Beginner one-bike-does-all options?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zen

Beginner one-bike-does-all options?

Post by Zen »

Hi all,

This is my first post here after being recommended via other forums, glad to be joining the community!

I'm after some advice so please bare with my ramblings and help to see what I'm aiming for here. I'm really interested in bikepacking but I'm struggling to narrow down my bike options for my first ride. I used to flatland BMX up until a few years ago so my basic bike knowledge is good and I've searched what seems to be every corner of the internet and have spent months learning about mountain bikes - I think I have a decent grasp on what I'm after for bikepacking. Let me explain:

As of next year I aim to go out on an overnighter once a month - weather permitting - on varied, technical singletrack in all areas of Scotland. I'm also interested in doing the odd 3/4+ day trip here and there. I fish too (mostly Tenkara or LRF when travelling light) and would like to take a very small fishing kit, and my camping gear is also small and lightweight as I have done this for many years before my interest in bikepacking.

My missus loves MTB-ing and showed interest but doesn't like camping, particularly in poor weather. When I'm out with her I'd be doing easier singletrack routes and staying in hotels or chalets etc. and plan on a week-long easygoing road tour of Belgium and the Netherlands during summer next year.

I currently have a 45 minute walk to work that I would like to commute via bike in all seasons, so the bike would need to be up to this also. I love looking after and maintaining things so a regular clean and service doesn't bother me if the bike needs it. I will however only be happy to do this for one bike, so having one for each need is not an option.

In short my bike must be able to:

- Be comfortable and responsive on techy singletrack over fairly long distances
- Handle a regular road commute in all weathers and the odd cycle tour holiday

Ultimately the bike is a tool that joins up my love of camping, fishing, exploring and seeing the wilderness, but also must be fun in it's own right. By aiming for next year I have opened myself up to saving for a bike rather than finance. My budget is £1800 for the bike alone but half that is more realistic (and preferred!).

With all my research and planning, I have narrowed my preferred criteria, in no order, to the following:

- Preferred: full suspension / 2nd choice: hardtail with front shock
- Preferred: 27.5+ wheels / 2nd choice: 27.5 wheels
- Preferred: Dropper post / 2nd choice: fixed seatpost
- Preffered: 1x chainset / 2nd choice: 2x chainset
- Must have: Straight, riser or bullhorn bars, no drop bars
- I buy new and keep new; no second hand bikes

So basically it's been a game of 'See What Matches Best', which is easier said than done. Tredz had a Specialized Fuse Comp 6Fattie (No full sus but dropper, 27.5+ and 1x) for £800 but unfortunately they only have large sizes left when I usually take a small. The current cheapest price for this is now £1000. The Norco Fluid HT+ 7.2 has the same options and similar spec for £1000 and has won group tests on some magazines, but I prefer the geometry and look of the Specialized.

My issue is that this now encroaches upon bikepacking-specific ride pricing. I contacted a Salsa dealer in the UK last week and they informed me that they can pre-order a Salsa Timberjack GX1 (No dropper or full sus, but 27.5+ and 1x, plus bikepacking-spec frame and trail geometry) ready for November for £1200. While this seems to tick fewer boxes it is my current favourite.

If I'm dead set on a full sus, I'm limited to non-plus bikes - the most attractive option to my eyes likely being a Canyon Spectral AL 5.0 EX for £1800, which has a fairly reserved rear shock and I think could accommodate all my gear.

I've also looked at gravel and adventure touring bikes (Trek 920 for £1500 etc.) but I don't like drop bars and I'm not sure a rigid frame is what I'm after. Some of you might claim otherwise?

My last option is to wait, save my money and see what 2018 models come out before Christmas, potentially cutting costs on a 2017 bike or seeing a new release that ticks more, or all, of my boxes. Doing this will potentially ruin my chances of claiming a Timberjack without placing a pre-order and deposit but might be worth it.

I appreciate your time for reading this and any help, advice or thoughts would be really appreciated, experienced voices will go a seriously long way in helping me make my decision here.

Can you think of any bikes I've missed? What would you pick if you were in my shoes?
thenorthwind

Re: Beginner one-bike-does-all options?

Post by thenorthwind »

Your ultimate budget is quite generous (though I understand you don't want to max it out for the sake of it). I would imagine the best thing to do would be not to get too hung up on getting a single package that fits all your requirements; find a build with the frame you want (full-sus with clearance for 27.5+) and be prepared to add/swap out bits. It won't be the cheapest way of doing it - you might have to buy new parts and sell the original bits - but it'll get you the build you want without compromising (which sounds like it'd be worth the extra cost to you), and it'd be cheaper than a full custom build.
cloudnine

Post by cloudnine »

Buy a nice trail bike.
Also buy a cheap commuter bike that won't matter if it gets neglected with cheap replacement parts.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My own thinking is, full suspension and plus aren't the best stable mates as one partly negates the need for the other. If you've not ridden a plus bike before, you might be pleasantly surprised by what they're capable of ... even fully rigid.

