Bike hike down again. OS type alternatives?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Polisherman

Bike hike down again. OS type alternatives?

Post by Polisherman »

'ow do.
I know it's been done to death, but I'm still struggling to find an alternative with a, OS maps for definitive rights of way. b, the option to save as "track".
I've got an OS subscription, and you can plot routes but no "track" option.
whitestone

Re: Bike hike down again. OS type alternatives?

Post by whitestone »

I posted this on your post on STW.

The error is: “API Key has been blocked by Administrator” which doesn’t say if it’s explicitly OS related but since they stopped using Google Maps in favour of OSM because of Google’s change of terms it’s likely.

There’s this JavaScript error: OpenSpace is not defined at mapPack.js:129 (anonymous) @ mapPack.js:129

Which is this line in the code:

Code: Select all

var gMap,osMap,extBox,bOpen=false,mSrc=”MAP”,findPt=0,gMarker,gdir,gpl,opl,
undoMngr,sCur,eFlush=false,startMarker,endMarker,gMove=false,osMove=false,
bOSEdit=false,dragEditor,ctrlKey=false,hpID=0,hpIcon,seed,rteIcon,sha_lib_loaded=false,
bLogon=false,lastRname,lastRdesc,mapState=0,distance=0,rData=[],ple,reqInProg=false,
ou=’mph’,path=[],lastPt,eleGraph,eBuffer=[],hPoints=[],xcnv=0.62138818,eludist=[],
eluspd=[],eldist=[],eluheight=[],ycnv=3.2808399,prRte,prId,prReq,prMkrArr=[],
mflg=0,hvMkr,adClicked=false,
gridProj=new OpenSpace.GridProjection(), // <------- This line
BO=detectBrowser();
OpenSpace is/was the Ordnance Survey Javascript library. It was replaced at the start of this month by a new API – https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busine ... /openspace

Not sure how much warning was given to API key holders. With luck the new API is pretty much a drop-in replacement so shouldn't take too long to update.

Edit: Before they went - "Now that you rely on us, we are going to charge for usage" Google maps underwent a similar couple of changes from V1 to V2 to V3 where you needed a new API key for each version. They did keep old and new versions side by side for a month or two to allow client websites to transition over.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Post by Boab »

Right of Way maps have just removed OS Mapping from their list of choices. https://www.rowmaps.com/
This web page used to provide links to four kinds of maps: "OS map via Bing", "Ordnance Survey map", "OpenStreetMap map" and "Bing map". It now only provides three. I have removed "Ordnance Survey map" because it used OS OpenSpace and the Ordnance Survey have now removed OS OpenSpace. Although they have replaced OS OpenSpace by OS Data Hub, the latter only provides OS 1:50000 mapping if you get a written agreement from each visitor to your web page and I do not want to do that.
So it looks like an issue that's hit multiple third party services...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Over the past couple of months I've noticed that Veloviewer won't let you select OS mapping unless you agree to your data being handed over to Ordnance Survey. The popup doesn't say what that "data" is. Here's the actual message:
Changes to the Ordnance Survey Mapping API terms and conditions for their premium mapping services require VeloViewer to share your personal details with them upon request. Do you consent?
There's nothing on his blog to say what is being handed over.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hope they sort it as after trying various other things (including OS) its still about the best. Currently trying garmin basecamp which appears at first glance to be rubbish. For some reason, unasked, it downloaded all my OS maps off the garmin (I wanted it to download a gpx track) Oddly, whilst I can now see these maps on screen, they look like a very low res scan of a paper map, including paper ripples :???: Still cant fathom how to get a gpx track off it....
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

you could try thunderforest OSM maps such as outdoor and cycle interpretations of OSM mapping data., but not all right of way are present or distinguished (bridleways vs foot paths)
Ordance survey really do have the best mapping but 25k is getting really cluttered.
talky toaster do alternatives to Garmin mapping.
they are really good. all very detail Rights of way data, footoaths /bridlways etc. May be it is worth seeing if you can purchase offline mapping/API key etc.
as a bonus Talkytoaster has got better clarity than 25k leisure OS mapping showing 25k detail with 50k clarity in an OSM format. so no oversaturation of blue tourist Info labels & clutter... ( https://talkytoaster.me.uk/ )

I hope thst helps
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..