Primaloft jackets and gilets

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

Primaloft jackets and gilets

Post by Charliecres »

Thinking of getting a Primaloft gilet or jacket for those chilly but wet trips.

I know people rate the Montane Prism but what else is good?

And does anyone have experience of the Endura Flipjack or the stuff from Skogstad?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Primaloft jackets and gilets

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a Rab Generator smock that's years old but still works very well ... not available anymore but the Xenon is similar and has a hood.

I know jameso has a Flipjack gilet and seems to like it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I've got an arcteryx atom that is probably one of my most worn jackets. not sure I'd pay full whack for it but you can pretty much always find arcteryx on discount somewhere. Not whether anyone ever actually pays the ludicrous RRP's
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thanks, I'll take a look at those two?
Apart from weight, is all Primaloft equal?
atk

Post by atk »

I pretty much live in my Nano Puff hoodie 9 months of the year... the fit is quite boxy but they can be found cheap, are warm and the company has a pretty good ethical/environmental approach...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Apart from weight, is all Primaloft equal?
No, there are different types but our our purposes - yes. :wink:

I'd also say, make sure whatever you buy has a windproof outer (Pertex or similar) as it'll make a big difference to how warm the jacket feels.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yes, the Flipjack looks good but isn't windproof.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Recommend a Primaloft gillet highly.

One of the pieces of kit which always comes out on a winter trip. Either an extra layer for cold nights, or to wear whilst riding on cold mornings.
atk

Post by atk »

On the topic of being windproof - if you're planning using it for moderate to spirited riding and "run warm" it might be worth looking at something made of Polartec (or something like Patagonia's Nano Air range), these aren't usually windproof but they are warm and "breathe" a lot better than Primaloft, so you don't end up a sweaty mess.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Still use my 12 year old Patagonia Puffball gilet (pre Nano Puff/ Air generations) for riding most of the autumn/winter. One of my most used pieces of kit - Pack size is about the same as a modern Nanopuff jacket though! But the NP gilet packs really small.

Oddly, having a Nanoair gilet too, I don't use it for riding (bar is being quite yellow) the lack of a windproof face fabric makes it less versatile in some ways. But, I've used it running when I'm sweating hard but it's really cold out, and it'll clear that moisture much faster than the Primaloft one. But, I do use the nanoair jacket on some trips... yes I have a lot of Patagonia kit. Yes I bought it myself. No I can't go to the pub as I'm broke from buying nice things.

Point is, yes, get one :)
jameso

Post by jameso »

The flipjack is great but notably warmer than the prism. In conditions where the prism is comfortable the flipjack can get too warm. I do carry these things to stave off a proper wet chill so I'm a fan of the flipjack, the prism has become marginal after a number of wet road hours in the rain but the flipjack can be a bit too warm when you want to wear it as a high-vis in normal weather.

I'd say both are windproof enough, imo. Some wind coming through the flipjack helps to stop it getting too warm ime, you won't get a windchill anyway and if it's wet/cold it's better used with a 'proof - over or under works for me.

The other thing about the prism vs the flipjack is the fit, the flipjack is slimmer with closer-fitting sleeve elastic. The prism is designed almost like a belay layer, a bit roomier, not really a bike cut. Weight-wise they feel very similar.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thanks all, lots to think about there
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've got a Montane fireball smock. Really light and really warm. Lives in my pack year-round and comes on every trip. Brilliant piece of kit.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've an inov8 thermoshell 240 smock which works well. One of my most frequently carried and used items all year round
jameso

Post by jameso »

Hint. Email PHD and ask them about lightweight primaloft bike clothing. They might make them in the end : )
atk

Post by atk »

I remembered I've got a hardly-used Rab Ether X jacket too. It's a slimmer cut (although a little longer) and considerably more windproof than the Nano Puff to keep it nice and warm. It's also super orange and only weights 210g... It was a bit pricey and is semi see-through though. I should probably wear that more.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Wiggle have the Fireball jacket for £66, which seems like too good a bargain to miss.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I have one of the cheap Go Outdoor own brand primaloft gilet. It's actually pretty good for my needs (cool evenings but not cold enough for down) but I have no other primaloft stuff to compare it against. Not sure how windproof it is but I just stick my RAB windshirt over the top if need be.

My g/f has a patagonia nano puff which she got cheap in a sale and rates it for warmth. Decent pack size too.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Plumped for the Fireball. I'm after something not too warm and plenty versatile and it seems like it should do the job.