Scotland - General XC / Trail Trip Question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Scotland - General XC / Trail Trip Question

Post by Richard G »

Trying to plan a trip to Scotland for a friend of mine next year (non bikepacking).

Ideally it would be best for us to fly to Edinburgh and then drive to somewhere from there. Any suggestions? I wrote these notes at some point in the past, but I can't really remember what they mean now.
o Dumfries
Access to Glentress / Kirroughree / Kielder / Lakes

o Perth / Pitlochry
Access to Caingorms / Glenlivet / Laggan Wolftrax
My friend isn't bearboner fit, but he'll put the effort in. I think realistically we'd want to be in a town (food / drink) most of the time then drive out to ride each day.

Thanks in advance. :-bd
Borderer

Re: Scotland - General XC / Trail Trip Question

Post by Borderer »

In Scotland you are really spoilt for choice. I can't really offer any advice other than that the Scottish Borders is fantastic for cycling and accommodation is pretty cheap too. Have fun wherever you end up.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Innerleithen is in that area right? I figured that might be a bit hardcore for us.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richard G wrote: o Perth / Pitlochry
Access to Caingorms / Glenlivet / Laggan Wolftrax

Dare I suggest the Aviemore area? Better access to all three of those locations, plus quite a bit more.

Friendly local advice :wink:

Loads of accommodation - at all price points.

Plenty of food and drink options.

2 - 2.5 hours drive from Edinburgh. If you can fly into Inverness, that's even closer.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

If you head for Dumfries, you've more than just that lot you've listed.
Mabie, Dalbeattie, Kirroughtree and Forest of Ae are all easily accessible 7 Stanes centres from there, Newcastleton and Kielder aren't a million miles away, and closer to home Drumlanrig has some good trails as well. The Lakes ain't far, some good natural loops as well as Whinlatter if you're starting with trail centres, and Glentress and Innerleithen are in your drive back to Edinburgh (or at least not far off it)
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Richard G wrote:Innerleithen is in that area right? I figured that might be a bit hardcore for us.
Nah - its a trail centre, nay bother. there are DH tracks too but the red trail is fine. Glentress is OK but can be busy at weekends. Tons of natural stuff around tweedale and environs
Deeside is good too - base yourself in Ballater and do some of the nearby Deeside trail sections as day rides.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Richard G wrote:Innerleithen is in that area right? I figured that might be a bit hardcore for us.
Yes Innerleithen/Glentress is in the Scottish Borders. It is very accessible though. The trails are fun for all abilities. I take Joe there quite a bit. We just muck about on the skills area, it is beautifully designed and a pleasure to ride. Not much danger of breaking bones or losing teeth, it is pretty tame.
I guess I was talking more about the hills in the Borders. Heading south from Innerleithen you have some wonderful cycling country all the way down to the border. Dumfrieshire is good too.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not much danger of breaking bones or losing teeth,
Have you met Richard?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Nope. Enlighten me.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nope. Enlighten me.
Simply that 'not much danger' doesn't mean none and while there's some, he's quite likely to find it :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ah. I thought you meant he had no teeth :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Now you've done it. My teeth are pretty much the only bits of me left that I haven't broken. =/

Thanks for all the info here. Will look into Inverness, though I suspect there aren't any local flight options for me to get there. Am considering the drive to Dumfries area, as that's about a 10 hour round trip for me. North of Edinburgh (Pitlochry) becomes more like 15 hour round trip, which I really don't think I can face.

Edit - There's a direct from Bristol to Inverness, so that could work. Though annoyingly, none from Shannon (where my friend is coming from).
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

What time of year are you going?

All good options but if you can mix in tweed love, ride to the sun. Edinburgh bike festival, festival in fort William, or an event like the world cup or enduro event it might be more lively, electric fields in Dumfries, rock ness, old music one in Perth, dare I say T in the park( i have never been or will i ever).

If your friend is mostly a road rider, with a bit if off road maybe inner hebredian sea food festival with a load if good riding from oban.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I believe we're planning on being there at the end of June. 21st to 25th or something in that range.

Friend is very, very much not a roadie.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

go avimore , and during ur trip do the natural (ish) single track that starts where the larigru hits the glenmore forrest its an amazing descent ! (and if you want a really unplesent peice of HAB that links up to this crry your bike over the boulders through the chalamain gap first !
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I think if there was ANY hike a bike, I'd never be forgiven.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard,

Be aware that the distances in Scotland are pretty big and it takes a while to get between places even if the traffic is light. Pitlochry to Aviemore along the A9 will take at least an hour for example, possibly closer to 90mins if there's slow traffic or roadworks. That's on one of the faster roads. Things do get quieter the further north and west you go but everything gets very spread out.

The villages/towns are all quite different in feel. Some have that run down feeling, others feel vibrant. I always find Dumfries a bit dour for instance and prefer Castle Douglas a bit further west.

