Acepac MASSIVE (1.2L) toptube bag review

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Acepac MASSIVE (1.2L) toptube bag review

Post by redefined_cycles »

I mentioned a while back that I would review this as I'm into green stuff and if its not made in China then I'm even happier for it (for lots of varying ethical reasons which I won't get into). What originally caught my (minds) eye about Acepac was all their gear is made from Cordura Eco (essentially recycled PET bottles whatever that means exactly) and they have an eco-ethos which can be read about more http://www.acepac.bike/o-nas/.
ImageImage

Other than the fact thats its eco and the manufacturing isn't outsourced to some faraway place, I was actually in the search for a framebag but didn't want to invest in one without first ensuring that I had the right brand. What initially caught my eye on one of the bikepacking manufacturers list was how cool their gear looked in this picImageHowever that full framebag cannot be found anywhere so I can only assume it was either a custom bag or a oneoff which is now discontinued. This leads my to the main flaw that I've found and why after what I know now, I wouldn't have gone with this framebag anyway (unless it came with a full webbing ladder so I could upgrade the velcro to proper Velcro from the original brand). It seems the framebags that are currently available (more on where I bought AP later) have a grown on hook and loop system and if its anything like the one that came with my 1.2L toptube bag then its a bit rubbish and hence I won't be investing and hence am out. But thats regards their other gear and I am a bit (read: alot) OCD about my gear being just right.

So, for the actual review of the toptube bag. Would I buy it again: Yes...; What would I change: Only the velcro fastenings and upgrade to something more secure (not that whats supplied isn't secure and I'm sure it could be made to be a bit more grippy around the bike frame) like the Velcro I added and removed their own hook and loop stuff from the webbing straps.

ImageImage Image

If you look at pic 2 its what I managed to stuff into it after removing the inner dividers and I still had a few grams of space left. In comparison to the 1L Crikey, how much bag. Either Crikey, how much have got their volumes wrong (the Acepac is much bigger than just 0.2L) or the Acepac actually has even more capacity than the 1.2L stated. After adding the Velcro fastenings its been solid as a rock (not that it was before but I like a firm hold like the Apidura bags give) and to be fair I've even swapped the straps of the Crikey, how much pack for the Velcro (or will be doing fully at some point).

Regards the waterproofing. It seems to have the exact same zipper as my late Revelate Tangle (the older version) and it is indeed a YKK zipper. I wouldn't bet my life on the waterproofing though as there is a gap that water can easily enter where the zip sits inside the zip garage. Hence I would be more happy running it as a front bag (as seen on my Earnie) as opposed to near the seattube junction (as seen on Stan [the Sonder]). Hopefully this would mean that whilst riding into the rain, it wouldn't enter straight into the abovementioned hole and I normally have my waterproof phonebag in there anyway.

All in all, its a cool bag after swapping the straps to some 3cm wide ones (I'm currently on 2cm Velcro but will upgrade futher later). It can be bought https://www.bikester.co.uk/search.html? ... ery=acepac and if you find other stuff to the order of 99Squid you can use your £10 voucher which they give by simply subscribing!

NB. If anyone (meaning more than 6 peolpe) wants a more thorough review by the man himself (Stu) then I'm happy sending it forth to sunny Wales for a few weeks of abuse! :-bd :lol:

NB. If I didn't say it already.... I love it and what a worthy £39 (including the £4.99 postage from Germany) investment
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Acepac MASSIVE (1.2L) toptube bag review

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Little 'heads up' regarding AcePac stuff ... I shall be stocking quite a few of their items in the shop very shortly.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Thanks Stu... will keep an eye (how long roughly?)...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

will keep an eye (how long roughly?)...
Hopefully no more than a couple of weeks.
redefined_cycles

Excellent... what a good choice. I would definitely think about the Velcro upgrade on the same bag as mine if you dont mind upgrading on that sort of thing (I've spied a 3cm wide Velcro version for just 4.40 and 5m of it... Planning on getting that too)...

Hope the review wasn't too dull and any pointers for future reference are always appreciated
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Little 'heads up' regarding AcePac stuff ... I shall be stocking quite a few of their items in the shop very shortly.
I take it ,it gets the full approval then stu ,will keep eyes peeled so I can kit out son of M.A.M or rather he can out of his wages working with my uncle
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I take it ,it gets the full approval then stu ,will keep eyes peeled so I can kit out son of M.A.M or rather he can out of his wages working with my uncle
It does so far Stu. The luggage market seems pretty much saturated at every price point but these got my interest because they've actually put some real thought into their products - things that make them stand out from the crowd a bit.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I like the little mesh pockets on the sides ,ideal for keeping chain links and small stuff in and easy accessable
redefined_cycles

middleagedmadness wrote:I like the little mesh pockets on the sides ,ideal for keeping chain links and small stuff in and easy accessable
Mesh pockets on both sides... I managed to fit a small graze bar on each side but mainly have started using to just put rubbish in (takes 2 cans of ginger beer inside) so after drinking a can of drink I've managed to squish it down and its fits flatways in the side pocket.

Another thing I forgot to mention on the said bag is that the webbing ladder beneath has space to hook 3cm thick Velcro through. With the 2cm Velcro its stable enough but the 3cm would be even nicerer...

In the centre of the zip is also a webbing ladder. Originally i was thinking of how to use but managed to get specs hooked in there (although did catch my knees on thw road bike)....
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I quite fancy one of the tube bags - look forward to seeing them in the BB shop
redefined_cycles

Just a little update... rode it on the Sonder yesterday for a DH muddy ride... ran it towards the stem where theres only space to use one strap. So 3 Velcro (the upgraded ones) on the top tube and one over the headset/steerer spacer under the stem... what a lovely grip it all had and I didnt worry about it being loose once. Even whilst I was struggl8ng trying to stick some winter gloves in there (over an already rammed bag).

The love just keeps on grow8ng and I too will be keeping an eye as to what comes into the shop