Wet the bed.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

Wet the bed.

Post by rufus748 »

Used my Rab Survival Zone for the first time last night on Dartmoor.
Bivi'd in thick mist and woke up soaked. Not great in a down bag.
Not only was the inside of the bag wet (I guess from not breathing) but also my feet were soaked where they had been out all night and the water had come through.
On its way back for a refund.
So, new one needed.
Recommendations please!!
On the plus side, my new Klymit mat and pillow were great.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Wet the bed.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In all honesty that sounds like what happens in the vast majority of bivvy bags, if the conditions are right. Your best chance of avoiding it is to go for something that's made from either Gore-tex or eVent (expensive option) or get one which isn't actually fully waterproof but is very breathable (less expensive option).

These days I favour a very breathable, water resistant bivvy bag along with a tarp ... sleeping out with just a bivvy bag can be a bloody miserable experience.
May the bridges you burn light your way
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Unfortunately I was under a tarp which makes it worse.
Which one are you using at the moment?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Which one are you using at the moment?
The Borah Gear bag is my favourite at the moment.

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... y-bag.html

If you were under a tarp then it's fair to assume you were suffering condensation rather than a leaky bag ... you didn't end up with it pulled over your face did you?
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

No, although it crossed my mind. My feet were soaked from the dew and mist.
The Borah looks the business. I take it you've got the 1.1 DWR? Did you get one with the hood option? And do you need the extra long zip?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I take it you've got the 1.1 DWR? Did you get one with the hood option? And do you need the extra long zip?
No, mine's M50. M90 is slightly more breathable, slightly less waterproof and a little heavier. Full net 'hood' and the extended side zip.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

I can recommend the MLD Soul eVENT bivy as totally waterproof & very breathable, but it is quite expensive.
simon72

Post by simon72 »

The Soul eVent looks interesting, I was considering a MLD Superlight as it zips up fully (like the Soul) however has a small moon shaped air hole to keep condensation low.

I notice however the Soul has no breathing hole! Have you used this fully zipped up in wet conditions? Aren't you at risk of suffocation?

MLD Superlight : http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/sh ... ucts_id=30
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

I'd never fully close up the main body of the Soul (the eVENT bit), but there's also an integrated strip of bug netting that I do zip up if I want to keep the worst of the wind out. If it's pouring with rain and you don't have a tarp over your head then you can use the double zippers on the main eVENT body to leave a few inches open low down to minimise the chance of water ingress but still allow you not to die of asphyxiation during the night. Fortunately I've only ever been rained on in the bivy when I've had a tarp over my head so it wasn't an issue.
simon72

Post by simon72 »

Ahh I see. So the main difference between the superlight and the soul seems to be the top fabric. eVent v's Endurance 10D 3X DWR.

I will add the soul to my wish list and delete the superlight.