It's a shame that Salsa are now as expensive as they are ... a Pony Rustler could have fitted the brief perfectly.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

How tall are you?
How long will your trips be?

It's difficult to escape the fact that wheel size and suspension options can limit your luggage carrying ability; shocks in frames take up space in the main triangle, tall tyres (and suspension movement) limit bag size on bars and below the saddle. Dropper seatpost can be damaged by bag straps and again restrict carrying capacity.

Of course, you can overcome some of these restrictions if you're happy to ride with a large backpack. Most folk find that tiring and uncomfortable but it can work for shorter trips.
Chew

Post by Chew »

If you have a reasonable amount of common sense, it's easy enough to build up your own bike to get the spec you want, for around £1200

My thoughts:
To get everything on your A list you'll be pushing your £1800 budget.
Wouldn't bother with full suspension as that will push up your budget.
Plus tyres are great if you run ridgid, but they wouldn't be my choice for long multi day trips. Think about a frame that's compact table with both wheel sets.
I'd be wary of any bike that has a low front end like the Specialized. Something upright would be more comfortable.

If it was me I'd be looking at 29er hardtails
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

compact table
Like this?

Chew

Post by Chew »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
compact table
Like this?
Well you can fit any size wheels on there you like :shock:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Chew wrote:If it was me I'd be looking at 29er hardtails
I'm with Chew on this :cool:
ootini

Post by ootini »

Salsa bucksaw?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Salsa bucksaw?
It's a fat bike and even the base model would blow the budget twice over.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Salsa bucksaw?
It's a fat bike and even the base model would blow the budget twice over.
Hmmm maybe im getting the model name mixed up.
FLV

Post by FLV »

For that budget you could get a nice hardtail with 29er wheels and a spare set of 27+ wheels to plug in when you fancy.

New sonder frontier springs to mind.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

+1 for the Sonder Frontier looks a decent bike for the money.

Richpips might have an opinion on it given recent exploits.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My test Frontier is sat here awaiting the carrier. Rigid, 29er with nice 30mm rims to make the most of the 2.4" tyres ... proper review soon but all in all, it worked very well.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

FLV wrote:For that budget you could get a nice hardtail with 29er wheels and a spare set of 27+ wheels to plug in when you fancy.

New sonder frontier springs to mind.
My exact thoughts. So much more versatility. Barely heard a bad word about the Sonder yet.
atk

Post by atk »

To balance the positive comments, the front end looks pretty ugly in the photos, especially around the headtube/fork crown.

Although I guess it's less offensive than puking gnome forks...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The only thing putting me off the Frontier is that rather strange hub/axle. AFAIK only Marin are using it?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The only thing putting me off the Frontier is that rather strange hub/axle. AFAIK only Marin are using it?
It's 141mm on the back, is that not just the standard boost spacing for 9mm QR and 148mm for through-axle?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

141mm is QR Boost. Marin introduced it. I don't think anyone else has picked it up yet? Certainly limits hub options.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's only 3.5mm either side :wink:

Zen

Post by Zen »

Thanks everyone for the replies, definitely some food for thought there. I spent last night doing some research and I have to admit, when I looked long and hard at it I had to face a few facts, namely that the bike will be used for commuting and road work primarily with the occasional bout of off-roading.

Taking into account everyone's recommendations and thoughts I've turned my attentions to more 'all round' adventure touring rigid 29-ers, with my two current favourites being the Sonder Frontier and the Genesis Vagabond. Cracking value for money on both parts and real workhorse, go-anywhere bikes from what I've read. I'd even consider drop bars as on the Vagabond as I could run cross levers with the mech disc brakes - this gives me the advantages of a flat bar chunky 29-er for off-road bikepacking and trails, and the comfortable drop bar position for the rare touring holiday and my unavoidable routine commute. I even like the bar end shifters and more robust frame, I never expected to be looking at bikes like this yesterday!

Thanks again for the continued advice, it's genuinely appreciated.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Riding on the tops with cross levers is only any use for pootling back from the pub, the position is so narrow (I'd take them off and throw them in the bin). Anything technical off road you want to be in the drops and the hoods is a nice comfy position.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Riding on the tops with cross levers is only any use for pootling back from the pub, the position is so narrow (I'd take them off and throw them in the bin). Anything technical off road you want to be in the drops and the hoods is a nice comfy position.
I'm with Shawn here. Descending on the drops will afford much more control.
Zen

Post by Zen »

Ah I failed to notice just how close to the stem the levers are, it actually looks quite lairy now you both mention it.