Stinky gloves: help!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Stinky gloves: help!!

Post by redefined_cycles »

As per title pls BBs... I'm gonna attempt a Crikey, how much/Festive500 at end of year... nothing as hardcore as the winter bivvys planned on here but still need some guidance on how to ensure my gloves don't smell like a dead rat after the first days 100 miler.

Last year (gloves being tha amazing waterproof North Face gaunlet types) they kept me cosy and warm through freezimg temps. But meeting/seeing folk at end of days riding was super embarrassing cos of the SERIOUS ponk (obviously the gloves are fully waterproofed).

I know shoes have some special moisture eating powders that can be thrown in... anyone care to shine a light pls.... :roll:
In Reverse

Re: Stinky gloves: help!!

Post by In Reverse »

Good lathering of antiseptic hand sanitiser before you set off and at a couple of intervals through the day.

or

Spare pair of gloves.

or

Just don't give a hoot what people think about your glove smell. Like anyone cares about that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
psling

Post by psling »

Two pairs of gloves.
Once your hands warm up they sweat. Big warm waterproof gloves are great 'til your hands warm up then they're invariably too much. If it's raining a lot it's unlikely to be freezing, if it's freezing you're unlikely to need waterproof. So, I would suggest some thinner lightweight windproof and/or waterproof gloves to carry along with your existing gloves and swap out as soon as your hands are warm and conditions permit.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

bar mitts pogies really are a godsend on drop bars

But over the years ive grown immune to my own funk. gloves now get washed when they are growing mushrooms or folk comment on the smell ...... ie at distance they reek.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

psling wrote:Two pairs of gloves.
Once your hands warm up they sweat. Big warm waterproof gloves are great 'til your hands warm up then they're invariably too much. If it's raining a lot it's unlikely to be freezing, if it's freezing you're unlikely to need waterproof. So, I would suggest some thinner lightweight windproof and/or waterproof gloves to carry along with your existing gloves and swap out as soon as your hands are warm and conditions permit.
This really isn't a bad idea. I've been taking two pairs of gloves on my commute recently!

Aldi winter ones and RAB VR. Latter is much thinner, lighter and more breathable
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks for all the teplies folks. I have dug out my old Madison winter glvoes and will use them in combo with my new deep winter ones...

Will report back post ride to clarify how stinky my hands got :-bd