New Alpkit Quilts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

New Alpkit Quilts

Post by thenorthwind »

Aplkit have updated their quilt design for the latest batch: https://www.alpkit.com/products/cloud-cover

It's now got ethical, hydrophobic down, possibly with a higher fill power (can't remember the original specs), but is now £99.

I nearly bought one of the older ones but got a sale down bag for a similar price when they were out of stock. I'm not really regretting that now. I know some people weren't really impressed with the finish of these.
ton

Re: New Alpkit Quilts

Post by ton »

is a cumulus or a enlightened one a fair bit better than alpkit stuff?

i am in the market for a quilt
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have no experience of either, but from what I've read, most likely they will be significantly better quality. Hopefully someone give you a more definitive answer.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tony, unless they've changed the size (doesn't look like it) it'll be like sleeping under a hanky for you :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've got one of the earlier batch. At the price it was it was OK. At that price I wouldn't bother. There are better alternatives that will go a bit warmer for a little more money and be better built.

Too small in several dimensions, even for someone averagely sized IMO. Construction was a bit "lightweight" as in some stuff looks or has been reported to be easy to damage e.g. press studs for foot box. Draw chord at head and foot just seems silly. Don't understand why they haven't used a lightweight shockcord.

Saying all that, in a tent in the Lakes during August I slept fine under mine. I just wouldn't buy one for £100.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Ton, I've got a Cumulus quilt and Enlightened Equipment. I'm fairly broad and find that the cumulus one is a bit narrow.
ton

Post by ton »

Tony, unless they've changed the size (doesn't look like it) it'll be like sleeping under a hanky for you :wink:
lol, made me spill my tea that. :lol:
Chew

Post by Chew »

If you want to borrow a Cumulus one Tony you'd be more than welcome?

It's just about right for me, but it'd be far too small for yourself, but may give you some ideas if you go down the custom option.
ton

Post by ton »

cheers Matt. custom it is then.......... :lol:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

If you want custom, have look at the UK Hammocks ones. Matt can do anything custom you want.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I ordered the previous alpkit design and then cancelled the order and paid more for the cumulus after sound advice on here.
Apparently the alpkit had press studs attached to the very thin material which would soon rip, whereas the cumulus has no such designed in weekness. It cost nearly twice the price but I'm very very glad I went for cumulus. It seems cumulus is even more of a no brainer now that alpkit have increased price to £100. I think I paid £140ish for cumulus.
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

I have the cumulus comforter-l500. Absolutely love it. 240 €. The versatility of it is brilliant. I can use it for under quilt in my hammock. Use it for duvet in groundsleeping. I also use it over my yeti sleeping bag at wintertime to "upgrade" my yeti bag. Also easy to take out and use for a warmer when having a stop. Or using at night around the campfire.

I like the length of it (227cm), I have a tendency to sleep on my side and twirl what ever I sleep under around my arms, and then use it for a pillow, leaving my feet cold.

Only problem is I have to price it from my wife's hands, she use it as a blanket in the sofa as well.