Cycle Computers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RobMac

Cycle Computers

Post by RobMac »

Do any of you's still use the old fashion cycle computers?
If so any recommendation for Bikepacking, wired or wireless?
I still use my Garmin but I'd like to leave a C/Computer on my new bike.
whitestone

Re: Cycle Computers

Post by whitestone »

I've a collection.

They are sat on a bookshelf by the stairs. That probably says it all really. They were good in their time but the GPS units have taken over due to their better integration with both on-bike sensors and with post ride social media such as Strava. Strava's the "killer app" as far as road cycling goes, off-road it's more useful as a means of recording rides than discovering them. The last time I used a cyclo-computer for off-road riding was in a Trailquest about ten years ago where it was useful to use in conjunction with a map: "400m to junction, turn left" type stuff.

If you are just wanting to record distance and time of a ride then they'll be fine. My units are all Cateye BTW no experience of any other make.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

I was leaning towards "wireless" in order to keep the bars to fork area clear for bar bags etc. But I've always had wired computers, how reliable are the wireless ones?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

For a wireless cycle computer with extra abilities ('talks' to smartphones if needed), have a look at the Lezyne Super GPS. Really neat, easy to use and very secure, quick release mount. They do less costly mini too.
I think I've got a wireless Cateye you'd be welcome to.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Cateye would still be the main go to brand for bike computers, simple and effective. One of the blue tooth models does get interference from metal bodied, led lights (I think it's more the led than metal)