Mountain bike semi slick

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Mountain bike semi slick

Post by ootini »

I've decided to grab a second set of wheels for my bike so I have a set for off-road bikepacking fun, and a set dedicated to commuting, day trips with the family etc. (another post on this forum somewhere)

Does anyone have any recommendations on 27.5 tyres that would be suitable for let's say 80% tarmac, 10% gravel, 10% maybe a bridle way in good nick once in a blue moon ? I know there are absolute slicks available, but I'd like to be able to ride over gravel, crap on the cycle track without too much of a concern, and also proper slicks on a mountain bike just look really weird.

It seems the 26" riders have a much wider choice available in this category, but I've found these, and quite like the look: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... -prod36216

Is there anything else I should be looking at?
atk

Re: Mountain bike semi slick

Post by atk »

You can ride those surface on a fully slick tyre just fine.

What's your budget and what sort of width are you after?
ootini

Post by ootini »

As far as width goes, I'm not 100% sure, my bike is currently running a 2.34" inch Nobby Nic up front and a 2.35" Rock Razor at the back, I quite like them, so anything between 2-2.35 would be about right I guess.

Again these tyres are only for commuting and pootling about with the family so I'd rather not pay a fortune, let's say up to £30 per end tops?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Marathon Mondials? They come in a 2.0" version that would likely suit your requirements
ootini

Post by ootini »

Cheers guys. Out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with the Schwalbe Hurricanes? The mondials do look to fit the bill, but they seem quite heavy and are £35-£45 according to a quick google search.

Must admit, I do like the look of the Furious Fred, but trying to get hold of them is near impossible. I'm not even sure they ever came in 27.5"
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

For commuting I prefer a "robust" tyre. :-)
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

What bike is it and have you already bought the wheels? If not, you might think about getting a set of 700c/29" rims as these will probably fit in a 27.5 frame and fork with 35/40mm tyres. Gives you a lot of options for touring or commuting tyres then.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Big Apples 2.3 and with protection?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ootini

Post by ootini »

The bike is a KTM Ultrafire 27.5. I've not bought the wheels yet, here is the thread from yesterday where Pyro gave me a lot of very useful advice and information: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=7&t=8398
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Have a look on NextDayTyres - http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/search.aspx/MTB-650B

Looks like a few possibilities as a commute tyre:
Continental Tour Ride
Schwalbe Hurricane, Landcruiser, Marathon - various versions, Mondial/Cross/Plus
Vittoria Revolution Gplus
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
ootini

Post by ootini »

Perfick. Cheers
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Mariner wrote:Big Apples 2.3 and with protection?
This, but I think it's Big Ben for the 27.5.

I use the 29x2 Big Apple with kevlar and never had a problem. Never had a puncture in nearly 2000 miles either. The grip's spot-on off road.