FS Budnitz MTB (built specifically for bikepacking)

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Catbaiter

FS Budnitz MTB (built specifically for bikepacking)

Post by Catbaiter »

Hi,

I've just finished building up a really interesting MTB, which I've been putting together on the basis of things like the HT550 and the Tour Divide.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B05GvF ... sp=sharing

It's a practically unused black 650b (27.5) steel Budnitz mtb (large) frame and fork (custom drawn 4130 cro-mo). Which is broadly similar to a Jones bike, in that the frame is 'sprung' and behaves quite differently to most rigid mtbs. It's noticeably far more forgiving than the other steel bikes I've ridden and owned.

It's running with conventional 1x10 gears, but can take a Gates Carbon Belt Drive (split seat stay) and/or a hub gear (ie Rohloff). It also has a an EBB and internal routing for cables in the downtube. It's finished with the following components:

* Deore XT wheelset (tubeless ready) - New
* Schwalbe Thunder Burt tyres F&R - New
* 10spd XT cassette, rear mech and shifter (rear only) - New
* FSA Afterburner cranks (2 chain rings) - Used, but in excellent condition
* Bushnell Featherweight EBB - New
* Deore SLX disc brakes (Icetech) and discs - New
* Thomson Elite seat post - New
* Jones (steel) loop bars (the wide ones) - New

It does not come with the Brooks saddle shown, but you can have the Shimano touring pedals if you want (they were only put on to try it out). Also, when I say things are 'new' I mean they've done only the mileage needed to tweak and test the bike (<15mls). It's all in very very good condition.

The bikes fits me very well, and I'm 5' 11". I'd say it has scope for a couple of inches either way.

The bike is light (for a steel bike) and goes very rapidly on both dirt and tarmac. The frame has mounts for F&R racks and F&R guards. I haven't added a front mech and shifter, as on the very rare occasions it would be needed, I've figured I'd just switch it down by hand (this is what a friend did for 8 days in Iceland and it was never an issue, so I just copied him!). However it's not hard to add one and I have the XT shifter which I'll throw in with the sale. I also haven't routed the rear brake internally (as it still needs cutting down), so it's simply taped to the frame at the moment.

Basically I've run out of time, and other projects have taken over my life. So this thing will just gather dust in my garage. Which seems like a hell of a shame.

I'm looking for £1,100 ono ex postage.

I'd prefer collection, and can drop off in the Stroud or Bristol area if needed. Postage would be, I guess, about £25, but I'll only charge what it costs. UK only please. Drop me a line for questions or more pictures. Cheers, Tom
Catbaiter

Re: FS Budnitz MTB (built specifically for bikepacking)

Post by Catbaiter »

This is going well!

Any offers?
tommid

Post by tommid »

I'll give you £250.

Or if you split I'd be interested in the brakes and the seat post if its a 27.2.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

:grin: I guess I asked for that.

No intention to split it just yet. But thanks for the offer.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Couple more photos:

upload image