First Frame pack, first sewing project.. what could go wrong

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

wfbroddy

First Frame pack, first sewing project.. what could go wrong

Post by wfbroddy »

Folks,

Following on from my "what weight of material for a frame bag" thread I thought I'd start a new thread progress my wee project, so here goes.....

I went with 500D Cordura material off Ebay, which has a nice thick robust feel about it,

The plan is to have a full length Velcro fixing along the top tube and either a full length or 2 separate Velcro straps along the short section on the down tube, I feel this should be enough to stop the bag swinging out of position and hitting my legs.

Made the template up for the ECR, had a few ideas in my head but thought I'd try a day pack sort of thing instead of a full on frame bag,

ImageDSC_0069 by Rod K, on Flickr

Pinned 2 sheet together and marked round the template giving 10mm extra along the edge for the hem

ImageDSC_0073 by Rod K, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0075 by Rod K, on Flickr

trimmed off the excess, and found my first goof, I put the 2 sheets the same orientation, so ended up with 2 left hand sides...Doh!

ImageDSC_0076 by Rod K, on Flickr

So quickly cut out another side with the correct orientation this time

ImageDSC_0077 by Rod K, on Flickr

The central section will be a continuous length of material, about 70mm wide in total (50mm + 10mm either side for hem). I'm pondering whether to flare out the front a wee bit to give a touch more room, but I might just be making things more complicated than need be.

the zip (salvaged from an old mo'bike jacket so nice and hefty) will be covered with a flap to help keep water/ muck etc.. out of the bag

Using the scraps I did a test run of stitching 4 sheets together and stitching a test curve, all went well....

hopefully during the week I can time to stitch things together
wfbroddy

Re: First Frame pack, first sewing project.. what could go w

Post by wfbroddy »

update..

Started putting the zip in, and after a few false starts and copious amount of swearing, I finally got it in, not pretty by any means by seems secure

ImageDSC_0078 by Rod K, on Flickr

Then came the flap to cover the zip, a bit better, but improving

ImageDSC_0079 by Rod K, on Flickr

I've cut out the central section that will join both half's together and I flared it out a bit at the front, but this might change as I just realised I was going to put the down tube fixing point here...Doh!

next steps will be the top tube fixing straps, then joining the 2 sides together

Just for the record, hats off to one and all to have done this sort of MYOG project, sewing/ stitching is a lot harder than I expected it to be :oops: :oops:

cheers Roddy
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

Update ... getting there

The body of the bag is done.

ImageDSC_0080 by Rod K, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0081 by Rod K, on Flickr

Its certainly not neat but I've learnt a lot doing this, been enjoying myself

I'll make up the straps next and get them stitched to the body of the bag
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Not too shabby :-bd

Its always a learning curve with sewing, and usually takes 3-4 alterations before you get it perfect, this is normal and part if the learning.

Something I learnt is how dimensions can change, if you forget to take it into account, after sewing the hem and popping right side out it can end up smaller than planned. At the same time certain bags can bulge more than you think. So again, props to you for your first try :-bd

How do you plan to add the straps after already sewn the body together?
Its quite common to sew into the seams whilst putting it all together, but I tend to prefer sewing a webbing 'ladder' around the outside edge (like alpkit) as its easier and more modular.

Either way, keep us update and well done :grin:
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

HaYWiRe wrote:Not too shabby :-bd ....
Cheers for that :grin:
HaYWiRe wrote:.....How do you plan to add the straps after already sewn the body together?
Its quite common to sew into the seams whilst putting it all together, but I tend to prefer sewing a webbing 'ladder' around the outside edge (like alpkit) as its easier and more modular....
The original plan was to do as you suggested and sew the straps into the seams, but since it was an awkward shape for my first attempt, as I plan to have a length of material that will run the length of the top tube and a shorter section for the downtube, its overkill for the size of the bag but its a look I like (shallow, I know but what can I say..), I thought today I'd make that up as a separate patch and stitch this to the top and front edge of the bag, using the large opening to work through, if all else fails then it can always be hand stitched.

When I make the full triangle type bag I plan to do the webbing strap idea.

as you say 3-4 alterations will get it to a good place....

cheers Roddy
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

its done WooHoo!!

I made the flaps a bit long (on purpose honest )

ImageDSC_0085 by Rod K, on Flickr

But I did trim them down a bit except for the top tube as I used one side to be able to wrap round the top tube so there is material under the top tube so it added extra protection as there is line fittings under there.

ImageDSC_0089 by Rod K, on Flickr

An in action, I'm satisfied with the result but know I can do better, but its rock solid with little movement. :grin:

ImageDSC_0091 by Rod K, on Flickr

I added a bit of flare to front but its hard to see due to my sewing skills :o)

ImageDSC_0091 by Rod K, on Flickr

I added a touch of velcro to that seat tube so the end of the pack didnt swing about

ImageDSC_0093 by Rod K, on Flickr

Overall its solid and doesn't move much and when it did a simple knock put it back in position, I just need to lower the water bottle mount a touch to allow easier access to the bottle otherwise happy lad

Again I will say anybody who does this either as a project or a profession hats off to you, as this was more complex than expected and the level of skill needed to work the machine was also surprising.

so hats off to one and all.

cheers Roddy
Mart

Post by Mart »

A Bottle holder that allows side access helps - I use these ones

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... t-EV200585
2924 miles per Gallon
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

Mart wrote:A Bottle holder that allows side access helps - I use these ones

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... t-EV200585
Nice one, I was looking at using the old wire cage style as they flex a bit more but that looks perfect and it looks like it'll allow a bit of movement in the fitting of the cage as well :-bd