Sounds like you are doing a "road trip" to sample Scotland. Might be worth getting the Vertebrate guidebooks to give you some ideas (but don't do the Glen Garry loop! :o ). For trail centres then Peebles might be a better bet than Dumfries/CD, there seems to be more work being done in the Tweed Valley on the trails than on the western centres like Ae, Mabie, Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree. I'm not a trail centre aficionado but I thought Laggan Wolftrax was better than the 7 Stanes centres, it's about 30 mins from Aviemore. I've not been to the centres further north like Comrie Croft or Strathpeffer.

I'm told there's good stuff on Deeside but have only done the bits on the Cairngorm Loop in that area. Phil (htrider) knows more about that side of the country http://philsbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/. If you stop at Pitlochry then there's the Beinn a' Ghlo circuit that starts from Blair Atholl along with a ride in the hills to the west. There's a bike shop in the town that should be able to help with "local trails for local people". Aviemore would be another good base with both high and low level options.

"Natural" trails: Torridon is probably the go-to these days. There's a couple of loops to do there plus there's an out and back on the Applecross peninsular. The Bealach Horn loop from Lone/Achfary is well worth doing if the weather's good. There's a loop on the edge of Fisherfield that I've meant to do: Dundonnell - Loch a Bhraoin - Loch an Nid - Srath na Sealga and back. Plenty of stuff in the Cairngorms but things like the inner loop of the Cairngorm Loop can be quite committing and would be a hard day.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

whitestone wrote:I've not been to the centres further north like Comrie Croft
Alan G has said that Comrie is his favourite trail centre, and I think the same myself. It's small but with loads of really really good trails, and has a lovely feel to it. Comrie itself is a nice wee village and there's a fair amount of natural riding in the area. You can ride completely offroad from the centre of Comrie to the trail centre, although the Croft has a good hostel and campsite.

I agree with the Aviemore comment though, it's a nice 'outdoor' town with a real buzz to it. Plenty of good riding in the area, some nice pubs and a dire nightclub.

Depending on fitness, if you didn't fancy the Cairngorms Loop inner as it's quite a long ride, you could shorten it by taking the train one way and riding back. A train from Aviemore to Blair Atholl and then ride the Gaick Pass back (all rideable bar about 100yds), or perhaps leave a car at Blair Atholl, train to Aviemore, and then ride/push the Lairig an Laoigh then Glen Tilt. Glen Tilt is a classic, technical riding on a nice trail above a river.

Laggan Wolftrax is good, and also has the benefit of only being a few miles from Dalwhinnie (and therefore the distillery). Obviously as a tourist to Scotland you need to visit at least one distillery.

Fort William on the other hand markets itself as the 'outdoor capital' but is just dire. So much potential ruined, but it does have good riding. I took an American tourist up the West Highland Way in August, we got the train to Tyndrum and then rode back (about 40-ish miles). A very good way to see some great bits of Scotland.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

By the end of June you can start getting midge issues. I wouldn't let that put you off, but I would pack a couple of head nets.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ugh... midges. I had forgotten about those.
AlasdairMc wrote:Obviously as a tourist to Scotland you need to visit at least one distillery.
I've only ever really enjoyed one whisky, so I suspect it would be wasted on me!
Last edited by Richard G on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Its a real lottery as to whether they will be a problem or not. Best to pack the repellent and nets just in case.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

From what you're describing i don't think you'd go far wrong in Peebles Rich. The only things it doesn't have is the 'wilderness' feel of the highlands & a rail link, but it is a 'safe bet'..

There's loads of good trail riding in Glentress & Innerleithen, plus lots of natural/enduro type stuff if you fancy giving that a go too.

Can recommend the Tontine Hotel, ideally placed & good food-
https://www.tontinehotel.com/

There's camping pods at the trail head if you're after something cheaper-
http://www.glentressforestlodges.co.uk/

Aviemore would also be great if you're after the highlands & has loads of riding options.

Other places in the borders would be Moffat, or further east, Newton Stuart. The Bruce Hotel at NS would give you ride-to access to Kirroughtree, with more of the 7-stains in driving distance, or even the North Lakes..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I know of an airbnb in Hawick that is £30 a night for the whole flat. It is a nice place, very central with free parking nearby. Only has one double bed but it has a living room with a sofa too.
Its not mine but I know the owner. It would make a good base. The flat is up for sale though so it would depend on it not having sold before June.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Would seem a shame to come to Scotland then just ride around a generic trail centre IMHO
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Kenny Wilson (author of one of the seminal books on MTB routes in Scotland) was visiting the Aviemore area this summer, so we took him and some of his mates on a bit of a tour round our favourite trails.

He made a couple of videos, trying to capture what were two decently long days of riding. They might give you some idea of what's in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB63utjM1jI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3Ai1ud8TI