Speedcross Vario trainers when on the MTB running flat pedals.
They've seen a lot of use so are now heading binwards. The obvious choice is another pair, but can anyone recommend anything else I should be looking at? Preferably with good grip for walking too.

Thanks
ton

Re: Flat shoe

Post by ton »

i have been using Keen targee waterproof shoes for the last 3 years. same pair still going strong.
good and grippy on the bike. and so so comfy.

cheap here.

https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/KEEN_Targhe ... IYEALw_wcB
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Hmm interesting - 3 years is pretty good for a waterproof membrane shoe, how often do you wear them?

The last 2 pairs of waterproof boots I've had have lasted 6-9 months of regular use before they started leaking (probably worn 3-5 days a week)

I've just sent a pair of 5:10 trailcross waterproof boots back to Adidas after only 3 rides due to a pretty significant design flaw (the neoprene ankle cuff isn't waterproof so water just wicks down through it)
ton

Post by ton »

how often do you wear them?
every day. for riding,dog walking and in the garden.
also have the winter boot version, but not used em much as we have not have had any winters for a long time.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-TARGHE ... GH-WP.html
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I've never had a waterproof boot/shoe thats remained waterproof for long. And whats worse is once they do get wet inside they take forever to dry out.
ootini

Post by ootini »

I'm not too fussed if they're waterproof, as I can always wear waterproof socks, or overshoes
techno

Post by techno »

I've some 5ten trailcross mids, good so far.
https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-trail ... F3010.html
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

techno wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:54 am I've some 5ten trailcross mids, good so far.
https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-trail ... F3010.html
Definitely my next shoe purchase. They look great.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've got the low cut version of the Trailcross, and just ordered some of the hi-tops.
Recent tour of Wales showed them to be very quick drying. Paired with waterproof socks, my (very nesh) feet stayed happy, even after a river crossing. Probably not enough for the depths of winter for me, but a good option otherwise. Downside for me is I tend to wear them as everyday shoes, and wear out the soles too quickly.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:00 pm I've got the low cut version of the Trailcross, and just ordered some of the hi-tops.
Recent tour of Wales showed them to be very quick drying. Paired with waterproof socks, my (very nesh) feet stayed happy, even after a river crossing. Probably not enough for the depths of winter for me, but a good option otherwise. Downside for me is I tend to wear them as everyday shoes, and wear out the soles too quickly.
Pretty much the opposite of my experience with the goretex trail cross :grin:

the mesh bit on the toes took ages to dry on mine and coupled with the neoprene ankle wicking water into the shoe, I though the design was really poor for a £150 RRP boot.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Those boots look alright, but the tread looks non existent. Wouldn't you be slipping all over the place in any degree of slop or mud?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ootini wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:44 pm Those boots look alright, but the tread looks non existent. Wouldn't you be slipping all over the place in any degree of slop or mud?
I've had very few problems with my five tens, and they look grippier than those.