Lammermuirs.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Lammermuirs.

Post by Ray Young »

Managed to get a quick overnighter out in the Lammermuirs Hills. I didn't set off till 5pm and the only plan was to use the most direct route into the hills from mine which took me through an army firing range. I had read somewhere of a walker who has gone through it loads and never found it to be in use and this turned out to be the case for me, no red flags flying so straight through. The setting sun found me near Bunnies Bothy so I headed there for the night and had the place to myself. Got a bit chilly so made use of some of the wood for a fire whilst I ate and had a wee dram. No rush in the morning and eventually set off at 11. I returned the way I came and suffered a puncture that wouldn't seal so used one of those gummy worms things which worked a treat. I had a tail wind most of the way back so made quick time. The repair to the Inbred frame that Steven Shand did for me wasn't noticeable so I'm well pleased.
wfbroddy

Re: Lammermuirs.

Post by wfbroddy »

always fancied a days riding in the lammermuirs, any good sites for routes.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

wfbroddy wrote:always fancied a days riding in the lammermuirs, any good sites for routes.
Although the Lammermuirs is pretty close to me I have not actually ridden there much because on maps most of the access appears to be estate access roads and the riding I have done there lately seems to bear this out. The only single track I have ridden is Sparleton Edge over by Whiteadder reservoir but that was many years ago so can't really remember what it was like. On the maps it looks as though you could put a decent length single track route together using the SUW, Longformacus, Sparleton Edge and Monynut Edge. As I live on the west side of the hills and that is the east side I would have to make up a two or three day route to cover it as I rarely have access to the car. I could always get the train to Dunbar I suppose and ride back though. The hills themselves tend to be of an equal height with lots of valleys. Pretty enough too but there is a huge pylon line running through them and a few wind farms. Don't know of any sites for routes.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

wfbroddy wrote:always fancied a days riding in the lammermuirs, any good sites for routes.
If coastkid is a member on here (Bruce) then he'd definitely know as he's ridden up there a fair bit.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

AlasdairMc wrote:
If coastkid is a member on here (Bruce) then he'd definitely know as he's ridden up there a fair bit.
I have read his stuff but couldn't remember his name so nice one Alasdair.

http://coastkid.blogspot.co.uk
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

Aye I had forgotten about Coastkids blog, cheers for the heads up