'18 YD300

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pete-G

'18 YD300

Post by Pete-G »

After completing my first BB200 this year I've been looking for the next event I could challenge myself on. I was thinking about the YD200 but looking at website, its timing might not work for me this year, and thats when I spotted that entries for the 2018 YD300 appear to be open.
How much of a step up is the YD300? Is it a technical course? I appreciate that the only way to find out is to give it a go.
Anyone else giving a bash this year?
Asposium

Re: '18 YD300

Post by Asposium »

I did YD300 last year.
I was the last finisher at 22:50 on Sunday night ....the extra 10km loop didn’t help as I got the course wrong.
Sections are fairly technical.
Expect to ride in the dark.
The fast boys were finishing mid day on the Sunday.
How about “this is not a tour”?
That event has various lengths
whitestone

Re: '18 YD300

Post by whitestone »

I've done all three editions :o I did the 2016 BB200 but not the 2017 so can't compare that one.

There's one section of about 300 metres dropping into Gunnerside Gill that is very technical and the drop off Whernside is rocky but apart from that it's generally low technicality. There's the occasional 10 metre section as well but you'll be through most of them before realising.

Unless you are very fast then you'll have to bivy which is where you'll lose time if you aren't rigorous. My riding time for 2017 was just one minute quicker than in 2016 but my overall time was three hours quicker because I cut the faffing. My bivy was just 2hrs long, long enough to get a bit of rest so that when dawn came I was alert again. I had a total of 4 1/2hrs of stopping.

I should add that it's local to me so I've the advantage of knowing the trails
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry