[Not the] EWE

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chris n

[Not the] EWE

Post by chris n »

More like the We. Got a week off in July, so will be riding part of Aidan's EWE route: start from Chepstow, up into the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons to Llanwrtyd then into Rhayader (the EWE goes past Claerwen to Hafod, Nant Syddion and Nant-yr-Arian but I'm heading further east to get cleaned up at my parents' house). Follow the Wye Valley to Llangurig then W to Nant y Moch and pick up the official EWE route for a bit, missing the long drop + climb into and out of Mach. Wiggle around until I get to the Kerry Ridgeway, cross the Long Mynd (via Pole Bank and Minton Batch rather than the EWE) then across to Cannock and home.

Route overview by cnarborough, on Flickr

360-ish miles planned, some vague ideas about where to stop and 5 days to see how far I get. This time I'll be taking more than one brake. :D
Taylor

Re: [Not the] EWE

Post by Taylor »

Think all that extra weight.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Thats a tough ride for sure.
I have similar not the EWE plans myself. Having had to cancel plans to do the real thing, I can't resist the chance to check out some of it at a comfortable distance per day pace.
Friends are racing at the 24-12 in Plympton so the lift down is easy.
Then I've got as long as I want to jump on the Dartmoor Exmoor section and head on upto the Bristol area.
From there connect up with the Avon canal, and then pick up the Ridgeway and head for Milton Keynes and home. About 460 miles so far.
Is there a team relay class, who can do the rest :-)

So I know it's pretty boring terrain (probably just what I'll need by then) but can't anyone confirm that it's ok to ride on the Avon canal from Bath going East.
Cheers.
The old git in the yellow socks
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Fantasticmrmatt rode along there from Reading to Bristol last summer so he's the best man to ask.
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

From wikipedia; "Cycling is permitted along the canal towpath except for a 656 yards (600 m) section near Woolhampton. Some sections of the canal towpath have been improved and widened to make them more suitable for cyclists and disabled users."
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Are you planing on some gears for this Chris, or going SS with the old 24" as backup?

Looks like a good week. I'd be pestering you to join in if I wasn't lapping 24/12 or working in July.
chris n

Post by chris n »

I never planned to race the EWE anyway - I'm definitely a tourist, not a racer.
numplumz wrote:Thats a tough ride for sure.
I hope it's not that hard! I'll be leaving Chepstow at lunchtime on day 1, then hopefully stopping somewhere in the Black Mountains for the first night. Night 2 will be between Llanwrtyd and the Elan Valley, night 3 near Carno and night 4 near the Long Mynd. I might have to cut short the to-ing and fro-ing around Cannock depending on how I'm doing.
Dyffers wrote:Are you planing on some gears for this Chris, or going SS with the old 24" as backup?
SS on the Inbred, but I've got it setup as a dinglespeed (32/20 + 34/18) now, in case I've got long road sections to do. Will be dropping a resupply bag off in Rhayader next week with fuel, clean clothes and batteries so I can travel a bit lighter than a pure 5 day ride.
Ian

Post by Ian »

The Black Mountains/ Beacons section doesn't pull any punches. Nice trails though - you'll enjoy it, I'm sure.
j.c.gillies

Post by j.c.gillies »

Nice looking route Chris, one I'd like to ride myself. Let us know how it goes :)
"After hardship comes ease" -Real name James
chris n

Post by chris n »

Bike and bags all packed, got my tickets to Chepstow for tomorrow morning. Forecast looks ok-ish so should be a good week out.
Dusza

Post by Dusza »

Godspeed Chris. I hope you'll bring back some photos with you :)
chris n

Post by chris n »

Everything started well, heading out from Chepstow station at lunchtime on Monday. Surprisingly hilly until Usk where I followed the River valley and then the Sustrans route to Abergavenny.

Clytha Park gates by cnarborough, on Flickr

Into the Beacons by cnarborough, on Flickr

The weather improved as I headed west but the going got harder as I approached the edge of the Brecon Beacons.

What's down there? by cnarborough, on Flickr

Mynydd Du Forest by cnarborough, on Flickr

Popping out of the woods at the top of Mynydd Du forest was great:
Rolling by cnarborough, on Flickr

Found a good spot for the night on the edge of the Beacons, though the weather started closing in just after I pitched up.
Grwyne Fechan by cnarborough, on Flickr

Grwyne Fechan by cnarborough, on Flickr

Hard slog the next morning up to the top of Mynydd Llysiau, but a fun descent the other side.
Edge of the Black Mountains by cnarborough, on Flickr

The planned route was around Llangorse Lake, but my chain (bodged together from leftovers) was really starting to complain so I dropped straight into Brecon for a replacement. A wet, windy afternoon on the Sarn Helen road wasn't much fun, but the trails through Halfway forest and on to Llanwrtyd were much easier going.

