winter legwear help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

winter legwear help

Post by windjammer »

whats everyone use for winter riding going through puddles and dealing with splashes up your shins.

looked at the endura 3/4 spray baggy and use a knee length sealskin sock with my 45north japanther boots or

full length merino long johns,short liner and breathable full length overtrousers

what else is there out there
Teetosugars

Re: winter legwear help

Post by Teetosugars »

looked at the endura 3/4 spray baggy and use a knee length sealskin sock with my 45north japanther boots
That seems a pretty bombproof combo.

Mind, I'd overheat massively in all of that, even in the coldest of days.

Normally for me its a pair of 3/4 bibs under baggies.

If really cold, full longs under.

Decent socks, but not sealskinz, as if they do get water into them,you just end up carrying it around.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... and there was me thinking Hull was considered northern :wink:

For general 'wintery' weather I don't wear anything other than waterproof(ish) baggies. If things get very cold, I'll add some unpadded 3/4 length bibs underneath. Any gap between bibs and sock goes largely unnoticed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

unpadded
:shock:

Braver than I Sir.. :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't get on with padded shorts of any description Nick. Most of the time it's simply unpadded baggy shorts with nowt underneath. Developing an arse like leather is akin to producing a fine wine and takes time :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

In general I find it's better to have wet legs than wet clothing so 3/4 tights or bib-tights under waterproof shorts (I hate flappy longer waterproofs).

The newer Sealskinz socks are better at keeping water out.

For proper cold, when it's snow and slush, the Endura Stealth bib-tights come out. Usually paired with gaiters.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Just a sheepskin loincloth and a liberal coating of goose fat to each leg usually does me. This also helps to mitigate any risk of chafing between my thighs and my suede saddle cover.

It's important to keep your "engine" warm too so I always have a Thermos full of piping hot Heinz tomato soup.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just a sheepskin loincloth
So, your arse is actually leather? :wink:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Only the actual orifice.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I don't wear padded shorts off road, just boxers and baggies. Padded shorts on the road mainly as I'm wearing lycra

My main problem is my knees, when it's cold my knees really feel the brunt of it (plus hands, feet and ears!). Knee warmers tend to fall down so if it's mostly pedalling and nothing technical then I'll wear unpadded long tights (not bibs) underneath, if it's more technical then i'll wear knee pads (dainese trail skins 2 which are like protective knee warmers)
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I wear Vaude Men's Morzine Zip Off Trousers, With shimano vibram boots.

Vaude Men's Morzine Zip Off Trousers, Men, Trousers, Hose Morzine ZO Pants, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YQB0KQS/ ... bAbBZBEVM9
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Roubaix Leg warmers
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The only time I find wearing nothing under my shorts can cause a problem is when in the company of the fairer sex. I do however now take steps to avoid any embarrassment.

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Gaaaak .... that which has been seen, cannot be unseen. :shock:

I bought a pair of Tens waterproof trousers last year and I rather like them. I wear padded thermal tights under them and longish Sealskin socks. For the feets I've some Shimano XM9 boots. This more than does the trick for puddles and rain, but thankfully there aren't a lot of streams to cross in the Chilterns. That's a whole other ballgame.
I'm just going outside ...
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Military goretex over roubaix :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

If I'm bivying I'll wear tights (still have a couple of pairs of Ron Hill DWR Bikesters, shame they're no longer available) or longs because I don't want to get into my sleeping bag, even with a liner, covered in mud, sheep sh1t, and whatever else I've ridden through. Woolie Boolies or Merino Sealskins (under the tights) in Shimano boots.

Riding locally or back to vehicle I'll wear 3/4s. Socks/boots as above.

In colder weather I always cover my knees. Was told this by a rugby coach many moons ago who insisted we train in tracksuit bottoms in cold temperatures else our knees would be too knackered to run by the time we were 60. Now I'm 60 I feel fortunate that my knees have given me no problems yet despite years of rowing, rugby and cycling.

Surprised none of our colleagues from north of the border aren't braving the winter riding in kilts :shock: :grin:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I bought a pair of Endura Singletrack pants last winter and they're pretty good. Not waterproof but dry very quickly, keep the crap off your legs for trouble free transition to bivvying and have vents on the thighs which do actually help when it's warmer. They have useful pockets and look okay off the bike while still being cut well for riding (I've not had any baggy crotch catching on the saddle moments which are common with some baggy trews).
Mike

Post by Mike »

Blimey stu didn't realise you shave in that area. And your muscles are so toned :o