North West England Route Advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zoglug

North West England Route Advice

Post by Zoglug »

Morning all,

as some of you may have seen, i have signed up for the WRT Lite, which to be fair will be my first bit of mountain biking since Feb/March 2012 and in that time have put around 2 stone on. I know its going to hurt, a lot, but I’m looking forward to it. However just so it doesn’t end in complete disaster, I am looking to get out on my bike over the coming weeks so I can put a little bit of steel in my legs and more importantly get used to my gear! The only issue I have got is I don’t really know where to head.

I live just outside of Manchester, and a quick google search revealed the Mary Towneley Loop, but after reading, the idea of 4,000 feet of climbing over 47 miles worries me a little bit as i know i am not fit enough to tackle it. The other idea i had, is to cycle up to Dovestones reservoir (or push the bike up to it), and just head off somewhere over that direction.

So my question is ‘does anybody have any ideas for rides within an hours train journey of Manchester, suitable for a beginner to tackle? As the plan is to cycle into work on Friday with all my gear, finish at 3.30pm or if i am lucky half day, catch the train to said location, cycle, bivi, cycle back to a train station and head home on the Saturday morning. I just need a little point in the right direction as to where is good to start all this, especially learning how to put up a tarp!

I know i keep asking for it, but any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance

Zog
Last edited by Zoglug on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: North West UK Route Advice

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd suggest a train up to either Edale or Chinley. Get off the train at one station and get on at the other the following day.

There's some cracking stuff you could use to link the two together and it would also be very easy to get back to either station if it all goes wrong.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Thank you very much! :D

Thats perfect and exactly what i was looking for. Knowing im not to far away from places if everything goes pear shaped is very reassuring! :lol: Ive just booked my train ticket to Edale for Friday afternoon i cant wait to get the map out this evening. 8-)
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Hi Zog - A nice evening route from Edale would be to head up towards Hollins Cross, around the side of Mam Tor, cross the road at Mam Nick, then Rushup Edge and Roych Clough. You could bivi somewhere down at the bottom of Roych Clough in the valley (nice and sheltered), or head up towards South Head and bivi higher up if a fine night. The riding shouldn't take more than 2 hours, even taking it slowly. Then you can ride down into Hayfield (down the Sett Valley Trail to New Mills station) or Chinley, with lots of options for extending your ride if you wish.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Might I suggest you re-name this thread "North West England Route Advice"? I opened it to add in some stuff about Kintail and Sutherland :)
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

ScotRoutes wrote:Might I suggest you re-name this thread "North West England Route Advice"? I opened it to add in some stuff about Kintail and Sutherland :)
Done! :lol:
Teetosugars

Re: North West England Route Advice

Post by Teetosugars »

You coud always head west and try Delamere etc... Would happily join you for a night out.
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

ChrisF wrote:Hi Zog - A nice evening route from Edale would be to head up towards Hollins Cross, around the side of Mam Tor, cross the road at Mam Nick, then Rushup Edge and Roych Clough. You could bivi somewhere down at the bottom of Roych Clough in the valley (nice and sheltered), or head up towards South Head and bivi higher up if a fine night. The riding shouldn't take more than 2 hours, even taking it slowly. Then you can ride down into Hayfield (down the Sett Valley Trail to New Mills station) or Chinley, with lots of options for extending your ride if you wish.
Thanks for the route ChrisF! I spent yesterday lunch in Waterstones with the relevant OS map, and its the route im going to take on Friday evening. I will pick up the OS map tomorrow, when i also pick up my WRT OS map too!
Teetosugars wrote:You coud always head west and try Delamere etc... Would happily join you for a night out.
Once i get a few miles in my legs, ill most certainly check out Delamere with you Teeto. At the moment, i am rather unfit, so know i would just slow others down. But give it a couple of months and i will definitely join you.

Cheers for the help everyone!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Loaded up and with 'unfit' legs, don't be too despondent at having to walk a lot of the Mam Tor/Rushup climbs. Even unloaded I know a lot of riders that will be off pushing.
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Anthony wrote:Loaded up and with 'unfit' legs, don't be too despondent at having to walk a lot of the Mam Tor/Rushup climbs. Even unloaded I know a lot of riders that will be off pushing.
I am under no illusions i will be off pushing a lot :lol: The idea is to get out, make the first steps on the long road to getting fit, whilst also putting the kit ive bought into use! Ill end up walking a fair amount of the WRT, so its worthwhile getting the practice in now!