Llanwrtyd Wells by cnarborough, on Flickr

I took the easy road route round to Abergwesyn then up through the trails at Trallwm and a very boggy push over the top to Claerwen.

Almost sunny by cnarborough, on Flickr

Carnau by cnarborough, on Flickr

Claerwen Valley by cnarborough, on Flickr

Elan Valley by cnarborough, on Flickr

Stopped at my parents house for the night, but the wind was picking up so decided not to bother with the leg out to Machynlleth and went straight to the Kerry Ridgeway via Bwlch y Sarnau.

Loaded Inbred by cnarborough, on Flickr

Kerry Ridgeway by cnarborough, on Flickr

Bishop's Castle by cnarborough, on Flickr

The Ridgeway was great: sunny, flat, dry and with a tailwind all the way to Bishop's Castle for a couple of pints in the Three Tuns.

Three Tuns 1642 by cnarborough, on Flickr

Slogged up to Pole Bank via Bridges then down Minton Batch. Lovely descent, but there was so much water flowing down the trail I found it hard going.

Long Mynd by cnarborough, on Flickr

Stopped the night in a basic campsite at Little Hamperley where I decided I couldn't be arsed to ride all the way home so after a nice lie-in I went for a lazy lunch in Church Stretton and caught the train home.

Little Hamperley by cnarborough, on Flickr

200 miles in 4 days, rode some good trails and 2 nights out in the bivvy. Not too shabby.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nice one Chris. Trails are pretty tough round here just now too.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Looks like a great trip, nice to just vary to route depending on what u fancied at the time. I often find myself trying to stick to one original plan whereas in actual fact more fun can be had by just seeing where the mood takes you.

Cheers for all the pictures.

Tarp and bivvybag?
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Looks like a great trip! I don't know the Welsh Border hils well but they look great.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
chris n

Post by chris n »

Anthony wrote:Looks like a great trip, nice to just vary to route depending on what u fancied at the time. I often find myself trying to stick to one original plan whereas in actual fact more fun can be had by just seeing where the mood takes you.
Yep, it's nice to have the flexibility to reorganize the route when needed. Once I'd decided that I was better off touring than trying to complete the planned route I had a much better time. That and the route that Ian had suggested to Aidan was really tough - once I got out of the Beacons, I felt a lot better. :D
Anthony wrote:Tarp and bivvybag?
Yep. bicycle + Hunka.
99percentchimp wrote:Looks like a great trip! I don't know the Welsh Border hils well but they look great.
They're great. Quiet, not too hilly with plenty of open space and forestry for bivvying and seem to have lots of bridleways and byways. The area between the Beacons and Snowdonia is great for MTBing, I reckon.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Sounds like a great trip was had. Can i ask what bars are you using and which GPS unit do u use please. I use a memory map unit which is great but the battery has to be charged everyday which is a pain.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Yetiman wrote:Sounds like a great trip was had. Can i ask what bars are you using and which GPS unit do u use please. I use a memory map unit which is great but the battery has to be charged everyday which is a pain.
Bars are Titec J bars - cheap(ish) versions of a Jones swept handlebar. GPS is a Garmin Etrex 30 - will last for 36 hours + on a set of Lithium AAs, and 24 hours + on 2500 mAh rechargeables.
Mike

Post by Mike »

cheers chris, do u also use the 1:50 maps and do u find them to be enough, i only ask as i use mm at mo but considering selling and buying etrex 20 or 30 with full 1:50 GB maps
chris n

Post by chris n »

I plan the route on the 1:50k maps (either with Route Buddy or Bikehike.co.uk) then transfer a track to the Etrex (which only has the Open Street Map basemap on). I also have the 1:50k maps on my iphone for reference on the road.
Mike

Post by Mike »

ah ok, so on ur etrex u just follow a black line with no map in back ground. Do u find that u can follow the route ok without the mapping on etrex - sorry to keep asking questions just need some knowledge of these before i buy thanks
chris n

Post by chris n »

No problem. The OSM basemap does show some bridleways and footpaths and most minor roads so it's not totally featureless. You do need to be as precise as possible about placing your track on the maps in the planning stage - 50 or 100m might not sound like much, but on the ground if there are lots of options not knowing exactly where you are can be confusing. Having the OS maps to check on my phone really helps if I get a bit stuck.
Mike

Post by Mike »

nice one cheers