Wheels, hub sizes etc...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Wheels, hub sizes etc...

Post by ootini »

Hi,

I'm after a second set of wheels for use with my KTM Ultrafire 650b hardtail. Basically I want a second set of wheels wearing something more tarmac / hard pack friendly, the only problem with this wonderful idea is that I have no idea what size / fitting / width wheels I need. It's this bike here: http://www.fast-webshop.com/ktm-bikes/e ... re-27-2014 and on that page, it states the following:

Wheelset KTM Line 27.5" Ryde/RM66
Rim Ryde Taurus 21 27.5"
Hub F Shimano RM66-CL
Hub R Shimano RM66-CL

Can anyone tell me of any budget wheel sets that would be suitable replacements for the above wheels? Both front and rear wheels on my bike have quick release skewers by the way.

I don't want anything fancy, it's mostly for commuting purposes. I've seen some wheel sets around the £130-£150 mark but have no idea which variants would suit my bike.
Pyro

Re: Wheels, hub sizes etc...

Post by Pyro »

Essentially, anything that's 27.5" (or 650b to use the road terminology) and QR axled will work.

Were I looking at spending your money, I'd use the stock wheels on the bike as my commute wheels, and buy a nice reduced set of Shimano XT one for 'best'/MTB use - they're reduced significantly at Merlin at the moment (https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-xt ... 94650.html) - Those are a 15mm front hub, but you can get a Mavic push-in adapter end cap to reduce them to run 9mm QR (https://www.evanscycles.com/mavic-pre-2 ... r-EV223514)

I'm running the XT 785s on my race 29er, and they're really nice wheels - light, easy to maintain and look pretty shiny too. They're also tubeless ready if you ever intend to go that way.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
ootini

Post by ootini »

Pyro wrote:Essentially, anything that's 27.5" (or 650b to use the road terminology) and QR axled will work.

Were I looking at spending your money, I'd use the stock wheels on the bike as my commute wheels, and buy a nice reduced set of Shimano XT one for 'best'/MTB use - they're reduced significantly at Merlin at the moment (https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-xt ... 94650.html) - Those are a 15mm front hub, but you can get a Mavic push-in adapter end cap to reduce them to run 9mm QR (https://www.evanscycles.com/mavic-pre-2 ... r-EV223514)

I'm running the XT 785s on my race 29er, and they're really nice wheels - light, easy to maintain and look pretty shiny too. They're also tubeless ready if you ever intend to go that way.

Cheers for that. I notice those Shimano XT wheels are listed as "centre lock", is that in regards to the brake disc rotor?

Sorry to ask another silly question, but I'm assuming I'd need to buy the wheel set, a pair of the 9mm QR adaptors you listed, a 10 speed freehub and the appropriate 10 speed cassette, and a pair of appropriately sized brake rotors? That sound right?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Yeah, Centerlock is the way the rotors attach - a toothed fitting and a lockring as opposed to the 6-bolt fitting other wheels have.

Freehub is already there on the wheelset, so it would be the wheels, adapter, rotors, cassette and a second quick release if you don't have one. If you go that way, I can happily post you the spare QR, and I'm sure a wanted ad on here might chuck up a set of rotors to help you keep the costs down.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Pyro wrote:Yeah, Centerlock is the way the rotors attach - a toothed fitting and a lockring as opposed to the 6-bolt fitting other wheels have.

Freehub is already there on the wheelset, so it would be the wheels, adapter, rotors, cassette and a second quick release if you don't have one. If you go that way, I can happily post you the spare QR, and I'm sure a wanted ad on here might chuck up a set of rotors to help you keep the costs down.

Thanks, I really appreciate the offer (and info).

So here's a shopping list, can anyone see anything glaringly incorrect or amiss?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Wheels - check
Adapter - check (just the one needed, rear is QR already)
Rotors - check
Cassette - check
Skewers - think mine came with a skewer for the rear, but that set would work just fine. Hence the offer to post you a front one if you need it, I know I've got a spare knocking about you're more than welcome to.

That should be it otherwise.