Fuel for the bb200

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Fuel for the bb200

Post by Mike »

Right I just thought I'd see what fuel folk use to keep the pistons running over 24hrs especially the racers out there? I need Ideas of what to put in my system to keep my going... What's works for you?
Mark E

Re: Fuel for the bb200

Post by Mark E »

I wouldn't classify myself as a racer, but I find that after 6 hours or so I can't stomach much more sweet food. I therefore tend to carry normal food on longer rides-samosas, sandwiches, sausage rolls etc. I mix these with peanut m and ms, dried bananas and chocolate as a moral booster. I tend to avoid gels as I find they upset my stomach. Eating little but often seems to work well for me.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Mike, it's not necessarily what food, but how often and whether it agrees with you.

I tend to take a mixture of energy bars, malt loaf, jam sandwiches, cranberries/raisins, nutrigrain bars. Basically stuff that is easy to eat, and energy rich. Eating something every hour seems to work for me (so over 24 hours, that can look like a lot of food) - feeling hungry is a big no-no for me so things like the sandwiches work to fill my stomach as well as provide energy.

You could probably survive on gels, but the hunger would cause me a problem, and it might end up messy.... :|
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Cheese......... and a bit of chocolate and a couple of Torq recovery powders for me.

https://twitter.com/conway_sean/status/ ... 6943431680
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Pepperamis! :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

Steve, I know what u mean about getting hungry I'm the king at getting hungry. And when i hungry I get grumpy so eating small amounts regularly sounds like a plan just need to get the right things in me. Looks like a trip to sainsburys is on the cards wed or Thurs :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

spiced fruit muffins from Sainsbury
cheese teacakes (sounds odd, very tasty)
cheese and tomato rolls (use chilli oil rather than spread)
various granola bars (the fresh ones from the bakery section)
probably have rocket fuel in the water bottles (Hi5 energy /caffeine powder mix)
just water in my camelbak
can't think of much else
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Shell V-Power.

Oh sorry, wrong forum!
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

do we pass a chippy or other type of takeaway?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Zippy does that stuff work :wink: my car definitely seems to run better on it!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mike wrote:Zippy does that stuff work :wink: my car definitely seems to run better on it!
My old Fireblade with carbs loves it. It runs a lot cleaner and does more mpg, I've never been able to tell the difference in a car.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Not gonna start a full blown discussion on here - and what set of benefits you may or may not get from it. But I use it in all my vehicle for different reasons. Read into that what you will. Image
Matt

Post by Matt »

Whatever the person I'm riding with has.

Lightest food i've found :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

FWIW, my diet for 24hr racing and bikepacking couldn't be further from each other.

24hr lapped race - 90g of CHO/hr from gels, fluid, bar form - rare that I stop to eat, or even worry about real food. It's only a day.

Multiday BP race - whatever I get my hands on, but normally crap food interspaced with a meal once every 36hrs or so.

Divide - all bets are off, whatever I saw was eaten.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Mini pork pies always seem to feature for me...

Si
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Hobnob bars covered in chocolate! That mixed with lots of Haribo star mix. I didn't eat past the 12 hour mark on the last one, wasn't hungry after the fish and chips!
burty

Post by burty »

mine will be a few cheese baps, pepperamis .
flapjacks ,torq bars , gels
and hopefully a pizza in knighton
gairym

Post by gairym »

After a fairly epic gastrointestinal 'incident' during the 2015 Etape Du Tour I vowed that never, EVER again would a gel pass my lips.

These days I carry regular Spa-friendly savoury snacks (pasties, sarnies, pork pies etc...) which make up the majority of my calorific intake.

I then supplement this with natural cereal type bars (either home made or bought), jelly sweets (ideally natural fruit based but often haribo) and packets of mixed fruit and nuts.

For liquid I carry only water and then grab a sugary drink if/when I stop somewhere for food.

I'll also usually carry an emergency Red Bull for when things have gone sideways in the middle of the night (I don't drink tea or coffee and so caffeine really affects me).

I'm hoping that someone will be along shortly with info on what supplies there are (and where) on the route as I don't know much about that area covered by this years route.

Feeling good about it though (for some reason), bring it on.....
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Savoury snacks with complex carbs and protein first, sweet simpler sugars later. Jelly babies when nothing else appeals. Some caffeine gels to keep the sleep monster at bay.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Flapjack, cheese rolls, Percy Pigs, maybe a Snickers, possibly a Coke or two and some sort of caffeine boost for the small hours.
tommid

Post by tommid »

Things that are easy to chew as you ride. I found skittles hard to manage while pushing myself and attempting to gain much needed calories.
Honey roasted nuts and soft gummy sweets were more successful. I always have a few gels in case and otherwise high carb foods, pasta etc. When I rode BB I stopped for a lovely lasagna.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've not done the BB200, no immediate plans to change that but maybe one day

Not sure if I'd take anything special for that than I would for a normal trip (including bIkepacking, where I'll just take more)

My trail food is made up of a number of random things
- eat nakd bars
- peanut brittle/sesame snaps
- caramel waffles, these are my favourite things, they're amazing
- snickers
- homemade flapjack
- snack bars - 9bars, flapjack bars, granola bars, sometimes an energy style snack bar (BEET it sport ones are ace)
- peanut M&Ms
- some sort of trail mix, often supplemented with other things or a couple of different packets mixed up
- dark chocolate coconut macaroons
- Reese's something - sugar and peanut butter - mini cups, bit cups, anything really

I keep a box of bars and bits in a kitchen cupboard, and when I'm heading out for a ride I grab a random selection. In fact it's the same food I'd use on a walk/hike
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sandwiches, apples, bananas, flapjacks, cereal bars and a few gels for the really big climbs. Always a pint of milk at shop stops and occasionally coke (the liquid variety :wink: ). I rarely take sweets these days.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I have a selection of gels from a free offer (pineapple and tropical)

they are an acquired taste

I was planning to bring along and leave free issue at sign-up
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

I tend to rotate between sweet and savoury so that I never get sick of one thing, I try and carry all the food I need to see me through the day as well. But usually I pick up something as well from a shop at some point most often a chocolate treat!