The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

cyclingtiger

Re: The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Post by cyclingtiger »

It's one of those rarely enforced things but if you are involved in a collision then it's one of those situations where not being compliant makes you presumed liable.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Whilst I've no doubt you're correct about the above rules for riding in France, I've never heard of either of them.

I ride at night wearing regular clothes (and with headphones on during the day) very regularly and have never had a problem (and have never heard of anyone having a problem) and I've been living/riding in France for the last 8 years.

I know that the vest rule is true for Italy (but I ignore that rule there too!).

That being said I'll likely take a tiny vest with me and pop it on if asked (and play the ignorant tourist card if they get arsey - usually works if accompanied by an apology and compliance).
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Can confirm the reflective hi-vis requirement having been through various discussions with guys riding the Transcontinental. Also worth noting that two abreast is only permitted in daylight hours too.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
gairym

Post by gairym »

So.....life has decided that my 'training' was going too well and that I needed a light kicking to keep me on my toes.

Recent comedy events include: Mrs Gairy going to England so I've had the kids 24/7, work suddenly piling up so that I'm constantly busy and knackered, my back being strained from both of the above and then to top it all off there was a (quite nasty) car crash on Friday from which I'm only just recovering (initial concussion, whiplash and my knee is a bit buggered).

Not the best couple of weeks of my life!

Going to head out today for a tentative ride but realistically I think I need a bit more rest (ha!) before I get back on it.

So much for being prepared for this trip.

Still, it could be worse in every department and I'll just have to take a little longer and enjoy the scenery more.

Vent over, as you were.....

Cheers, Gairy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sure there'll be plenty of room towards the back with the other mountainbikers Gairy :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Gairy, maybe put your feet up and have some some craft beers?
Something like this??

http://www.beautifulbeers.co.uk/blackba ... n-blackbar

:-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

Thanks but there is no need to worry about my craft beer consumption since the accident (through the roof!), though the name of that one is particularly appropriate!
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I'm still trying to get a pass to go...

I'm thinking maybe I'll just book the tickets working on the theory it's easier to seek forgiveness than gain permission :wink:
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Do it!!! I would if I could but no chance of the time off and my body seems to have set itself to self destruct mode at present.

Oooh and talking of Italy - did you manage to put your pics into a sharable album? :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Funny in't it ... if I said I wasn't going, I'd be in sooooo much trouble.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've a few pics but can't remember if I dropped them in.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Yes your pics are in the folder on Google Taylor :)
jameso

Post by jameso »

Minor spoiler alert for those not wanting too much imagery of the route.

A group of French riders are riding the route at the moment and I'm following their ride on Instagram.
http://torino-nice.weebly.com/updates.html for links and a couple of images. It's not quite blue-dot racing but knowing the route it's been good to see the images that show which route or option they've taken along the way. Great weather, much clearer views than we had last summer. I hope my idea of 'gravel' isn't too far from theirs : )

(edit to add, sorry to hear of the crash Gairy.. hope all's well enough)
Last edited by jameso on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Borrowed the tyres from the commuter (40c) for a spin and in prep

Initial thoughts are positive (although it does look a bit odd)
Very fast rolling
Tyres are a smaller diameter so that will give me more easy gears, although I may end up spinning out on anything downwards

Downsides theres a lot of vibration on the front on anything rough (think Calderdale cobbles), but i'm hoping playing around with tyre pressures will help.

Bigger, loaded trip planned for later in the week for a bit more testing.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

To be honest, I don't think they look that odd in the photo (I'm sure they do in real life)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Chew the only thing looking odd in ya pic is ur saddle man....the nose is so low is that comfy on ya ass it don't look it :shock:

Wish I could go along also on this one maybe next yr! Although I do fancy taking the better half on the French divide route :-bd
Chew

Post by Chew »

Mike wrote:Chew the only thing looking odd in ya pic is ur saddle man....the nose is so low is that comfy on ya ass it don't look it :shock:
Keeps the weight off my sausage :wink: :shock:
gairym

Post by gairym »

rufus748 wrote:I'm still trying to get a pass to go...

I'm thinking maybe I'll just book the tickets working on the theory it's easier to seek forgiveness than gain permission :wink:
Do it!

See you there.
Chew

Post by Chew »

CTC bag arrived :-bd

Lets say its robust, but fairly heavy. Unsure if i'd want to carry up over all those climbs.

James - Do we know the options of picking up another one up in Nice?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Chew, you can get boxes at the airport but they need pre-booking and they're thin and a bit flimsy. We've used them before but only as a last resport. There's 3 bikes shops all close enough to the airport to go there, make the mechanics a brew / share biscuits (croissants?) and box your bike in the carpark there, then call a cab. Worked for us last time, I'll do the same this time.

Alternative is I can put you in touch with riders in Nice who you could post the CTC bag to?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

james how do you pre-book? This may be worth it if time pressed at the end and no bike shops open
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
jameso

Post by jameso »

Dave, they were 20 Euros I think from the Service Centre (From the site - "Your Service Centre is available in Terminal 2, Arrivals level, ground floor") - brief info here under 'making travel easy' http://en.nice.aeroport.fr/Passengers/S ... ice-Centre
Andy booked them via email so I guess it was this one service.nice1@fsbservice.fr

I think we had our own tape, not sure so worth asking.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm thinking about 'converting' my CTC bag into a tarp to ease the pain of carrying it.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I saw something about 'rinko' bike travel a while back on the BQ / Jan Haine blog. Wonder if those bag-wrapping machine services would take on a dismantled and zip-tied up bike ..
might try it : )
Chew

Post by Chew »

jameso wrote:Alternative is I can put you in touch with riders in Nice who you could post the CTC bag to?
Would be a good option.

I'm thinking about 'converting' my CTC bag into a tarp to ease the pain of carrying it.
Interested to see what you come up with. The opening is on the side rather than the top, if that makes sense.